How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Car hit 16,000 miles today...

Thanks, all. Seeing all the compliments only makes me appreciate our SVX even more.

They are indeed the stock tires. It does worry me at times, but there is no dry rot or cracking at all. At least on the surfaces I can see...

The only blemishes on the car are two small dings (could be removed by PDR easily), a couple 1 inch scratches, and some pinky nail size chips at the very bottom of the front bumper. Petty stuff for a car this old that has never had any sort of restorative work, in my opinion.

I have only polished the car once in its 16 years. Gloss was always there; the polishing was just to remove swirls. But here are my supplies... I use Menzerna Polishes (SIP, PO106FA, PO85RD) with Uber orange or green pads. Nothing too aggressive. I then put on a cleanser, Prima Amigo, which is the easiest product to use that I have ever encountered. Uber blue pad for that. For wax, either Einszett Glanz or Collinite 845 with a black pad. Usually the latter for its ease of use and durability. And Aerospace 303 for vinyl and rubber surfaces.

Last edited by fzel07wrx; 09-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I'm speechless. Please consider submitting a photo for the 2012 Calendar here:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57960

Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Registered SVX

Good news, you all can't look at my posts funny or hate me anymore haha... Even though I am 300 some miles away from the car right now, I found the VIN on another thread in another forum.

The only reason I've never put those details on here is due to forgetting to check the car's tags, or forgetting about this forum for a couple months.

I can get more details like the manufacture date when I see it again, but the VIN is a start. I'll put it over in the register thread.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Since you polished it once I think your daddy should maybe... let you sit in it sometimes!

fzel07wrx, please don't pay any attention to me... I just feel so"up-staged"

At 7:37AM today my "silver" turned 50,000 miles. I was going to come home and put the information on this form and brag about the fact that it is such a dream to drive, everything is like new, everything works like it should, gorgeous shiny paint and it is basically stock. When I found it it didn't have a spoiler on it but after a bit of debate, I drilled those holes... When we flew over to pick it up, I replaced the tires with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus the day I bought it, before I even drove it home. My only additions HID lights and a Subaru Forester automatic self dimming compass rear view mirror, so basically stock it is.

Our "pearl", if that is possible, is even better that our "silver". Even with a few more miles on it. Even the other one that we affectionately call "Burgundy" with 200K miles on it, things work! None of the visors sag on any of our cars!!

We travel a lot and are required to rent cars frequently. We never drive anything that compares to our SVX's.

fzel07wrx... a suggestion... With tires the outside appearance is basically irreverent. Tell your daddy he should replace those tires if he decides to drive the car... only if you think he should!

The car looks fantastic! Will it be yours to drive someday?

... And I don't even have a "red one" my favorite

Keith
Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX

Ha, I actually drive it more than he does these days. I'm in my last year of college, so when I go home for breaks in between quarters, I make it a priority to take it out for at least a couple hours. The battery is disconnected between these times, but driving it that frequently keeps it from fully discharging.

I know the tires' visible appearance isn't the best thing to look at when they are at this age, but there is honestly nothing that indicates that they are going bad. No little cracks, and plenty of tread. This thing is never driven hard; well no more than hitting the gas for 5-10 seconds going in a straight line.

In my first post when I said it won't be leaving the family anytime soon, that means ownership will change hands and be under my name. Should be within the next couple years.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
a suggestion... With tires the outside appearance is basically irreverent. Tell your daddy he should replace those tires if he decides to drive the car... only if you think he should!
I totally agree with Keith about the tires. I would be hesitant to drive at a high speed with the original tires.

The Bridgestone RE95 was a great tire, and matched the needs of the SVX perfectly. But tires do deteriorate over time, due to many factors, not just treadwear.

About 6 years ago. Ron Mummert and I found a 1995 Emerald SVX in Maryland with only 31,000 miles on the odometer. This car was near mint in every way and hard to fault with a detailed inspection.

The car still had the original RE95 tires, which had much tread left and no signs of cracking or aging that we could see ON THE OUTSIDE. The new owner on the network drove it back to Wisconsin without any issues, but one of the first things he did was change the tires because of dry rotting.

Personally, I would not drive any car that had tires older the 10 years. I had enough classics to know that tire replacement is one of the cheapest forms of safety. Even in my 96 Polo, the compact spare (never used), has been replaced. My tires get replaced at 3 year or 30,000 mile intervals, whichever comes first. No exceptions.

These videos could save your life.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgkCezxP0c

Our 15 year old, hoses, vacuum lines, head gaskets and seals fail with age, not mileage. Why should tires be any different?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Registered SVX

I know it's not the best. It's a topic of conversation every year between my dad and I.

No need to talk about the tires anymore.

Hoses, seals, gaskets are also exposed to heat and moisture. Two things these tires do not see as much.

I'm all for changing the tires, it just hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by fzel07wrx; 09-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Registered SVX

Very nice car, you are lucky. Always nice to know the owner appreciates it. I do have a feeling there are many more low mileage SVXs that are not on any of these forums. I know of a local '92 that has 11 000 miles (18 000 km) and found another on the local craigslist today with 20 000 mi (33 000 km). http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...579537785.html

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Speaking of ultra-low mileage SVXs, I wonder what happened to LearJeff?

Back in 2002, he was the member who bought a new 1997 SVX with 121 original miles. Owned by a Subaru dealer who had it in his showroom for for years and it was never registered or titled.

Went on ebay back then for $50,000. No takers then, but finally sold for $29,000.

A most interesting thread...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...p?t=3847&pp=15

But I am sure he could not resist the temptation to drive it the past 9 years and that the 16K record still stands

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Speaking of ultra-low mileage SVXs, I wonder what happened to LearJeff?

Back in 2002, he was the member who bought a new 1997 SVX with 121 original miles. Owned by a Subaru dealer who had it in his showroom for for years and it was never registered or titled.

Went on ebay back then for $50,000. No takers then, but finally sold for $29,000.

A most interesting thread...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...p?t=3847&pp=15

But I am sure he could not resist the temptation to drive it the past 9 years and that the 16K record still stands
I ended up buying that car in 2009 with 33,000 miles. Today it is just under 40k miles.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52316
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

So does it still have the new car smell?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
So does it still have the new car smell?
Assuming this is directed towards me since it's my thread, it does. Plus, not a wear or tear mark visible in the leather. Keeping it out of sunlight has its benefits, along with a proper yearly cleaning using leather products.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

What an absolutely gorgeous SVX! I'm very impressed by the RE95s. If you do decide to replace the tires, please hang on to the RE95s for me. I will purchase them.

I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus that Keith mentioned. I have them on my A6, and they're just fantastic! Another good choice is the Continental ContiExtreme Contact DWS. They're less expensive and are similar in performance and comfort.
2001 Audi S8
Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
What an absolutely gorgeous SVX! I'm very impressed by the RE95s. If you do decide to replace the tires, please hang on to the RE95s for me. I will purchase them.

I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus that Keith mentioned. I have them on my A6, and they're just fantastic! Another good choice is the Continental ContiExtreme Contact DWS. They're less expensive and are similar in performance and comfort.
I have the continentals on my car. They are good tires.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I'll keep you in mind when we replace them... but why would you want 15 year old tires at that point?

I'm pretty well-versed in tires though, so no need for anymore suggestions.