How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Another headlight restoration... With a twist.

So I went and gave my car the old scrub 'n shine again. I used some off brand headlight polish about a year ago and here's how they had gotten along:

So I picked up some "Turtle" headlight restorer and went to town. It had a polish like the other, and a lubricant with various grit sanding pads. So I polished the lense to the green but clear look, and went after the sanding. Here's the left side sanded and polished and right only polished:

Finished up and gave it once more over with the polish, for the umpteenth time:

Some bad paint detail, but I like this angel on the car:

And for the twist:

This guy [was] living inside my driver's side lense. We get spiders here (notice the trees reflected in the windsheild) and they get everywhere. This fella looks like he built himself a little home there, got driven around and then got cooked by the light. I haven't got a clue what it'd take to get to him, so I guess he'll just be a mascot until the lenses yellow over again.

And I know I shoulda' clear coated them.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX
Re: Another headlight restoration... With a twist.

Thank god for glass headlights.. and a garage )
Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM

WOW, Nice work!
How much time was spent on that job?

I like your little mascot too.
I'm sure he could be removed, but you would probably have to break the headlight pods (oven bake to release the glue and separate). I did this on my motorcycle to install a set of Halo CCFLs around the high beam projectors (as you can see in my avatar). It was not too difficult.

I have been thinking of what I can do to update the SVX's headlights and think that a strip of those new ultra bright LEDs along the bottom of each would look great (like the new Audi but just straight), along with LED fog lights and LED high beams and HID low beams, all at 6000K cool white (or hyper white) light emission.

But, not till I address other more pressing tasks, like stopping all the oil leaks in the engine
Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Ewie** View Post
Thank god for glass headlights.. and a garage )
Glass headlights on the SVX?
Where? how much?
No room in the garage for cars, motorcycles and tools only
Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I have been thinking of what I can do to update the SVX's headlights and think that a strip of those new ultra bright LEDs along the bottom of each would look great (like the new Audi but just straight), along with LED fog lights and LED high beams and HID low beams, all at 6000K cool white (or hyper white) light emission.
I was thinking to do a similar thing, but do you really think there's room for that? I was thinking a ccfl bar though, so a strip of leds might take care of the size constraints. would be great if it continued to wrap to the inside of the side blinkers too. I will probably try it one of these days, because all my headlights are getting water in them and I want to take them apart to reseal them (RTV ftw) and polish/clearcoat them all.

btw the halos on the bike look great. never come across that before.

oh, and info on the glass headlights can be found here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52064
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX

Quote:
Glass headlights on the SVX?
Where? how much?
No room in the garage for cars, motorcycles and tools only
Glass headlights were standard kit on the Aus/NZ versions as the plastic ones (at that time) did not comply with Australian Design rules. Mines been very fortunate to live in a garage all it's life until a few weeks ago (when I got it) so no fading from the sun.

She's living outdoors for now but will have a nice new car cover soon and all going well will be back in a shed after Xmas.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I was thinking to do a similar thing, but do you really think there's room for that? I was thinking a ccfl bar though, so a strip of leds might take care of the size constraints. would be great if it continued to wrap to the inside of the side blinkers too. I will probably try it one of these days, because all my headlights are getting water in them and I want to take them apart to reseal them (RTV ftw) and polish/clearcoat them all.

btw the halos on the bike look great. never come across that before.

oh, and info on the glass headlights can be found here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52064
Thanks for the link.
I think I will deal with the plastic headlights ones for now though. Mine are clear and I could not justify the cost.

LED strips can be had for cheep and will definitely fit.
I would do a little research prior to buying as all LED strips are not equal, get something quality or you will be doing all that work again.
Wrapping them into the side markers will mean double the work, but it sure would look cool.

How about a strip of LEDs inside the waterfall grill? That is what I have been pondering. I thought from the first time I saw the SVX that there should be a light (or lights) in there. I think that would be pretty easy. Maybe just a couple LEDs facing across the grill to make it glow.
Or if you are into parkinglot-shows, a strip of those million-color-change (with remote control) would be fun.

The Halos on my bike make the look of the bike I think.
It would look wrong without them.
I replaced every single light on the bike, along with the turn-signal controller (so the turn signals would also run full time as 1/4 bright running lights)
All light except the high beams are LEDs and the main beams are 55Watt HID's (equal light output to 150W halogens). I would not put the 55W HIDs into a car because they are just too bright and annoy other drivers, but on the bike, being seen is life or death. I have never been so well seen as I am now that I installed these lights.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

I think lights in the waterfall grill has been done before and would look kinda ricey. And my car's got a '97 grill courtesy of the previous owner. But I'm totally up to trying an led strip in the headlights/blinkers, and I have some bluish HIDs to complement them.

I hear what you're saying about being seen being life or death on bikes. In Tampa, there's a lot of people on bikes nowadays, and they seem to be getting lazier about making people know they're there. This is just as it's become legal to ride without a helmet too. The smartest thing to do is get as many lights as possible all over it and really bright, and the loudest exhaust you can find. Then if they manage to not see you, they will hear you. And still wear a helmet just in case. You've got the lights part down beautifully it seems.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

Best-lights-on-bike-EVER

You get the banana.

Back to the original posting... the lights are not sealed, you can simply spray water in the back to get the little spider out. obviously if you dont remove the light from the car, drying them out again would be a PITA.... but easily done if the lights are out.

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

To remove spider, simply go to the nearest auto shop and put the tip of the air hose in there and apply the compressed air..... the pressure will blow spidey out and you can give him a proper burial.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
I think I will deal with the plastic headlights ones for now though. Mine are clear and I could not justify the cost.

LED strips can be had for cheep and will definitely fit.
I would do a little research prior to buying as all LED strips are not equal, get something quality or you will be doing all that work again.
Wrapping them into the side markers will mean double the work, but it sure would look cool.

How about a strip of LEDs inside the waterfall grill? That is what I have been pondering. I thought from the first time I saw the SVX that there should be a light (or lights) in there. I think that would be pretty easy. Maybe just a couple LEDs facing across the grill to make it glow.
Or if you are into parkinglot-shows, a strip of those million-color-change (with remote control) would be fun.

The Halos on my bike make the look of the bike I think.
It would look wrong without them.
I replaced every single light on the bike, along with the turn-signal controller (so the turn signals would also run full time as 1/4 bright running lights)
All light except the high beams are LEDs and the main beams are 55Watt HID's (equal light output to 150W halogens). I would not put the 55W HIDs into a car because they are just too bright and annoy other drivers, but on the bike, being seen is life or death. I have never been so well seen as I am now that I installed these lights.

Have you seen this?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=svx+lights