Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
was inches away from getting the svx on the road today

but when i fired it up to make sure everything was running well, i walked around the front of the car, and after the car running for about 10 min, i noticed a pretty large puddle under the engine right under the lower radiator hose area. i emptied 2 cans of parts cleaner, and restarted the car, and it was only leaking out of one spot, everything else was spotless.

if you look here http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ghlight=timing and find idler number two on the bottom, and look at the bolt hole directly under it, it is the only part that has drips comeing down. any ideas? also, oddly, the fluid was a prurple/red color.

im figureing i may just take the timing cover off, and see what the problem is. do a new timing belt while im in there, cant hurt i figure. any other suggestions on things to replace while i'm in the area?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Re: was inches away from getting the svx on the road today

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post

if you look here http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ghlight=timing and find idler number two on the bottom, and look at the bolt hole directly under it, it is the only part that has drips comeing down. any ideas? also, oddly, the fluid was a prurple/red color.
The color sounds like tranny or powersteering fluid (they should be the same--Dexron II or equivelant). Based on the location you indicate, I would check my powersteering pump--mostly the resevoir O-ring. I can't think of anyway that tranny fluid could come from there, but you might check the transmission lines that go to the radiator just to make sure.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 AM

i checked that also, as the power steering hose does have a small leak, but its on a completely opposite side of where the leak is coming from. it looks like its seeping out from inside the timing cover.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

well the trans cooler lines are right there... Just double check those... There should not be ATF in the timing covers unless it is getting there from the pump/lines leaking into the cover from the other side

Tom
Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 AM

finally got a good look in the daylight, it was oil afterall. looks like its coming from the frnt crank seal. ill have to get in there soon. how hard is this to replace? any thoughts?

also, finally got the car on the ground off jackstands for the first time in 2 and a half years or so, to see if it would move under its own power. it didnt. then i realized for some reason, i bought the amount of fluid needed for a filter change, so im still low about 8 quarts, depending on how much fluid the cooler and trans lines would hold. any thoughts on those?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Raul,
Just add a quart at a time until it shows up on the dip stick. Once its on the stick, start it up, run it through the gears with it still either on stands or otherwise hold the break and hit the gas to the point it wants to move in each gear. Then leave it running and recheck the level. Add until it is at the full hot level. Hope this helps and it actually makes sense as I've been drinking a lil tonight.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM

lol, it does, thanks! sadly, i dont have money to buy ANYTHING right now, even a quart or two. but some guy is supposed to come buy some 5x120 rims tomorrow for his firebird, that will get me my license and finish my car! YEAH!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
lol, it does, thanks! sadly, i dont have money to buy ANYTHING right now, even a quart or two. but some guy is supposed to come buy some 5x120 rims tomorrow for his firebird, that will get me my license and finish my car! YEAH!
If you want, I can make a little stop out of the way to help you out next Wednesday. I'll be on the way to family/parts sell on the way to Reading but I don't mind going a bit out of the way to help you out. Just let me know, you have the cell #
Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 AM

i work 2-11pm, but i should be done by then, just waiting on getting it registered. is reading already? damn. sooooo close! if only i hadnt taken a vacation!