Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
06-07 WRX/Imprezza 5spd?

Hello guys,

In the course of ALOT of research, I'm finding some interesting info pertaining to WRX's. Mainly that not ANY WRX tranny can be bolted up to our rear end.

Specifically, the late 04's-05's have a different type of front output from the front diff - a female output, requiring the male version of the CV axle to be at the side of the front diff. But it's my understand that this can be overcome mearly by using WRX front axles.

A little more interesting is the 06-07 WRX/Imprezza transmissions... they use a different final drive ratio, so you have to swap the rear end over just like the older imprezza/Legacy/outback's. On top of that, they have the funky type of CV axle that the late 04's - 05's have.

I've got a question... anyone put any of these transmissions in thier SVX? Did you use the WRX axles to a successful result?

And the big question - can an 06-07 tranny be used in the SVX by using the front and rear axles, and bolting the rear end up? I think it's silly to put all this money into a transmission with low miles, just to have it go through my 130k miles SVX rear end which is likely to fail.

-Craig

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 06-07 WRX/Imprezza 5spd?

The newer transmissions only require you replace the axle seals with ones from the SVX auto. Then slide the axle stubs from the auto into the 5mt and tap them in with a soft faced mallot. Bam, wrx trans ready for the SVX

The rear is the same swap we have always done. Use the case and gears from the donor car and just use the SVX carrier and side plates. If you want to be a bugger, change the carrier bearings.

No axles work from a newer imprezza except the STi rear axles, and they only work with an R180

Tom
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Thanks for the info Tom.

I am really trying to find a way to replace the rear end, to kind of "update" everything I can. But if not, I'll probably just stick with the SVX rear the way it is - I definitely don't want to go into that case and mess something up.

Also, will your cross-member fit an 06-07 tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The newer transmissions only require you replace the axle seals with ones from the SVX auto. Then slide the axle stubs from the auto into the 5mt and tap them in with a soft faced mallot. Bam, wrx trans ready for the SVX

The rear is the same swap we have always done. Use the case and gears from the donor car and just use the SVX carrier and side plates. If you want to be a bugger, change the carrier bearings.

No axles work from a newer imprezza except the STi rear axles, and they only work with an R180

Tom

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

Last edited by ridered777; 07-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 PM

if u want new axel stubs + c-clips for the tranny when u install it, I have the part numbers for them!

Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110
Circlip Part Number: 805329010

u need two of each! enjoy!

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Thanks for the info Tom.

I am really trying to find a way to replace the rear end, to kind of "update" everything I can. But if not, I'll probably just stick with the SVX rear the way it is - I definitely don't want to go into that case and mess something up.

Also, will your cross-member fit an 06-07 tranny?
Yes my X-members fit all 5 & 6mt's. You are using new gears and new bearing but still using the LSD SVX carrier

Tom
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I opted for an 05 transmission, I hear bad things abouts the 06's ratio... Didn't they only keep the 3.70 for a bit and switch back?

Also, you can get axles at Autozone or its equivelent for 60 bucks with a life time warrenty, do this instead of givin Subaru 300 dollars for them.

Last edited by STeeL25T; 07-22-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Yes my X-members fit all 5 & 6mt's. You are using new gears and new bearing but still using the LSD SVX carrier

Tom
Ok, I figured as much on the X-member. I sent you an email yesterday at your allwelldrive address, did you get it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_paynter View Post
if u want new axel stubs + c-clips for the tranny when u install it, I have the part numbers for them!

Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110
Circlip Part Number: 805329010

u need two of each! enjoy!
Excellent information! This makes a late 04-05 tranny possible without too much trouble, depending on how hard it is to do the labor. Something defineatly worth looking into. I'll probably shy away from the 06-07's though as stated earlier, I do NOT want to open the rear end of the SVX up. Either I need something else that bolts up, or that one stays there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I opted for an 05 transmission, I hear bad things abouts the 06's ratio... Didn't they only keep the 3.70 for a bit and switch back?

Also, you can get axles at Autozone or its equivelent for 60 bucks with a life time warrenty, do this instead of givin Subaru 300 dollars for them.
Interesting. Yes, they changed the ratio in 06 to one that doesn't bolt up to our rear end, so you have to crack open the rear diff.

I have good SVX axles, I don't see where you're goin with that. And I'd get axles from Robbins if you have one near by, much better buisness and personnel than AutoZone.

Also, anyone know any info about the compatablity of the "components" with the 07 impreza to an 02-03 tranny? I have a post on NASIOC here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1809191

But no one is responding. Silly me for asking a non-boost related question on NASTICOC and thinking I'd get an answer... :rollseyes:

Summary of the post is that I found a donor 07 with most of the parts I need for really cheap, and it only has 8k miles on it! But, I can't use the 07 tranny obviously. So does anyone know if components like the pedals, clutch master, brake master, brake booster, shift linkage, etc. will work with an 02-03? I would GUESS not since they have a different clutch type (The switched from pull type to push type in 06 I think), I figured it was worth looking into.

Last edited by ridered777; 07-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Maniac modifier

You can use the 07 tranny. I have done 2 swaps with them already. Just get the rear to match

Tom
Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Whatever tranny you end up using you also need to be sure to get a matching year clutch/FW setup and slave cylinder as some WRX trannies use pull type pressure plates while others are a push type. All sti gearboxes are pull type.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Maniac modifier

06+ use a push type. BUT the pressure plates are different from the non-turbo push type clutches from older cars. SO be sure you match your clutch with the trans

Tom
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info guys,

I was planning on getting a new clutch actually, meant specifically for the 02-03 tranny (probably stage 1 or 2).

Ok, I figured the slave cylinder would, unfortunatly, not fit because of the clutch actuation type.

Any idea on the other components? He also has stuff like the pedal box (Which I'm hoping to modify to fit), shifter boot, brake booster, brake master, etc.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Thanks for the info guys,

I was planning on getting a new clutch actually, meant specifically for the 02-03 tranny (probably stage 1 or 2).

Ok, I figured the slave cylinder would, unfortunatly, not fit because of the clutch actuation type.

Any idea on the other components? He also has stuff like the pedal box (Which I'm hoping to modify to fit), shifter boot, brake booster, brake master, etc.

02/03 WRX is a pull type clutch for reference. what else would you like to know specifically?