Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Coolant leak from middle of car?

My latest in my ongoing coolant leak issues is now the car is starting to leak more consistently, every time I park it.

I'll find a small puddle of the green stuff, but way back under the passenger area, about in the center below the rear of the transmission. Haven't got a chance to squeeze under there and see it dripping in action, but I've checked every where from the top of the engine and can see nothing wet or leaking.

What would be leaving small coolant puddles way back there though?

And despite these small puddles about 5 times now, the coolant level in the radiator is not low enough to even top off yet - so it's a very small leak/spill over every time.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Coolant leak from middle of car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
My latest in my ongoing coolant leak issues is now the car is starting to leak more consistently, every time I park it.

I'll find a small puddle of the green stuff, but way back under the passenger area, about in the center below the rear of the transmission. Haven't got a chance to squeeze under there and see it dripping in action, but I've checked every where from the top of the engine and can see nothing wet or leaking.

What would be leaving small coolant puddles way back there though?

And despite these small puddles about 5 times now, the coolant level in the radiator is not low enough to even top off yet - so it's a very small leak/spill over every time.

Heater Core... Sorry to yell you

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

The only possible explanation is the heater core. You're in for a real "treat" with that repair.
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

That's what I was afraid of due to the posititioning. Heater core has been coming up as a possible cause to my woos since last spring - even took it to a trusted Subaru mechanic and they couldn't find obvious signs. And I've never had wet carpet.

But it does fit, I also used to smell coolant out the vents (though not as much lately). And now these leaks are showing up as we have single digit temps and I'm obviously using the heater more.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
That's what I was afraid of due to the posititioning. Heater core has been coming up as a possible cause to my woos since last spring - even took it to a trusted Subaru mechanic and they couldn't find obvious signs. And I've never had wet carpet.

But it does fit, I also used to smell coolant out the vents (though not as much lately). And now these leaks are showing up as we have single digit temps and I'm obviously using the heater more.
Sad news Troy,

The preceding advise is unfortunately 100% correct.

I experienced the same symptoms and could not find any trace of a flow path from the front, until the problem became a lot worse. By accident a secret little river bed exists along the floor pan.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Well knowing the good times I have ahead, how urgent is this repair?

Since it now appears I've had the problem 8+ months, and it comes up more when using the heater, I'm guessing I can take my time as long as I don't use the heater? Which is actually a crazy thought considering the weather we are having right now and the season ahead, but not looking forward to the job ahead either (and definitely can't afford someone else doing it).

Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Registered SVX

under the passenger side (if the heater is a mirror image of the jdm/aust spec ones) there will be a hose connecting to the bottom of the opaque plastic part of the heater core, mine had been pushed off the pipe by someones foot why there isnt a clamp on there i dont know, hopefully yours is the same
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Registered Loser

-You don't drive the car if you have a coolant leak full stop.
-You don't drive the car especially if you have a coolant leak inside the car.
-If you drive the car you will make the hole large and more coolant will poor out, if more coolant poors out, the coolant will where the rear passengers pu there feet. Where they put their feet is where the ABS computer lives.
-Coolant and ABS computers aren't a good combination, making for a more epxensive repair.
-Luckily I got to it in time before the ABS computer was damaged and so should you.

I drove my car for 2 months (while sourcing a new heater) with the only interior part fitted being the drivers seat and empty dashboard, you can do the same by bypassing heater and getting a some roughly 1" diamater, 3 inch long metal pipe and joining to the 2 (inlet and outlet) hoses to the pipe I just mentioned.

Jordan.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:06 AM

Registered SVX

Ii is not difficult to bypass the heater core, working from the engine side of the firewall. As long as you are able put up with no heater, this will not present a problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Ii is not difficult to bypass the heater core, working from the engine side of the firewall. As long as you are able put up with no heater, this will not present a problem.
Thanks Trevor, I figured there must be a way to do this and save tearing into the interior until I'm ready to do the full job.

Of course as mentioned, winter is just starting here and we are having record cold temperatures too - and my SVX is a daily driver. At least it sleeps in the garage at night.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Troy-

This job can easily be tackled in a weekend even if you take your time. Try and clear the time and do the job. Not having warm air in the winter could potentially pose safety hazards.

Best of luck!

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Point taken.

While I have it all apart I may finally do my interior changeover to manual seat belts also. Especially timely if the carpet has some hidden damage from the coolant.

I still have the grey 94+ carpet rolled up in my shed that you sold me like 5 years ago Mike.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

While everything is apart, is there anything besides the heater core itself that should be replaced?

I had some minor A/C issues in the summer and got a code 14 Evaporator Sensor Open http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=climate

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

When my heater core packed it in, there was no puddling on the ground but the floor of the car (inside) was wet. Is it not possible that the heater core is just fine and the leak is at the connection where those hose engages the core or in the hose itself? If that is where the leak is, is it possible to to fix the problem from the motor side of the firewall without having to remove the heater core itself?

Maybe you could see where the leak is if you put the car on a hoist and get under it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpianoman View Post
When my heater core packed it in, there was no puddling on the ground but the floor of the car (inside) was wet. Is it not possible that the heater core is just fine and the leak is at the connection where those hose engages the core or in the hose itself? If that is where the leak is, is it possible to to fix the problem from the motor side of the firewall without having to remove the heater core itself?

Maybe you could see where the leak is if you put the car on a hoist and get under it.
I compliment you on your optimism, but no sorry. The core incorporates a plastic tank which deteriorates over time, as does the radiator tank. The odds are against some other fault causing the leak, are overwhelming.