Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Speaker replacement

It would appear that the speakers in my car are crumbling to pieces, Fortunately I have some large speaker suitable for the rear that came out my Pajero Evo and with a bit of cursing have got them in the rear. My car is the CXD with the Panasonic double unit and the cd caddy in the rear. I've popped out the front component tweeters and they fell to pieces but I'm having a problem getting the door cover off to replace the 4-5 inch speakers which are also flapping about does anyone know how to remove the door card? so far I've removed to two screws and popped the fixings but it wont go any further and I don't want to butcher it, also any idea what the wiring is, the tweeter has a resistor am I right in thinking thats signal and the other is earth?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Speaker replacement

.'

Removing the door panel is easy. There are 5 screws.

Open the door and take out the 2 screws on the front edge of the door panel, near the door hinge.

There is another screw located under the door handle, hidden behind the plastic plate which justs pops out with a small-bladed screwdriver (preferably magnetic)

There are also 2 more screws hidden under the felt mat inside the door armrest. Just peel it away to expose the screws, These are the most important ones as they hold the entire armrest to the door frame. You cannot remove the panel with these screws in place.

Once all screws are removed, just pop the clips around the bottom of the door panel my pulling gently. Once free, lift the entire panel up slightly and pull away from the door frame to see the wiring. There are 2 electrical connectors that must be disconnected; one is for the power window switch cluster and one is for the door courtesy light.

Replacement is the reverse order. The only possible minor hassle is lining up the door lock button to slide into the door panel opening, but usually it is not a problem.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-22-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Thank you do you have any idea as to which wires are which for the speakers?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Registered SVX

http://ae64.com/AudioInstall-2.htm#2...adioConnPinout

This help? The wires should be the same color on the speaker side as on the radio side. (column A)
Unfortunately I ripped out all the original wiring and ran new wire, so my pics would not be helpful.

Far as the tweeters go, I agree that the filter should be on the + line. So the one without the filter is your ground.
But once again, my pics wont help because I went with aftermarket tweeters with there own external passive crossovers.

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 07-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks I'm going to work on the basis that the wire with the capacitor is the signal as I'm sure it must be. I have had no trouble with the door speaker as it had + on one and I have replaced that with a 51/2 component that fits just right and I've superglued the new 1 inch tweeter under the existing dash mounted tweeter grill so all looks stock.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just to let you know, the stock speaker is 6 1/2 inches. 5 1/2 would probably work as well though.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Just to let you know, the stock speaker is 6 1/2 inches. 5 1/2 would probably work as well though.
Yes thats right I did replace them with single component 6 1/2 and a tweeter in the dash. All wired in now and they are not out of phase so I'm just going to enjoy the sounds. Prior to buying the car it was parked up at Subaru's car park for about 8 years so all the speakers were like paper and crumbled the door speakers had no edge so just flapped so its a great impovement.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
Yes thats right I did replace them with single component 6 1/2 and a tweeter in the dash. All wired in now and they are not out of phase so I'm just going to enjoy the sounds. Prior to buying the car it was parked up at Subaru's car park for about 8 years so all the speakers were like paper and crumbled the door speakers had no edge so just flapped so its a great impovement.
I know exactly how you feel. The door speakers in my silver were in about the same shape.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

I have always been of the opinion that the original door speakers got raggedy assed because people put new stereos in that had too much RMS watts. Maybe they also got torn because of material degradation? That thought did not occur.

It is commonly accepted that the original door speakers are the weak link, very poor. The large OEM ones on the rear shelf are not too bad, but the door ones are rubbish.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I have always been of the opinion that the original door speakers got raggedy assed because people put new stereos in that had too much RMS watts. Maybe they also got torn because of material degradation? That thought did not occur.

It is commonly accepted that the original door speakers are the weak link, very poor. The large OEM ones on the rear shelf are not too bad, but the door ones are rubbish.

Joe
It's because on most cars, the plastic lining that you find inside the door usually goes behind the speakers as well. In the svx, it does not. So when water drains down through the door, it hits the speaker which is made up of a simple paper cone, and it deteriorates. That is my belief and unless it's proven differently, it will be my stance.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Registered SVX

Check out the surround on my original door speaker.
The paper cone is actually still intact, but the surround became brittle and turned to dust.

This was still playing music in this condition, Kinda crazy.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM

Registered SVX

Lookin: that's what mine looked like too and still played music. I don't know why I said the cone deteriorates
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 AM

Yes thats exactly what mine looked like but the little dash mounted tweeters just crumbled, as you say they still worked it was only on the odd bit of heavy bass that you got a sound similar to a fart and thats when I investigated.
I managed to fit a 6 1/2 single component speaker in the door

Last edited by DJW svx; 07-28-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: