How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Re: Citroen SM anyone?

Haha! 'Real Genius' with Val Kilmer and a bunch of other young forgettables. I just watched that again the other night- classic '80s movie!

There's a black mid-'80s Citroen CX that I see regularly at an office building about 2 blocks from where I work. Definitely unique!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 12-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Certified Porschephile

Has anyone figured out why the french designed (?) such ugly vehicles? I say that with trepidation, as Subaru seems to be trying of late to be french far east division. The first gen Tribeca and newest Legacy are far cries from the late 90's Impreza and SVX.

Yes I realize french are "quirky", but the Germans have made far better vehicles in terms of performance, not mention looks and durability. The Italians got the looks part, and performance, but durability is an issue.

Ever wonder who "really" won WWII? The Germans, Italians, and Japanese are sure doing better then the french, British, and US in the car business. Of course that was with billions of US money after the war was over. Interesting thing to ponder.

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 12-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Has anyone figured out why the french designed (?) such ugly vehicles?
Quite a statement coming from an SVX owner! I think the SM is just as beautiful of not more so than most cars... including our beloved SVX!

I can't imagine the word ugly describing this:

Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Quite a statement coming from an SVX owner! I think the SM is just as beautiful of not more so than most cars... including our beloved SVX!

I can't imagine the word ugly describing this:

RT doesn't get out of his valley all that often I wouldn't call it beautiful but like most Subarus through the mid 90s I can appriciate the engineering a car for function dictating form. In a world of cookie cutter cars it is always refreshing to see a unique approach... esp. one filled with such technical innovations!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Certified Porschephile

The SM isn't bad. I actually liked the XM (?) in the movie Ronin. I should have been more specific with gems like the orange one from European Vacation. Sorry. I can't find any french car that can compare with a Cayman S or the new Boxster Spyder though.

Your sig made me smile. TVR's are like kit cars compared to a Porsche.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Now down to only ONE!

The suspension and brakes are powered by a 2200 psi hydraulic system with hundreds of little rubber seals that become brittle with both time and non use. On most barn cars you will replace the leaking seals over here and the new found pressure will cause leaks over there, ad infinitum.

We had Citroens as our only daily drivers for over 10 years. One was a 1968 ID 19 B light weight that had a built motor balanced in a dragster shop in San Jose, DS leather interior, body restoration in the local Rolls shop, "all" new seals, etc, etc. It was my all time favorite car, but I often thought of finding a big glass box to put it in before something went wrong.

The two reddish cars behind the SM in the Monterey photo are an SM pickup truck conversion "tow car"and a saltflats SM by the team at the "SM World" shop in LA... the SM equivalent to YT and the AWD guys for the SVX.

SMs are even more difficult and expensive to live with than SVXi. If you want one, buy the best example you can find and be prepared to love it most of the time and only hate it occasionally.

They are fabulous motor cars.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Speaking of DS... that reminds me of a funny old 80s era movie...

"Is that your car, Kent? You know you aren't allowed to park that on campus..."
(as Kent's bright yellow DS is snoring on it's hydro-pneumatic suspension, with lights blinking, in kent's dorm room bed.)

"You must get even with Kent. It is a moral imperative!"

Great movie... anyone else remember that one?
I HATE popcorn!

Pure Genius is one of my faves
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.