How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2002, 12:16 PM
clarkerussell

Security system issues.

Does anyone know how to verify the operation of the factory security system? I can not get my alarm to do anything. The button is there but it does not seem to do anything. Is there a specific fuse I should look for? I didn't see anything in either fuse location.

On a similar note, the power door locks are inoperable. I know that I need to replace the center switch since it's broken (physically). I have seen them work ONCE, but that was only when I messed with the center console switch. I'm not sure if the door lock and alarm issues are related, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.

Clarke
Old 08-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Security system issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
Does anyone know how to verify the operation of the factory security system? I can not get my alarm to do anything. The button is there but it does not seem to do anything. Is there a specific fuse I should look for? I didn't see anything in either fuse location.

On a similar note, the power door locks are inoperable. I know that I need to replace the center switch since it's broken (physically). I have seen them work ONCE, but that was only when I messed with the center console switch. I'm not sure if the door lock and alarm issues are related, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.

Clarke
If the security system is operable, the red light in the security switch on the dash should blink when the system is on. If it is inop, the light will either remain constant or will not illuminate at all.

You could try putting it into "programming" mode, to see if it works. With the security button in the OFF position (not blinking) put your key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition to the on position (dash lights light up, but don't start the car), then, turn the ignition switch off and immediately and rapidly begin to push the security switch repeatedly until the horn sounds a couple of beeps, the parking lights flash and you get a clicking sound from either the glove box (92-92) rear package shelf (94-97). If you get these sounds, it means your system is operable. You can now click your remotes to program them. Click twice on one remote and three times on the other (system must receive 5 signals, if programming two remotes. You can stop at two clicks if you only have one). Each press of the remote will be answered with a beep of the horn. If there is no response from the car (beep at each press of the remote), then, your remote battery is dead, or the remote is inop. Once programming, or failure to program has been achieved, then, turn the ignition to the on position (engine off) once again, and turn it off. This will take you out of programming mode (lights stop flashing and the clicking will stop).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-15-2002, 11:43 AM
clarkerussell

Nada...

Nothing lights up on the security button.... ever... it doesn't seem to work at all. Do the security systems ever die completely? Shouldn't this be fused or something? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 08-15-2002, 08:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Clarke,
I'd typed a nice long response to this at work today, right before our server crashed. Of course, I lost it.

Yes they die. Some die with the light staying lit, others die with no light at all .

There is a fuse. Here are the component parts of the '92. If yours is later than a 93, the module is on the rear parcel shelf, but, the fuse, etc is still the same.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 08-15-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
I still can't figure out why in the heck I cannot attach jpg files to my posts. It's beginning to irritate me.

I'll try resampling at 50%. Maybe the files are too big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alcom2.jpg (253.4 KB, 332 views)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-15-2002, 08:27 PM

Registered SVX
GREAT! That worked. The previous post is the component locations. This one will have a close up of the unit, behind the glove box and will show the location of the fuse and sensitivity setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almloc2.jpg (201.1 KB, 321 views)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well if the JPG doesn't load the obvious thing to ensure is that the file is 1MB (1048576 bytes) or less.

I've also noticed that if you preview your post before submitting it the attachment will not be uploaded.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:30 AM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
My alarm just stopped working today too. I did my alt. upgrade with the 4 guage wire. When I put the terminal back on, I and got all my presets back in my radio, I tried the alarm. It's wasn't working. OK, I said, I'll reprogram my remote. But the alarm won't enter programing mode. It just doesn't want to do anything at all. I took the terminals off and put them back on 3 times to test it, but it didn' give me anything then either. I just went out to find that box with the fuse which took me a little while to do, but the fuse still tested fine. I put it back in and put the dash back together. What could my next step possibly be? All I did was take the battery terminals off.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.

Last edited by BoominSVX; 08-16-2002 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:17 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BoominSVX
My alarm just stopped working today too. I did my alt. upgrade with the 4 guage wire. When I put the terminal back on, I and got all my presets back in my radio, I tried the alarm. It's wasn't working. OK, I said, I'll reprogram my remote. But the alarm won't enter programing mode. It just doesn't want to do anything at all. I took the terminals off and put them back on 3 times to test it, but it didn' give me anything then either. I just went out to find that box with the fuse which took me a little while to do, but the fuse still tested fine. I put it back in and put the dash back together. What could my next step possibly be? All I did was take the battery terminals off.
This is an interesting quandry. Does the light in the security switch illuminate and remain steady? In some cases, the system will magically wake up at a later date.

Mine had the steady light and I could never get it to work, so, I replaced it with a used unit. It hasn't failed since I put it in, even with a multitude of battery disconnects (some for long periods of time), and I've never had to reprogram it.

The "non-working" unit is still in a box in my garage. If one of the units goes out on one of the two SVXes, I'll, first try the "non-working" unit to see if it has magically healed itself. My theory is, that, perhaps "something" got "stuck" when the unit was powered and it would not work, and the fact that all capacitors and such have been able to discharge over a period of time, may correct the problem -- just a theory. If you want to do the R&D by disconnecting your unit for about a week and then, reconnecting it, you won't have to wait for me to test my theory, which, hopefully, will be a long time from now.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-18-2002, 10:39 PM
I hate stupid people!

Yes, this sounds familiar. The light does stay on as long as the security switch is on. Looks like I will have to find a used one. Which part did you replace to get it working again? The box behind te glove compartment?
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:39 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yes, this sounds familiar. The light does stay on as long as the security switch is on. Looks like I will have to find a used one. Which part did you replace to get it working again? The box behind te glove compartment?
Yes.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-20-2002, 10:45 AM
I hate stupid people!

You wouldn't happen to know where I could find one would you?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:50 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
You wouldn't happen to know where I could find one would you?
Sorry, Boomin', wish I could help. Actually the stock unit isn't that expensive (250.00 plus 25.00 shp) http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=3
Subaru Ambassador