Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Registered SVX
Cover between engine and transmission

My 5 speed is now bolted to the engine, and I have no cover plate to cover that gaping hole at the bottom. I could not find any pictures showing a cover on the svx at subaruparts.com, and I don't know if the one that fits the car my transmission is out of (2006 impreza 2.5i) will fit if I order it. Does the svx even have such a plate? I see holes so I assume there was one at some time. What is everybody else using on their 5mt swaps?

On a related issue, there were also no dowels in the block on the transmission mounting surface. If there are supposed to be alignment dowels am I at risk shearing the 4 transmission bolts without them?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Cover between engine and transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
My 5 speed is now bolted to the engine, and I have no cover plate to cover that gaping hole at the bottom. I could not find any pictures showing a cover on the svx at subaruparts.com, and I don't know if the one that fits the car my transmission is out of (2006 impreza 2.5i) will fit if I order it. Does the svx even have such a plate? I see holes so I assume there was one at some time. What is everybody else using on their 5mt swaps?

On a related issue, there were also no dowels in the block on the transmission mounting surface. If there are supposed to be alignment dowels am I at risk shearing the 4 transmission bolts without them?
Without the bolts in the autos, it will cause the flexplate to crack. Not sure about the effects it might have on the flywheel of a manual, Shouldn't shear the regular transmission bolts off though.
There is a plastic cover that goes on the bottom between the the engine and trans but not sure if the same one will bolt to the manual. Only thing it prevents is water getting into the flywheel which would eventually cause it to surface rust but not affect the structural integrity of the flywheel.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX

If it was still an auto, I wouldn't even worry about the cover, a little water and dirt on the torque converter doesn't scare me. It's water and dirt in the clutch that I'm not exited about. In my mind it just seems like a bad thing. I'll probably just try the one for the 06 and hope it bolts to the block. If not it's only $13 and I can't seem to find the p/n for the svx cover.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

If it's any consolation, my WRX doesn't have any cover at the bottom of the clutch. Something's gotta let all that clutch dust and smoke out!