SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Re: Trans resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Keith,

You have made a definitive statement as above, specially emphasised in red. Can you be sure that the modification caused the ruin of the transmission and if so, exactly how and what happened? This is vital information of universal interest and requires confirmation.

I would have thought that because the modification operates only intermittently and is adjustable, there should be very limited cause for concern.
Trevor, obviously the smallcar transmission kit is your "resistor of choice"
You call it "making shifts more abrupt"
I call it "rougher shifting"

It is easy to see how our both trying to say the same thing with different wording could easily develop into a major confrontation.

Lets just compromise and call it "more abrupt shifting"
On the outside chance that you are not into compromising, Trevor, Lets do this...
Accept the fact that my statement was simply in no way intended for your eyes, of addressed to you.
I don't think that you would agree with anyone on anything even if they called it rough shifting, and you were 100% sure that inducing rough shifting or abrupt shifting into the operation of a transmission could destroy the thing...

The few times you have given anyone any credit for any measure of knowledge are the times that they copy-paste back in one of your statements into their posting.

Cheers,

Keith

Incidentally Trevor, it isn't "emphasised in red"... it's "emphasized in red"

More Cheers

Last edited by kwren; 04-19-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added "" "" for "emphasised in red"... it's "emphasized in red"
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Keith,
I would have thought that because the modification operates only intermittently and is adjustable, there should be very limited cause for concern.
My limited cause for concern was $4,000.00
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Registered SVX

4,000!!!! Why did you not get a rebuild from LAN!? Didn't you say some time ago you had gone through 4 of the Factory rebuilt trannys?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 PM

Registered SVX

thanks trevor for the explication.
ok, i'll gonna think about someting to have more fast shifting but whitout depend of the life of the transmition ....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Trevor, obviously the smallcar transmission kit is your "resistor of choice"
You call it "making shifts more abrupt"
I call it "rougher shifting"

It is easy to see how our both trying to say the same thing with different wording could easily develop into a major confrontation.

Lets just compromise and call it "more abrupt shifting"
On the outside chance that you are not into compromising, Trevor, Lets do this...
Accept the fact that my statement was simply in no way intended for your eyes, of addressed to you.
I don't think that you would agree with anyone on anything even if they called it rough shifting, and you were 100% sure that inducing rough shifting or abrupt shifting into the operation of a transmission could destroy the thing...

The few times you have given anyone any credit for any measure of knowledge are the times that they copy-paste back in one of your statements into their posting.

Cheers,

Keith

Incidentally Trevor, it isn't "emphasised in red"... it's "emphasized in red"

More Cheers

Keith,

For once will you please understand and answer a simple and logical question, without a barrage of nastiness and sarcasm.

Your words. “I put one on my car and it ruined my transmission. Causes rougher shifting and that is not a good thing.”

Two individual sentences, two separate statements each covering a separate individual fact.

I now gather that you meant to say, “I put one on my car and it ruined the way my transmission shifted. Causes rougher shifting and that is not a good thing.”

What you in fact stated was, that the kit ruined your transmission. The reason for this being that it had caused rougher shifting.

Incidentally Keith when you endeavour to score off me, make very sure that in every respect you know what you are on about.

I am of English decent and I speak English. The English know their own language and standard English is confirmed by the Standard Oxford dictionary. This emphasises the spelling as being “emphasised” regardless of your US ideas. The spell check on my Mac also agrees with “emphasised”. What is more the colour was/is red.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Why is it that every freakin' thread you are in Trevor has to turn into a pissing contest? Dude if you didn't know, you come off as the most self righteous pompous a-hole on the planet.

This is way out of character for me and to everyone else I apologize. What I cant understand is why this is allowed to continue.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Yeah each thread with argumets in it is going to be set on fire by me..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

In all fairness to Trevor, he was simply looking for info from Kwren who then responded with this

There are specific reasons as to why Trevor as well as a few others are looking for this specific information.

And to add to this thread, if you want a way to have firmer and better shifts, a properly modified valve body is the proper way to achieve this. The problem with that is they cost a few hundred dollars and most of the people on this forum are a bunch of cheap a$$es and see the $60 or $100 or whatever they cost "quick change" or modified resistors and go that route!

