How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 AM

front wheels losing traction

I've noticed something with my SVX, that I'm not sure if it is normal or if there is something wrong. When I get on it from a stop or a roll, the front wheels break traction and the car torque steers like crazy. The car is AWD, so if the front wheels break loose, shouldn't it then transfer the power to the rear wheels instead of just spinning the fronts? If this is something wrong with my AWD system, what is the most likely cause, and if this is something that is designed into it, is there any way to get rid of it? I really hate torque steer! Thanks.

Mike
91 Marcury Cougar, 393" stroker, completely insane!
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
80 Pontiac Firebird formula, 350TPI swapped in, car needs to be finished.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: front wheels losing traction

An SVX with working AWD should not be able to spin the tires unless you're in snow/mud, or you have a few extra ponies under the hood. Is your Power light flashing on start up? 16 flashes means there is a transmission trouble code stored.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Solenoid C ftl!

I still have some melted tire rubber on my front passenger side rim from when I took my car to the dragstrip before I realized that my Solenoid C was bad (confirmed during a dyno run when the rear wheels didn't move ).

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM

The power light only comes on when I floor it, and never flashes. I know my dad had the trans rebuilt about 2 years ago.

What is "solenoid C"? I assume its one of the solenoids in the trans? If that solenoid is bad, the rear wheels wouldn't move if I put the car on the lift? If that's the case, I'll throw it on the lift tonight and see if they spin. If that's what it is, is it accesible by just dropping the pan, or what? Thanks.

Mike
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

It's the solonoid in the trans that control power to the rear wheels. It's a fairly common problem actually, right up there with cracked rad tanks and sticking power seatbelts.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderhead View Post
The power light only comes on when I floor it, and never flashes. I know my dad had the trans rebuilt about 2 years ago.

What is "solenoid C"? I assume its one of the solenoids in the trans? If that solenoid is bad, the rear wheels wouldn't move if I put the car on the lift? If that's the case, I'll throw it on the lift tonight and see if they spin. If that's what it is, is it accesible by just dropping the pan, or what? Thanks.

Mike
Edit:: Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

The wheelspin is not healthy though and could also cause your front diff to fail.

Mike,

We are less than an hour away and I pass that area twice a week if you like I can take a quick look at it. Sounds like your transfer clutch could be sheared or solenoid c is toast.

Last edited by Mike621; 12-08-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 AM

Be careful with this one. I too had this problem, it seemed that almost all the power shifted to the rear, I could burn rubber with my SVX!! This was not good, even told my Subaru mechanic about it and he drove it and said it was ok. A month later my front diff self distructed, giant hunks of metal came out the draian....this car is now in the middle of a 5-speed conversion. I got no flashing power light as a warning just all of a sudden bang and a blowen front diff which destroyed the tranny at the same time.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM

I'll throw the car up on the lift tonight and see if the rear wheels are turning. I did the rear wheel bearings in the car a couple months ago, and I know the rear wheels turned on the lift then. Am I correct in my interpretation of what you are saying that if this solenoid is no good, then only the front wheels will spin on the lift?

Mike621, I'll PM you my phone number. If you want to come take a look at it, I will welcome the help. In the evenings and on weekends I have full access to the shop for whatever I need, so we don't have to work in the cold. Like I have said, I do know my way around a car, but I'm new to the import and AWD things, so I definitely have a lot to learn about this car.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The rears may spin on the lift, simply from a bit of residual friction in the transfer (just like a manual trans car will tend to spin the wheels even though the clutch is depressed), but it should take almost no effort to stop them spinning.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Got it. I'll check it tonight. How difficult is that solenoid to access? Is there harm in driving the car until I get it fixed? If there is, I'll switch back to my lincoln until I can get the part and find the time to fix it.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Oh a local SVXer. Is your SVX green? I might have seen it passing through Colts Neck a few times.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Yes it is green, unfortunately. The car could use new paint and has some parking dings I want to fix, so assuming I can find the time, I'll repaint it when summer rolls around. I haven't decided what color yet, but it definitely won't be staying green. I live right on Sycamore ave, so I do sometimes go tear up 537 in colts neck. I've only had the car for 2 weeks though. Unless maybe you saw it a couple months ago when I had it for a while to do some work on it for my dad.

Anyway, I just put the car on the lift, and the rear wheels aren't turning at all. I looked it up in alldata, and it looks like this solenoid is inside the tailshaft housing, is that the right one? I guess I'll call subaru tomorrow and order one. Alldata didn't have any labor times in the system for changing this solenoid, only for the shift solenoids. How bad is it to change? Also, if someone could let me know for certain whether it is OK to keep driving the car or if I should park it until I find the time to fix it. Tomorrow I'll be taking the lincoln to work just in case.

Thanks for the help by the way everyone. I'm sure this forum will help save me tons of frustration with this car. You all seem to be very knowledgable and willing to help, which is more than can be said for a lot of people on most of the other car forums I'm on.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I drove for a year with a burnt out clutch pack and it was fine. The only thing is you have to be careful not to gas it too hard. Breaking the front tires loose too often will put a lot of strain on the front differential.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Get the car over to AWD! My guess is the YT can swap the Solenoid C out in around an hour (if he's feeling lazy ). Seriously, the time it takes to do the job depends a lot on how easy the exhaust system is to take off, the drive shaft to remove, and whether or not you can get the tailshaft off of the trans without the parking pawl popping out and falling on the floor
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Hi.

My front diff went a full 3 years of wheelspin abuse before breaking. I believe the reason it finally broke is because I had just installed awesome wheels with awesome traction, and the diff was the weakest link, as opposed to before when the tires were the weakest.

I'm no tech, but if you are breaking traction with little effort, it seems to me your diff should be fine as the torque is being transferred away from the trans, if into thin air. This is not to say damage will not result from spinning the wheels, I just think you should have some peace of mind that your diff probably will not detonate suddenly in these frictionally-challenged conditions.

That said you should fix this problem as soon as you are able.

Cheers.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.