Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Transmssion Thermostats for coolers

I have been talking to the Mocal distributor about getting a speciality trans thermostat produced for the svx. They currently offer two off the shelf, a low temp - 125 F crack - full flow 140F and a regular that cracks at 160F - full flow 168-170F.

What we have been discussing is the ability to produce a speciality unit for us that would crack at the 150F range and be full open at 160-165F. That should allow us to negotiate the problems with the TC locking and eliminate having to manually actuate or sutff cardboard in front of our existing coolers.

I am curious to see if the stock mid range unit would work. I am under the impression that if the thermostat is seeing 160, then the trans itself is probably 15F higher? I am curious if it might work, or if we could just run it close to the outlet. I was trying to make the plumbing application as simple as possible for these units.

This would be a 1/2" push on type, 4 ports available, 2 that would run continuous through the system and the two that are thermostatically controlled to open for bypass.

Would anyone be interested in a group by for these?

I have been looking for a thermostat for a while to mitigate the severe weather in Montana that can swing from -20F to 60F in the span of 24 hours.

Last edited by liamrh; 01-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: Transmssion Thermostats for coolers

Reno gets similar, though not quite as dramatic, temp swings in the spring. I'd be interested in an oilstat if the price were under $100 or so.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Yeah, the guy said between $60-70 or lower if it was a group buy with the money before the order and if they didn't have to handle the distribution.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I bought one of the ones from permacool I think it was, 180F thermostat.

Seems to work well. I am very over tranny coolered (factory one bypassed, one in the front of the AC, one in the fenderwell) and 4.444 for less heat too, so even here in TexMex it takes awhile to get up to that temperature and never goes above 180.

The only time it will go higher is at the track, or at the Dragon, but there isn't much more you can do for that Once you calm down, the temp does pretty quickly too.

This is the one:
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM

I think that is still too high for those of us that, lol, don't want to run three coolers and live next to Mexico. I have looked at that same unit also.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
I bought one of the ones from permacool I think it was, 180F thermostat.

Seems to work well. I am very over tranny coolered (factory one bypassed, one in the front of the AC, one in the fenderwell) and 4.444 for less heat too, so even here in TexMex it takes awhile to get up to that temperature and never goes above 180.

The only time it will go higher is at the track, or at the Dragon, but there isn't much more you can do for that Once you calm down, the temp does pretty quickly too.

This is the one:
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html
I bet with all that cooling, your oilstat never needs to open! If you're able to cool 10% of the oil (that's how much goes through the coolers when the PermaCool is closed) down to ambient, it's probably enough to get you right in the 150F sweet spot.

Those of us with just one cooler and the radiator still in line will run right up to 180F and sit there.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM

What I am curious about is what temperature I should be shooting for with the differences in temp the stat will see vs. the tranny.

Birth control wally can confirm that, and I thought, it was roughly 20 degree's higher in the trans than out in the coolant flow.

160 degree stat? 170?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

As long as it's enough to allow TC lock-up, which requires what...150 degrees or so? I'm planning on de-automating my car this summer so I'm not going to join the buy, but up here when it's cold I will have my torque converter continuously lock and unlock on the highway. Trans warms up, locks converter, cools down, unlocks, warms up...The PWR rad doesn't help either.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl