Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 AM

Registered SVX
injector replacements?/suspension replacements?/seat replacements

My 92 is been having a dripping injector issue for quite a while now, and I'm getting tired of having to crank longer than necessary to get it to start when warm. What is everyone doing for fuel injector replacement? Part numbers are greatly appreciated!

Also suspension on my 92 needs to be replaced. I dont need anything really fancy, No 4000 dollar suspension going on this car just yet, the winters that his car endures tends to wear out struts faster than normal (oil leaks kill them) I know there is been problems with the older dealer replacement struts IIRC, is there any cheaper aftermarket struts people are using like KYB or Monroe's? Again Part numbers if you got them.

And lastly, seat replacements. My drivers seat as an ass pocket in it, thats almost unbearable to sit and drive in. It makes getting out of the car almost impossible without grabbing on to the door to pull yourself out of the car. I dont want to have to keep doing that cuz its gonna wear out the door panel and the door hinges. Is there any other Subaru seat thats a direct bolt up in it? I dont really need STi seats, but Forester GT seats or Legacy GT seats might not be too bad if they work. Who's using what out there?

Thnaks guys
Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: injector replacements?/suspension replacements?/seat replacements

With the suspension, only thing really worth getting is Koni's and they'll run you around $1500. If your going to get new seats, I'd spring for the STi ones asy around $500 because anything aftermarket our from another car you'll have to make a custom bracket for.

This is the cost of being an SVX owner. Doing anything, even maintainance to our cars isn't cheap. Its not a Neon or a CRX. $2000 for two things seems crazy but I can honestly say you'll be happy with the results when your finished.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
With the suspension, only thing really worth getting is Koni's and they'll run you around $1500.
This is untrue unless you're going with the Ground Control/Koni combination (coil-overs), which you already stated you were not looking to do. Koni strut "inserts" can be retrofitted into your existing strut housings after cutting and removing the original piston assemblies. This is a very nice upgrade you will not regret, as they are adjustable and carry a lifetime warranty from a very reputable company. Ride quality is not degraded, and handling most certainly is improved. (thanks alia176!)
Available here: http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...svx19fron.html

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 03-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
This is untrue unless you're going with the Ground Control/Koni combination (coil-overs), which you already stated you were not looking to do. Koni strut "inserts" can be retrofitted into your existing strut housings after cutting and removing the original piston assemblies. This is a very nice upgrade you will not regret, as they are adjustable and carry a lifetime warranty from a very reputable company. Ride quality is not degraded, and handling most certainly is.
Available here: http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...svx19fron.html

Glenn
Didn't notice he wasn't looking to do an entire overhaul of the suspension. Guess I shouldn't try to read and respond to whole posts on my phone, lol.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

No problem Brett. I just didn't want to discourage the poor guy!

To add, I believe someone on the board sells them a bit under the CG price. svxfiles perhaps?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
No problem Brett. I just didn't want to discourage the poor guy!

To add, I believe someone on the board sells them a bit under the CG price. svxfiles perhaps?

Glenn
Lol trust me, I'm all over that at the moment. I happen to be getting a complete suspension done sometime this month.

I like that you have cheaper alternatives though. Spending money hurts my wallet.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

You can probably get used injectors from someone here who has gone to an ecutune stage 2.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
lifetime warranty from a very reputable company. Ride quality is not degraded, and handling most certainly is.
Glenn
pardon me, are you saying that handling IS degraded or is that a typo?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
pardon me, are you saying that handling IS degraded or is that a typo?
Nag. nag, nag...
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

I stand corrected, as does my post. Thanks for the "nag".

Glenn

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX

as for the struts, IIRC There is an aftermarket strut that people use thats not koni. It was something along the lines of an upgraded OEM strut or something because the originals only lasted a less than a year or something.
- For the inserts route, does anyone have a writeup or pictures of where the cuts need to be made? or does the kit come with directions? 800 dollars is do-able for struts seeing as ones of a lego are 125-150 a piece.

as for fullout coilovers, imo its a waste of money for an svx These cars are too heavy and the suspension is too outdated to justify spending that kind of money on suspension. If I was going to throw 1500 dollars on shocks/struts I'd put it on an STi or something newer, lighter with more hp. If these cars were more common and if HP per $ was lower, I'd love to mod the svx.

As for the seats, any subaru seat will fit with simple mods of the bolt on bracket to the bottom of it. I've retrofitted many seats in lots of other subarus just not SVX's. I imagine the floor pan layout is identical to the legacy chassis since most of the car is already based off the legacy chassis to begin with. I guess some heated leather 99 Legacy GT seats will go in then. STi seats are too hard to come by where I live.

Whats the flowrate on the stock EG33 injectors? I may throw some EJ253 Injectors on there seeing how each of the EG33 cylinders is exactly proportionate to EJ22E cylinders, just having 2 more of them. EJ253 injectors should have a slightly higher flowrate iirc
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
as for the struts, IIRC There is an aftermarket strut that people use thats not koni. It was something along the lines of an upgraded OEM strut or something because the originals only lasted a less than a year or something.
- For the inserts route, does anyone have a writeup or pictures of where the cuts need to be made? or does the kit come with directions? 800 dollars is do-able for struts seeing as ones of a lego are 125-150 a piece.

as for fullout coilovers, imo its a waste of money for an svx These cars are too heavy and the suspension is too outdated to justify spending that kind of money on suspension. If I was going to throw 1500 dollars on shocks/struts I'd put it on an STi or something newer, lighter with more hp. If these cars were more common and if HP per $ was lower, I'd love to mod the svx.

As for the seats, any subaru seat will fit with simple mods of the bolt on bracket to the bottom of it. I've retrofitted many seats in lots of other subarus just not SVX's. I imagine the floor pan layout is identical to the legacy chassis since most of the car is already based off the legacy chassis to begin with. I guess some heated leather 99 Legacy GT seats will go in then. STi seats are too hard to come by where I live.

Whats the flowrate on the stock EG33 injectors? I may throw some EJ253 Injectors on there seeing how each of the EG33 cylinders is exactly proportionate to EJ22E cylinders, just having 2 more of them. EJ253 injectors should have a slightly higher flowrate iirc
Dude the SVX isn't about raw power or more hp and what's most popular.

I say go with Koni's if you want a great product and a lasting suspension on an amazing car.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

I needed some injectors...Subaru still stocks them at $100+ per. Get a set of used injectors, and send them off to be cleaned/rebuilt/flow-tested at someplace like Deatschwerks at $19 per injector. My $.02
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

I can answer the strut question, with Yes, the Koni's come with instructions on how to measure and cut the housings. I like doing them manually with a hacksaw after trying a saws-all for one strut. Easier to be accurate that way.

Glenn

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Registered SVX

I'll be ordering the cartridges here soon, I looked at some struts today at work and it doesnt look too complicated to cut out the cartridge and then tack weld them back in place.

thanks for the advice. as for injectors for now I'm gonna throw on a few off a 95 I found. Anything will be better than a drippy injector. So tired of the bad hot starts.

thanks for the advice