Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX
Question Keyless entry?

When i bought my SVX, a few months ago, it came with no original keys and no lock cylinders in doors (just a key to start the engine, but no original, in fact it reads "NISSAN" ), just the holes where they were placed, i think the previous owner lost the keyless IR emitter but i dont know why they took the cylinders out,maybe as an extra security system to avoid door aperture by forcing the cylinders... anyways i just use the aftermarket alarm control to open the doors.
The point is, my car have the keyless entry feature, but NO security button in dash,that means, no factory alarm. I dont have the IR emitter, but i will try to buy it from the dealer, in this case, how can i re-program the emitters if i find them? I looked in the how to section but the reprogramming procedure is intended for the keyless remotes in a car with factory security system, mine is just a device to get the doors unlocked. I remember you had to point them to a hole in the door handle to open the door.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe

Last edited by MadMaxSvx; 08-22-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Registered SVX
Unhappy Re: Keyless entry?

Nobody?
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Keyless entry?

Any idea what country your car started in? If it was the US and there is no security button, then the remote unlock, if there is one is aftermarket.

SVX's designed for some other countries did have the IR remote, but I'm not familiar with that system.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 AM

Registered SVX

Tha car was imported directly from Japan to Paraguay by the subaru dealer. I think the version is european, it has double airbag, crystal headlights w/power washer, etc.
I worked in the dealer back in 1992 and the control if i remember well was the key itself.
Anyways, the dealer dont have them anymore, i will have to import the controls from USA, and i hope they work with my car.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM

Yeah, for the IR, the control was in the key itself. I doubt that anyone in the US can help you, as we never had that option.

I think you'll be better off starting a new post in the "Down Under" section. The australians also had the IR security system, and if I recall, there was even a post with the schematics for "their" version of the keyless entry.

I know it's a long shot, but do you know of a subaru fanatic in Uraguy that has a few XT's and other rare old cars?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM

Registered SVX

Thans for the advice, i will post in the "down under" section. I dont know anyone here from Uruguay, do you know the username?
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Did you find the answer to your question ref programming key emmitter - as I have the same problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Registered SVX

Nopes... nobody seems to be familiar with this system since it were not used in the USA, or Australia, i think this key/emitter lock/unlock system was used only in Japan and a few other countryes. I dont even know where to find a replacement key/emitter since my local dealer dont have them anymore...i looked ANYWHERE in the internet but nothing, not even a comment, i feel like in the "Twilight Zone" searching for it.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Did you post in the Australian forums? There are a few JDM models down there, and I know I've seen a discussion amongst them about the IR system.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
Tha car was imported directly from Japan to Paraguay by the subaru dealer. I think the version is european, it has double airbag, crystal headlights w/power washer, etc.
I worked in the dealer back in 1992 and the control if i remember well was the key itself.
Anyways, the dealer dont have them anymore, i will have to import the controls from USA, and i hope they work with my car.
Max
[and M30]

Could you supply a little more detail? Max in your case you mention that your car was imported from Japan. Then you say it is European spec. In a way this doesn't add up, unless the car was ordered from Japan when SVXes were new, and they pulled the car off the assembly line and shipped to Paraguay as a special order.

Is your steering wheel on the left of the car, or on the right?

You mention you have what you call crystal headlights. By crystal do you mean the lenses are made from glass, rather than the plastic that Japanese and US cars get?

Does your car have power washers for the headlamps?

Can you adjust the headlamp aim from a switch on the gear lever console?

On the insides of your headlamps nearest the centre grille is there a blank silver plate inside the lamp instead of a fog lamp bulb?

I'm assuming that your steering is on the left, and you drive the right side of the road. Assuming the answers to the rest of the questions are all Yes, then you do in fact have a European mainland spec car, very interesting. Please confirm if all answers are Yes.

I have two UK spec cars, well 3 actually, and two of them have the infra red key. However neither of these keys work. The '95 car has had an aftermarket immobiliser and alarm fitted and the transmitter for this alarm opens the doors.

The '93 car that I have also has the original infra red key, but again an alarm has been fitted, and I'm not certain if this alarm also controls or over-rides the OEM central locking [the key has not had a good battery since I got the car, and I just use the key in the door to lock it.]

My advice is be careful buying a key from the US. US cars came with a security system on board, and the keys were matched to this system. European cars did not have this security system, but they would have had the IR central locking. The point is, the keys would have been a different type, at least I think they would.

I believe you would need to order a new IR key from Japan by giving them your VIN, also known as the chassis number. From this number they will have the codes for the key on file, and they will reprogram a new key for you.

