Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 PM

svx dies after running for a few mins what to try?

hi im having a problem with my 94 svx as its shutting off after a few mins running when i have changed alternators,changed in 5 diff maf sensors,along with a few other parts over the last 2 days.it will die but start back up with no problems until it starts running real choppy and then quits.i have discussed this problem with svxess aka john who has taken alot of time to try to help me with this problem.any suggestions of what i should replace tommorow. ihave a complete parts car to take parts off. thanks josh
Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: svx dies after running for a few mins what to try?

Try the crank and cam sensors next.... heat makes the magnetic tips lose functionality... so if they are weak already.....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrturbosvx View Post
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my 94 svx as its shutting off after a few minutes running. I have changed alternators, changed in 5 different MAF sensors, along with a few other parts over the last 2 days.

It will die, but start back up with no problems, until it starts running real choppy and then quits. I have discussed this problem with svxcess (aka John) who has taken a lot of time to try to help me with this problem.

Any suggestions of what I should replace tommorow? I have a complete parts car to take parts from.

thanks, Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Try the crank and cam sensors next. Heat makes the magnetic tips lose functionality... so if they are weak already...
I was leaning towards checking the cam sensor also. At first I thought it could be a bad ignition switch, as I thought the car just died. Its almost like he was turning off the key. But Josh says it it seems to run erratically and choppy just before dying. I was also leaning towards a MAF as the culprit, but he said he changed out 5 of them, and surely they all can't be bad.

The FSM troubleshooting charts suggests the cam sensor if the car starts and then stalls (but doesn't say if the stall is immediate)

I thought a bad crank sensor would keep the car from starting at all.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 04-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I would agree that it sounds like the position sensors. Swap the three of them see how it is then.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM

ok so ill replace the cam sensor and crank sensor tommorow morning so i can rule out those or possibly fix my problem i hope.this svx has never given me a problem so it figures it happens right before reading meet.anything else i should try to change tommorow? i need to get my svx fixed asap so any suggestions would be nice.thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I would agree that it sounds like the position sensors. Swap the three of them see how it is then.

Harvey.
The correct procedure is to swap one at a time. Then you will know which one of three is faulty. Otherwise you will wind up with three sensors all, suspect and useless.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 PM

what are the 3 sensors?cam,crank and what other sensor?forgot to write no check engine light so i dont know exactly where to go if these sensors dont help.thanks guys
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
what are the 3 sensors?cam,crank and what other sensor?forgot to write no check engine light so i dont know exactly where to go if these sensors dont help.thanks guys
There are two crank sensors above the crank pulley and one cam sensor on the left side cam cover .

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM

ok thanks that what i thought so i guess out comes the alternator for like the 6th time in morning.grrrr. i hope its these sensors if not i have no idea what to throw at it next.its been such a bad couple of days for me and i have other svx projects to start and not working on my daily driver for 2 days which i have been doing.thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

I also vote for cam sensors and recommend replacing the one on the left side of the engine first. Of course you do not have to take the timing belt covers off to replace it.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1510.JPG (688.2 KB, 69 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
hi im having a problem with my 94 svx as its shutting off after a few mins running when i have changed alternators,changed in 5 diff maf sensors,along with a few other parts over the last 2 days.it will die but start back up with no problems until it starts running real choppy and then quits.i have discussed this problem with svxess aka john who has taken alot of time to try to help me with this problem.any suggestions of what i should replace tommorow. ihave a complete parts car to take parts off. thanks josh
Quote:
ok so ill replace the cam sensor and crank sensor tommorow morning so i can rule out those or possibly fix my problem i hope.this svx has never given me a problem so it figures it happens right before reading meet.anything else i should try to change tommorow? i need to get my svx fixed asap so any suggestions would be nice.thanks
Quote:
Quote:
ok thanks that what i thought so i guess out comes the alternator for like the 6th time in morning.grrrr. i hope its these sensors if not i have no idea what to throw at it next.its been such a bad couple of days for me and i have other svx projects to start and not working on my daily driver for 2 days which i have been doing.thanks
Wecome to the world of SVX ownership. We have YEARS of experience and we still get hit with "surprises".

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

I had this exact problem and it was related to my fuel pressure modulator. It's located under the rear parcel shelf in the trunk. I checked everything that was mentioned already to no avail.

The key thing I did to trace it down was to start it up, and just before it was about to die (it was very predictable for me...the car would get to operating temp, the idle would slowly get lower and lower, it'd stumble a few times, then die) I would spray starter fluid into the air intake via one of the vacuum tube holes (disconnect the tube, obviously). The engine would keep running, though not very well, but it kept running indicating that the issue was fuel related.

I then immediately realized that I had possibly left the fuel pressure modulator unplugged when I was testing it because of some earlier issues I'd been having. I went back into the trunk and checked...the fuel pressure regulator was unplugged. I plugged it back in, no more issues.

Here's a link to the ordeal...
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52196

And another link to the entire process leading to this point...
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49743

I hope this helps you out. It was a GIANT headache for me, and it'd be great if I could help you fly right through this.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 AM

Can someone post a Pic of fuel resistor and fuel modulator so I Can check them out please.thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 AM

update. my svx is now fixed! thanks to the fuel pump module being unplugged in the rear trunk parcel.when i was working in the trunk the other day on the stereo system i must have unpugged it.i will be going for a long drive up to the berlin turnpike in a few mins to pick up some more parts to install on this svx before the reading meet in a few weeks.everyone will see the suprise parts im going to be installing when my car gets to reading. i want to specially thank john svxcess for all the time he spent trying to help me with this problem i had.im running the same alt upgrade setup on this svx and its been working great.thanks guys for all your suggestions.see everyone at Reading!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Josh,

That's great news!

In the past whenever my car was working perfectly and then started acting abnormally, I would always think back to the last thing I did before the trouble started. I did not know you were in the trunk working with the stereo.

I would like to know in detail just how this fuel pump module/ fuel pressure modulator works. Could save many of us time in diagnosing problems.

This should be in the How-To documents somewhere.

See you at Reading!!

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .