Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

I personally did what no one should have done... turn their passion into their job. I quickly came to a hard realization that this club... this car is dying... and fast. I also gtew up a little and realized there is more to life than that as it consumed my life and wallet. I somehow escaped only $35000 in debt from the shop and lost a mere $40000 selling my pride and joy for $6500. I have since worked my ass off to get my head back above water financially... bought a great car which in some ways has a lot of the same qualities as the svx with less of the drawbacks. I have bought my own townhouse where i get to house and not wrench on my car and bike every waking moment of the day. Life is more practical and enjoyable for me this way. For others this is not the.life they want...

If this iis what you want persue it with passion and not regret.

Tom
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Registered SVX

There seems to be a trend that has happened here among many of the members posting in this thread. The SVX has consumed a significant part of their lives. I think the reason is this...

It is supposed to be fun. This car is on the cusp of what once was a recent model/daily driver and is now an obscure, rare, complex hobbyist car.

Anyone still trying to make this car the former is in for a divorce.

I think it has reached the latter. That's why I chose to retire my car and make it a fun weekend thing that I can work on and drive and have fun with. You don't see many car guys driving their Hot Rod, European classic, or even Japanese classic to pick up the kids and go shopping.

The SVX is turning 20 years old now. We should start treating it as such.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 08-15-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This thread is depressing.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
This thread is depressing.
Only b/c you're looking out the window at your breeder buggie.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM

It's taken me around $13K over 13 years (total includes stem-to-stern paint job) to get my 92 to where it is running essentially like new. Added to the cash purchase price in 1997, I've got about $28 K into it.

I prefer the SVX to a late-model anything, and consider the costs pretty average, really. It hasn't cost me any more than what relatively low car payments would have over those years.

Added bonus: now, after all the sleuthing and repair and adjustments I know the car really well (for a non-mechanical person), and I know the car is solid, no rust, etc. The car is also kept inside, in our underground garage.

I do not see why I won't be driving it 10 years from now, and maybe even 20 .. with a very big smile on my face.

92 Mercedes Benz 300CE, Arctic White 187,000 kms
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I quickly came to a hard realization that this club... this car is dying... and fast.
This was the point I was going to start with, as well.

I believe that anyone who owns one (or more, as it were) of these eventually comes to the crossroads where they face the reality that the SVX is a car that you'll take a bath on, and that you should probably stuff a pair of in the backyard to keep your primary running.

I can see why Tom would want out of the Silver. I believe I also know why he built it. The car's got outrageous celebrity status at the track and in any given parking lot, and it's a mother of a mover. On the other hand, the fuel economy is dismal, many of the comfort features are gone, the engine is quite taxed, and it's full of proprietary parts.

Beyond that, though, I am concerned about any loss to the machine. The support for the car that does exist is dwindling, and the ownership base is shifting in the wrong financial direction for the species to survive. Book value would produce a total out of a slight bit of damage.

Do I regret my purchase? Not a chance. Would I buy an SVX after this one? It's hard to say, but I'd wager that I wouldn't.

I've found my way to the crossroads, and I'm sitting on the curb killing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
If this iis what you want persue it with passion and not regret.
The SVX is a car that demands that your heart has more pull than your wallet and common sense when it comes to decision making, period.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

The most important thing is to keep persepctive. It is just a car. Our deaths are barely significant in the cosmic scheme of things. The death of a "thing" is really quite meaningless.

As for practicality, it is hard to say if buying/owning/driving this car was a good financial decision until the end. The story will be different for everyone. I paid $5K for a rust free car with about 74,000 miles on it and in pretty good shape. From now until the day I sell it or junk it, I will spend some amount maintaining and repairing it. In the end that will total to some amount per year that I spent. I'm not sure how that will compare with driving a new car (probably a 6 cylinder legacy or outback) for the same number of years or buying and driving a 2-3 year old used car for the same number of years. I am sure I will be doing the math when the time comes as it is always wise to evaluate your decisions and learn from them. I am willing to bet I will be pretty indifferent to the findings as I bet there will have been little difference between the paths. With that assumption, I will live in the day and accept what each day brings. There is little to nothing to gain by living in the past or the future. It is a waste of spiritual energy.

I will maintain the car the best I can with the time I have and I will let go of it when the time is right. My kids will see that and hopefully live their lives with respect for but without attachment to material things. Hell, it is a month later and I still haven't started trying to catch the little delinquents that messed with my car. Yeah, the scratches and gouges bother me a little when I see them. I am aware of what is going on in my head when the emotions arise. Then I just let it go with a "that sucks but I am not going to let it ruin my day". After all, it is only a plastic part and the car has other dings and scratches on it so I don't drive it show off its pristine beauty anyways.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Building it up only to let it go - those who've jumped ship. *LONG*

That's why I chose to retire my car and make it a fun weekend thing that I can work on and drive and have fun with. You don't see many car guys driving their Hot Rod, European classic, or even Japanese classic to pick up the kids and go shopping.