It is expensive to buy a new key. I recently got a factory key from Japan for my Mitsubishi RVR. It cost me €140, I think that's about $200, maybe more.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Did you post in the Australian forums? There are a few JDM models down there, and I know I've seen a discussion amongst them about the IR system.
No JDM cars in Australia. The Australian model has the IR key that you point at the lock press the button to unlock. They also have the programed door handle that you can tap out a 4 digit code to unlock. or you can also use the key in the lock.
I would not hold much hope of getting a IR key for your car.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Max
[and M30]

Could you supply a little more detail? Max in your case you mention that your car was imported from Japan. Then you say it is European spec. In a way this doesn't add up, unless the car was ordered from Japan when SVXes were new, and they pulled the car off the assembly line and shipped to Paraguay as a special order.

Yes, the local Subaru dealer (Tokyo Motors) ordered this car from Japan when they were new, they imported 5 of them (as far as i know) betwen 1993 and 1996, (in fact a red one was featured in the Subaru stand of the 1995 EXPO, an exposition of technology and agricultural advances here in Paraguay, the SVX was one of the best cars here at the moment) and i think they ordered them with an special combination of extras resembling the european spec ones.

Is your steering wheel on the left of the car, or on the right?

The stering wheel is on the left side

You mention you have what you call crystal headlights. By crystal do you mean the lenses are made from glass, rather than the plastic that Japanese and US cars get?

Yes, the headlights are made of glass

Does your car have power washers for the headlamps?

Yes, the headlights have power washers on them

Can you adjust the headlamp aim from a switch on the gear lever console?

Nope, i can not adjust the headlights aiming from the dash, they can be aimed only with an 8 mm socket in the lamp itself

On the insides of your headlamps nearest the centre grille is there a blank silver plate inside the lamp instead of a fog lamp bulb?

Yes, there is a blank silver plate instead of fog lights ,sad because i think the fog light is usefull

I'm assuming that your steering is on the left, and you drive the right side of the road.

Yep

Assuming the answers to the rest of the questions are all Yes, then you do in fact have a European mainland spec car, very interesting. Please confirm if all answers are Yes.

The only question with negative answer is about the headlamp adjusting from inside, all the rest is european spec

I have two UK spec cars, well 3 actually, and two of them have the infra red key. However neither of these keys work. The '95 car has had an aftermarket immobiliser and alarm fitted and the transmitter for this alarm opens the doors.

I had an aftermaket alarm system, but i ripped it out of my car as i want it to have all the original systems working again (including the infrarred key)
The '93 car that I have also has the original infra red key, but again an alarm has been fitted, and I'm not certain if this alarm also controls or over-rides the OEM central locking [the key has not had a good battery since I got the car, and I just use the key in the door to lock it.]

My advice is be careful buying a key from the US. US cars came with a security system on board, and the keys were matched to this system. European cars did not have this security system, but they would have had the IR central locking. The point is, the keys would have been a different type, at least I think they would.

I believe you would need to order a new IR key from Japan by giving them your VIN, also known as the chassis number. From this number they will have the codes for the key on file, and they will reprogram a new key for you.

Thats cool!! The problem is WHERE to order a new one, can you give me some advice?

It is expensive to buy a new key. I recently got a factory key from Japan for my Mitsubishi RVR. It cost me €140, I think that's about $200, maybe more.

200!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
No JDM cars in Australia. The Australian model has the IR key that you point at the lock press the button to unlock. They also have the programed door handle that you can tap out a 4 digit code to unlock. or you can also use the key in the lock.
I would not hold much hope of getting a IR key for your car.

Well, i have the door handle "keyless entry system also, i programmed it with the code 2322 and it opens my car nicely!!

Harvey.
I hope this info helps
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

A couple of other questions.
Does it have:
1. A VTD AWD?
2. A switch to turn on the Economy Mode?
3. Any other switches on the gearshift panel, Aerial, Power?
4. What is the Vin No.?

Thanks Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
I hope this info helps
Yes it does. It's really really strange you don't have the headlight aiming switch. I've never seen glass headlights without it.

I'm interested in the questions Harvey asked as well, I'm looking forward to your replies on those.

I've also another question. Harvey mentions what the Japanese call "keyless entry" which uses the door handle lifted in a numerical sequence to open the door without a key. English cars don't have this, Japanese and apparently Australian SVXes do.

If by any chance your car has this, then it is easy to check. When you lift the driver door handle does it make a "beep" sound inside the car? If you can hear a beep, then it has the "keyless entry" computer on board, and you will be able to reprogram the system to let you unlock it without a key.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thats cool!! The problem is WHERE to order a new one, can you give me some advice?
You mentioned you used to work at the dealers. The only place you will get these is through the main Subaru distributors. If you have contacts at the dealership that imported the cars, that's the place to go.

If it is possible to get the keys at all, here's how it will work; your dealer will put in a back order request to Japan using your VIN code that will identify the car for them. It took about 5 weeks to get my Mitsubishi key from Japan.

If Japan can't supply a key then I can't tell you where to go next. I have never heard of any key service offering to decode an OEM infra red system, then code up a key to suit that.

Not saying somebody smart somewhere can't do it, just that I never heard of this being offered.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl