Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Spontaneous radiator combustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Yeah. Going to test the block as soon as I get a day off, or get one of those HFC test kits, but I don't know how much good that'll do since just about all the coolant was shot out the gaping hole in the top of the radiator.

There is no fuse in the AC slot. So, no wonder the fan didn't work.

I will not jump on the head gasket bandwagon just yet, I have a shred of hope. I really really really don't want 2 good looking Subies in my parking lot with blown head gaskets.

All day I've felt like a girlfriend just dumped me, I was enjoying this car so much till yesterday afternoon. Feeling kinda sick with depression.

Some good news will come though, I hope.
I know the feeling, it has happened to me...... have you not checked into your state laws regarding lemons? Wouldnt it be nice to just give the car back and get your cash returned?

If there is an Autozone nearby they do loan out the block tester kits, you just buy the fluid. Verify first.... then you should find out any legal recourse..... sometimes even the threat of small claims litigation will prompt the person to return your money. You may have to take it to a shop to verify the HG leak and put it on paper for evidence that it was diagnosed shortly after purchase. Id try to get your money back so you dont have another headache.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM

I don't think the Lemon laws can help me. The sale price on the bill of sale is not entirely accurate.....
Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I don't think the Lemon laws can help me. The sale price on the bill of sale is not entirely accurate.....
Lemon laws don't typically apply the same way in every state either. I know I looked into it once and they said the car had to be taken in for repair for atleast 3 times, either the same issue or equivilant major issues. Then it would be covered under lemon law. It also gave the impression that it was for newer cars or cars covered under warranties. The buy as is where is stuff is pretty water tight unless you can prove that they intentionally misrepresented the vehicle. But you would have better luck in small claims courts if that was the case and the cost of $$ and time to do that makes it difficult to bother with.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Yeah, it really wouldn't be worth my time. I'll just make lemonaide.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Well if you dont have the cash to drop into a HG repair..... and I cant believe im saying this..... but you can always try Blue Devil block repair..... its a big fat bottle of blue gunk you run in your engine that supposively seals HG leaks. The stuff that you found already was most likely cooling system sealant only.

I would only try this crap AFTER you verified the HG is bad, and before you get rid of the car. It is the ultimate band-aid hackjob fix and I dont wanna know how hard it is to get out of the system..... so only do it if you plan to NOT fix it the right way and keep the car.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:40 AM

I couldn't do that to this poor old engine. It's just crossed the 230K mark before this happened and it really seems to have a lot of life left. It deserves better than that. I'll buy the gaskets and do it with the help of some friends with an engine lift. I want 350K out of this engine.

Or....perhaps....if only for long enough to locate a suitable donor engine. Damn, I'm considering it now....

Sway me, somebody?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Lemon laws typically only cover brand new vehicles. Additionally, you can't buy a car with 200k+ miles on it, and expect it to not have problems.
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX

A reseal job is not very difficult for the mechanically inclined. It will not be "cheap", but it would probably cost less than court and all the hassle associated with that course of action.

There are multiple things that you will need to plan on paying for outside of all the gaskets. You will in all likeliness need the following -

Engine Reseal Kit
Timing Belt
Acc. Belts
Vacuum Hoses for Intake Manifold
A Couple of Random Sensors
Engine Mount Rubber Cushions
Iris Valve
EGR Valve

The timing belt is most likely old if the previous owner did not take care of it. The vacuum hoses are most likely original and will have suffered bad hose rot. I would bet there is at least one sensor that will need to be addressed at 230K. My car had 187K when the engine was pulled and my Rubber Cushions were split in 2. At 230K you will most likely have to replace your Iris Valve, and clean or replace your EGR valve.

All in all, probably cost you around $1000 depending on how much you pay for parts. That may be a bad estimate though, because I get dealer cost...but to be honest, Subaruparts.com is pretty close to the same price.

Good Luck!

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I couldn't do that to this poor old engine. It's just crossed the 230K mark before this happened and it really seems to have a lot of life left. It deserves better than that. I'll buy the gaskets and do it with the help of some friends with an engine lift. I want 350K out of this engine.

Or....perhaps....if only for long enough to locate a suitable donor engine. Damn, I'm considering it now....

Sway me, somebody?
There are a few ways to go about it, you buy the parts to fix yours now with plenty of down time to do it correctly. Or you pull this engine for rebuild over time and put in an engine that is known good $600-$800 depending. You may find deals through this network or you can take your chances and buy one and cross your fingers on water pump, timing belt, and headgaskets on it. Or you can try and do the quick turn around fix but makes for tight spaces and knuckle busting blood sweat and tears type maintenance, that is just doing your HG and I believe there have been some who have done it with the engine still in the car. Plenty of options and choices though
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Registered SVX

If you are doing your headgasket it would be worth pulling the engine and doing it right. There are definately other things that will need addressed besides the HG. Best to do them while they are easily accessible.

However, putting a temporary engine in while you rebuild yours is not a bad idea. Then you can rebuild the temp. one and sell it to recoup some cost.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I've only got funds for a fix, or a new engine, not both, yet.

Everything is going wrong. Every time I put a fuse in the AC/fan slot, it blows when I turn the car on. Hmmmm.....
Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I've only got funds for a fix, or a new engine, not both, yet.

Everything is going wrong. Every time I put a fuse in the AC/fan slot, it blows when I turn the car on. Hmmmm.....
Hold on are you fans working at all?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 PM

No, there was no fuse when I bought the car. It hadn't overheated in the 500 miles I put on it, even in some previous stop and go driving, so I figured the fans were working properly. It didn't even cross my mind till after the radiator blew. The needle started creeping, and I didn't hear the fans come on.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
No, there was no fuse when I bought the car. It hadn't overheated in the 500 miles I put on it, even in some previous stop and go driving, so I figured the fans were working properly. It didn't even cross my mind till after the radiator blew. The needle started creeping, and I didn't hear the fans come on.
Before assuming HG find the short causing the fans not to work.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Before assuming HG find the short causing the fans not to work.
Agreed, you can't expect your engine to stay cool if your fans aren't working or are blowing fuses. HG would be the most likely IF your fans and everything else was working (i.e. thermostat etc). Try disconnecting both fans put in the fuse. Does fuse blow?
If no, connect one fan, does fuse blow?
if no, connect other fan, fuse should blow.

if it blows at the first step you have a short in the wiring, if it blows in the second or third step, you should suspect a shorted fan, I don't remember if the wiring is long enough to swap say Fan (A) with Fan (B) but that can also help you isolate further. Beyond these steps you would need a multimeter to begin doing continuity checks and checks for shorts.