The SVX is turning 20 years old now. We should start treating it as such.

The philosophy expressed by this gentleman pretty much sums up my feelings about the purpose of any "vintage" vehicle that faces a decline in parts & service availability. If it's a reliable commuter car that you're looking for, buy a used mega-massed produced "gofer-mobile", that holds little nostalgic or monetary value. When it dies, buy another one on the cheap. My '96 Caravan is a perfect example. When the tranny expires, it goes directly to the crusher. While the SVX can be a great project car, I see too many "kids" scraping the bottom of the piggy bank just to impress a knowledge-less public with a car displaying funny windows.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Well, it could be worse. My last dalliance with a "rare collector car" was the British Rover Sterling... a big, boxy euro-sedan with an Acura V6 that resulted from an unholy alliance between Rover and Honda. The Sterling was sold in the US from 1987-91 and then quietly buried in the annals of auto history and disowned by all parties involved.

Like many British cars before it, sales of the Sterling in the US ceased just as they got the bugs worked out of it. I tried to keep one of several Sterlings that I owned alive and running up until about two years ago, but dealer, manufacturer, or aftermarket support is about .01 above zero. You can't even order parts from Rover in Europe for them. If it didn't have an Acura Legend engine and drivetrain, I never would have bothered in the first place. Of course many of the electronic components were produced by the "Prince of Darkness" aka Lucas.

At least with my SVX I can go to the Subaru dealership and get acknowledgement that the car I'm driving actually DOES exist...

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 08-15-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Registered SVX

My Dad Has a couple of Jowetts. The very Last Jowetts were made in 1954.
Jowett is the oldest one make car club in the world.
You can get parts for most things. Even last year they started casting up new crank cases for the Javlin. The 1st batch of 20 or 40 had sold out.
Still can parts for vetrain Jowetts etc.
Most people in the club isnt well off either.

Its gone on so well since parts were availble to keep them on the road.
They have lots of car rallys and car runs for members to go on.

I still think I will get another SVX and keep it for a long time. Its a hobby car for me so it wont be daily driven.
I got very little interest in other newer cars.
Mind you im looking forward to seeing what the production Subyota is like.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 08-15-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
It is just a car.
Just a car, Tony

My grandmother would wash your mouth out with soap

Keith
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 AM

The other day I made the mistake of looking-up the KBB trade-in value of my cars. Yes, they're essentially worthless. Conventional wisdom says it makes no sense to spend anything on a car that has little or no market value.

Then again, does it make sense to drop $30,000 on some new something and watch it lose half its value within 4 years (nevermind whatever interest you pay on the note)? I just can't afford to piss away that kind of dough. Driving is an expensive proposition, no matter the make or model year. Sometimes I look at my cars and think, that's FIFTY SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of automobiles sitting there. Cost me a little over five, plus what I've spent to keep 'em running. Somebody lost a very large chunk of change on those things.

Guess I've been lucky compared with most of you, as I've invested relatively little time or money in my cars; certainly no more than in anything else of similar vintage. Mainly I just pump-in gas, check the fluids and air pressure every couple of weekends, and drive. And I keep one eye open for something for around ten grand. Then I think, man, if I'm gonna unload ten grand, why don't I just spend it on the cars I already know and love? Then I spend a little for tires or whatever and rationalize: Now I have to drive it for another XX months to get my money's worth. It's a vicious cycle.

dcb
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The difference between you and me (and I'll speak for our resident pilot as well) is that your roads don't see the salt that ours do. The longer we keep the cars we drive in the snow, the harder it is to take them apart, and the more holes there are in their bodies.

Long term cars here are called "summer cars" and "winter rats".
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM

No snow, no salt (West Coast) and kept inside every night sure helps a lot.

92 Mercedes Benz 300CE, Arctic White 187,000 kms
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Time to chime in.

Philosophical question: Why does one eventually fall out of love?

Doesn't really matter whether it's a person, thing or pass time or something else; the question remains the same.

For some the infatuation of the crush just ends. Others didn't really experience love, just lust. Some just can't live with those niggling little things and give up when it gets ugly. Some have what they feel as an epiphany and change direction. Some can't face the eventual euthanasia. Some come to the realization that their love has to move on without them. The reasons are endless.

Were you/are you/will you be in love with a car? Yes/yes/humm?

It's not about the money. It's about the love.

All that being said. Having a great community for support sure helps keep the love alive.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.