Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

PS pump or something else (or more?)

On my way home last night I had a bunch of lights pop up on the dash. They were the battery, stop light, the brake light, and the ABS light. I'm a bit confused as to what this could be. No engine light and the braking seems completely fine. The PS is non existent right now which I noticed when I had to take my first turn after that long straight where the lights came on. I have since driven the car twice with the same results. Of course, my car is a 95 and I'm not witty enough to jump the pins being that noone has an OBDI scanner in the area.

HELP!!! Is is just the PS pump and did it really cause all these other lights to come on? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: PS pump or something else (or more?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya-r-ex View Post
On my way home last night I had a bunch of lights pop up on the dash. They were the battery, stop light, the brake light, and the ABS light. I'm a bit confused as to what this could be. No engine light and the braking seems completely fine. The PS is non existent right now which I noticed when I had to take my first turn after that long straight where the lights came on. I have since driven the car twice with the same results. Of course, my car is a 95 and I'm not witty enough to jump the pins being that noone has an OBDI scanner in the area.

HELP!!! Is is just the PS pump and did it really cause all these other lights to come on? Thanks in advance guys.
Sounds like your crankshaft pulley has come apart. Start the engine and observe the operation of the belts, see if they are driven by the pulley, and if the inner and outer part of the crank pulley have seperated.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
PS pump somethingelse (has more!)

somethingelse and more.

do you see 2 belts when you pop the hood?
any noises come with these problems?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Sounds like your crankshaft pulley has come apart. Start the engine and observe the operation of the belts, see if they are driven by the pulley, and if the inner and outer part of the crank pulley have seperated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
somethingelse and more.

do you see 2 belts when you pop the hood?
any noises come with these problems?
Yea, by the time that you guys had replied I had already figured it out. I hadn't given myself the time to yet dig into what it was and posted probably before I should have. Anyways, it was the belt. It had completely shredded and was sitting in the bottom of the tray. All is well. I ended up finishing up my brake job and replaced the passenger caliper which had a sticking piston. I also patched the crack on the top of the radiator that I had and I'm praying that it holds otherwise that will be my next project.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The rad patch won't hold, so start planning. I tried on mine 3 times. I bought one last year for $130.00 on Ebay, works great so far.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Registered SVX
Lightbulb Re: PS pump or something else (or more?)

If your crack on the radiator is not too large, you can use Alumaseal, i tried it on both my Kawasaki KLR bike and my 1972 Chevrolet Chevy (Nova in USA) and the thing worked amazingly well, i could´nt believe this product actually worked, because another product that i tried in my Accord, (some kind of powder like tiny metal bits) actually clogged the system and caused a big overheating, but i gave this product a try because it was my only hope, a new rad for my bike was far too expensive!
It worked after a few hours of running the engine (it took longer to seal the Chevy radiator because the leak was HUGE!. Two days in this case) And is safe for aluminum radiators as the one in the Kawa is made of it. There are two kinds of products they make, but i used the liquid one in both cases, being this a permanent repair, as i am using the Chevy as my daily driver and no more leaks in 6 months.

PS: OMG! I fogot to add the Chevy in my signature
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe

Last edited by MadMaxSvx; 09-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
If your crack on the radiator is not too large, you can use Alumaseal, i tried it on both my Kawasaki KLR bike and my 1972 Chevrolet Chevy (Nova in USA) and the thing worked amazingly well, i could´nt believe this product actually worked, because another product that i tried in my Accord, (some kind of powder like tiny metal bits) actually clogged the system and caused a big overheating, but i gave this product a try because it was my only hope, a new rad for my bike was far too expensive!
It worked after a few hours of running the engine (it took longer to seal the Chevy radiator because the leak was HUGE!. Two days in this case) And is safe for aluminum radiators as the one in the Kawa is made of it. There are two kinds of products they make, but i used the liquid one in both cases, being this a permanent repair, as i am using the Chevy as my daily driver and no more leaks in 6 months.
Nooooooo I would humbly recommend against radiator stop-leak. That crap will stay in your system permanently unless you feel like taking apart your cooling system and flushing it out for an hour or more.

From my experience, when I used it in desperation in my SVX, it took ten minutes before it seized my waterpump, severely overheated my engine, and shredded my timing belt. The heat from the timing belt also cooked some of the timing pulleys, resulting in the dust seals popping off (one of which caught in the new belt later on, making me skip timing and having to redo the belt for the third time).

So from my own experience, cooling system sealant has worked before on my toyota trucks, BUT I wouldnt use it in the SVX, it does not like it. The best fix is replace the radiator with a used or new one to save yourself a lot of trouble.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Registered SVX

Did you used the powder or liquid one? I used the powder (not from Alumaseal) in my Honda Accord and it clogged my water pump, causing overheating, i had to flush the entire system and i had to take out the water pump for cleaning a bad thing at all.
But the liquid one worked very very well, in fact i used an entire can in a BIKE, and it didnt cause any trouble,it sealed the 4 or 5 leaks the radiators had (Kawa uses 2 rads) and then once sealed, i drained ALMOST all the coolant/alumaseal mix and added just coolant, and all leaking problems solved.
With the Chevy was a different deal as i just added the product and forgot about it.. it´ s still in there and the temperature is correct everytime,even in an environment of 35 degrees celsius here (last summer).
My brother also used it in his Suzuki Maruti and problem solved.
Once more, the powder caused me troubles but i think that the liquid one deserves a try i your budget is tight.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I used the liquid, it sealed the leak after about 5 minutes but the first drive is when it all happened. Every problem is different, my waterpump most likely was leaking slightly past the bearing seals, allowing the crap to get into the bearing. It also took over an hour, with the waterpump and thermostat removed from the car, to get the water to run clear from the engine and heater core.

I felt pretty dumb after mokkbarring my car like that, since I pride myself on knowing what im doing around engines. It was one of those learn the hard way experiences.... I had used it before and it had worked ok, but now I see it as Russian Roulette, personally ill just fix it the right way from now on.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Bite the bullet and replace the radiator. Ebay is probably as good as anything and better price.

Keith
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

dont forget to replace your belt tensioner pulley...that probably seized and caused belt 2 fail...unless the belt was just old and cracked to hell

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM

The crack wasn't in the core of the radiator. It was right at the top where it is plastic. I sealed it up with some epoxy. I think it should be fine. Only time will tell.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

In most cases, it wont hold. The expansion and contraction of the plastic as well as the outward pressure of a hot cooling system can quickly comprimise the epoxy bond. I'd still save up for a radiator asap, just my 2c.