How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Re: Leaking Transmission, Replacement?

Okay, well after finals and going home for the break I finally got some time to work on the svx and here's what I found:

the inside of the input torque converter shaft(?) scraped

this is the input torque converter shaft

metal bits in the torque converter

here's the bits by themselves

and it's kind of hard to see, but it seems that there is scraping on the transmission where the TC goes in

Now, from this I think that the rattling noise was coming from these metal particles bouncing around in the TC. I couldn't see where the particles came from. My guess is somewhere is the transmission.

I bought a new front seal for the transmission and tore the old one out. I didn't see anything wrong with the old one, but there might have been some small cracks. It was leaking massive amount of transmission fluid somehow...

The torque converter isn't cracked, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it now because i'm sure it has more metal particles in it. I thought you had to drill a hole, flush it, then weld the hole shut.

I'm not sure whether to just get another transmission (4.44 this time) and a new TC. I remember reading that the TC from that 2.5 engines have been used successfully or maybe I'll get a used SVX one. Anyhow, any comments and suggestions are always appreciated.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Hey Scotty,

It looks like you damaged your pump when you installed the torque converter/transmission. When you don't get the torque converter splined on all the way before installing the transmission the crank/flex plate push the pump driveshaft (that's the shaft you have in your pictures) into the pump rotor and crack it. Unfortunately that transmisison isn't even a decent core now.

SVXfiles can set you up with a nice 4.44 if that's what you want. I've used him as a source for 4.44 cores in the past and the transmissions he found for me were very nice.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Hey Scotty,

It looks like you damaged your pump when you installed the torque converter/transmission. When you don't get the torque converter splined on all the way before installing the transmission the crank/flex plate push the pump driveshaft (that's the shaft you have in your pictures) into the pump rotor and crack it. Unfortunately that transmisison isn't even a decent core now.

SVXfiles can set you up with a nice 4.44 if that's what you want. I've used him as a source for 4.44 cores in the past and the transmissions he found for me were very nice.
Hmmm... That's no good. I made sure that the torque converter was 3/8 inch from the face of the transmission like SVXfiles' writeup specified. After that, the the TC wouldn't go any further. I even checked again just before the engine and tranny were put together. It must have slid out a little during the installation. Bummer.

I would definitely get the 4.44 from SVXfiles, but he's all the way on the east coast and I'm definitely not shipping a transmission across the country...

Another question: How would I go about making sure my torque converter is alright to reuse and free of metal bits? Or would it be better to get another just to be safe? Thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Your troque converter is not alright to use. It can be used as a core for getting a rebuilt torque converter but that's it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shipping of a transmission. Limitting yourself to local options often limits you to not the best transmission you can get. I don't exactly live next door to svxfiles and I had no problems getting the transmissions. He can help you get one that has the right torque converter for you so you don't have to worry about it. If it was me and I wanted a used 4.44 I'd call him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Hmmm... That's no good. I made sure that the torque converter was 3/8 inch from the face of the transmission like SVXfiles' writeup specified. After that, the the TC wouldn't go any further. I even checked again just before the engine and tranny were put together. It must have slid out a little during the installation. Bummer.

I would definitely get the 4.44 from SVXfiles, but he's all the way on the east coast and I'm definitely not shipping a transmission across the country...

Another question: How would I go about making sure my torque converter is alright to reuse and free of metal bits? Or would it be better to get another just to be safe? Thanks in advance