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-20-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX

I would like to know as well...

Keith, did you pinpoint the shift kit as a cause for failure?

If so, how? Please explain the mechanics behind what happened to cause your tranny to fail.

An inability to do so does not reflect poorly upon you keith, it only means that words should be chosen more carefully. Maybe "I believe the shift kit ruined my tranny" would be more appropriate.

Also, it is okay for arguments to arise here and they should be encouraged. But name calling, attacks on individuals, and sarcastic condescending comments should not.

And, in trevors defense,he does not seem to care who you are, but what is said. He constantly makes an effort towards the truth. He does not hand out hack advice when someone gives a vague description of a "common" problem. He asks for more information/steers people towards proper diagnostics. There is A LOT to be said for that

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 04-20-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX

wait! i dont like when threat going to fire like this!
so please, be cool people!
i'm noob on svx tech, so i like have all solutions and tastes of "olders".
sorry to tell that, but i like the way trevor explain things.
it's precise and easy to understand.
i dont tell it's the good way, i mean, it's a good explaination of does he think about the problem.
anyway, keep it easy all and explain whit precision what do you think whitout going to a war for know who are right or not.
thanks people! see ya!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

[QUOTE=1986nate;643623]In all fairness to Trevor, he was simply looking for info from Kwren who then responded with this

There are specific reasons as to why Trevor as well as a few others are looking for this specific information.

And to add to this thread, if you want a way to have firmer and better shifts, a properly modified valve body is the proper way to achieve this. The problem with that is they cost a few hundred dollars and most of the people on this forum are a bunch of cheap a$$es and see the $60 or $100 or whatever they cost "quick change" or modified resistors and go that route![/QUOTE]

Quote:
Nate
In all fairness to Trevor, he was simply looking for info from Kwren.
No. It is Trevor looking for an argument. Thats why he makes opening statments like this.
Quote:
For once will you please understand and answer a simple and logical question, without a barrage of nastiness and sarcasm.

Nate, can you tell me how a modified valve body will prevent the TCU from reducing the clutch/band engagement pressure, when the shift is made. Or how the valve body mods can reduce the long lag during the shift? This is the cause of the weak shifts, that the TCU produces.

The "cheap" Quick Change cures both of these problems, at the sorce, the TCU.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
4,000!!!! Why did you not get a rebuild from LAN!? Didn't you say some time ago you had gone through 4 of the Factory rebuilt trannys?
I did...
That is just on one car
Keith
Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Keith,
Your words. “I put one on my car and it ruined my transmission. Causes rougher shifting and that is not a good thing.”

I now gather that you meant to say, “I put one on my car and it ruined the way my transmission shifted. Causes rougher shifting and that is not a good thing.”
Maybe "ruined the way my transmission shifted"could be better translated as...

Rough shifting...
soon with the rougher shifting, the transmission started slipping and the car stopped its forward motion...
I called AAA... (all SVX owners are members of AAA)
One hour later they showed up and my SVX was towed to the local Subaru dealer...
I told the dealer that my car "wouldn't go".
They didn't say... "prove it buddy"
The Dealer simply ordered me a Rebuilt Subaru transmission...
provided me with a new Subaru loaner...

About a week later I brought them $4,000.00, gave back the loaner, and drove my SVX home, minus that smallcar kit and my $4,000.00

Sorry, but if you compare the people that research and develop the systems in these cars with the group on this form, you might find that the research and development folks, that group of people, are a bit farther up on the scale of evolution than the "know it all folk" is on this form.

That is not to say that there is not a wealth of valuable information to be acquired on this form. I am so thankful for each person that is willing to step out and provide information that they believe could be useful to others.

Maybe it is just me, but most everything I have learned in my lifetime I have had to be helped by others... people that were willing to unselfishly take me under their wing and spend their valuable time trying to, in some instances, attempting to get the information to "soak into my skull"

If I see that a flood has washed out a bridge, and I know you are headed down that road unaware of the impending disaster... even though Trevor would challenge me for warning you before I had positive scientific proof that the flood actually caused it... I would warn you anyway.

But that is just me...

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-20-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post