Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: EM Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
lol... I'm too damn excited! I know it's gonna take lots of work and time... And I thank ya for it! I'm just really looking forward to seeing what it'll do, sorry! didn't mean to pressure ya!
I understand but this will take some time... I will let you and everyone else know immediately when there is more progress made

Tom
Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Update:

Units will be here this week. I will immediately begin working with them. I am still in need of an adjustable dc power source adjustable from 10.0v to 15.0v if anyone has one I can borrow for a couple days or knows where I can get one for a decent price.

Tom
Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

woot!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Spent the past two days just trying to get the damn thing to start!!

Finally got it started tonight but there are a few things I need to move foward.

1. air temp sensor
2. Bung to weld in for the wideband.

Once I have these two things I will be able to get the base fuel and timing maps done. Once they are completed I will ship the two units to their owners with the new maps uploaded onto them.

I did take note of a couple typos in the Factory Service manuals though for anyone who may need them in the future. The pins for the coils are wrong which is what was giving me such a hard time. And since the igniter doesn't just pass the current, I couldn't trace them with a simple test of continuity. So I had to do it the hard way on at a time.

Coil-ECU connector-Pin
1-b62- 10
2-b62- 8
3-b62- 9
4-b62- 7
5-b62- 21
6-b62- 16

More later, I need a quick break from it

Tom
Old 12-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Bow chicka wow wow....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Registered fabricator

Very good news Tom! This engine management will open up tons of options for engine modifications. I think it's only a matter of time before 225-250 whp naturally aspirated SVX's are commonplace...

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I want this for a 4EAT now too.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Ok, got to cracking at the fuel maps today after I got the laptop up and working (this thing is 10 years old and power supply used to suck).

I have the idle&cruising AFR's and timing near perfect and the loaded AFR's kinda stupid rich. Timing seems to be in line right now, haven't heard anything audible and the knock sensors haven't picked up much of anything yet. So I will likely be leaving the timing tables where they are now for the base maps. Tomorrow I will do some trimming off the loaded AFR's to make them a little more reasonable. Once I have the basic fuel maps done I will go into cold start options to make them easier to start (mess with the start primer, cranking enrichment, etc...)

I must say though, the engine likes the extra fuel under heavy load. Pulls very smooth and strong throughout most of the powerband. I would like to dyno them just for ****s and giggles but I probably won't before they are shipped out. I can always drop it into Mike's car and plop it on a dyno for a few pulls in the future.

Just for those of you curious, as I have already had a couple people ask about emissions. You can always put the stock ECU back into the car within minutes and drive it. As long as you haven't modified your engine to the point of not passing, it should do just fine. If you must, I am sure you could write maps to allow it to pass emissions, but I don't see the point in that considering it would take 10 mins to drop the stock ECU back in.

I have already alerted Hydra EMS about the wiring mistakes in the FSM so future harnesses should be corrected. I will re-pin the harnesses on Sicksubie's and Sov13t's units so that they are correct.

I am also pleased to say with the unit running as well as it does now, they are officially available and you can order them at any time. I am going to ask that you do not ask me to post prices online, if you have a serious inquiry please send me an email to Sales@allwelldrive.net.

Lets all make some power

Tom
Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Very interesting and exciting! I'm glad to see things are working out!

Do you use the stock plugs n wiring harnesses to plug into the Hydra? I would assume this is the case since you said it takes minutes to switch back to stock.

When you said... few things I need to move forward.

1. air temp sensor
2. Bung to weld in for the wideband

What are these and how difficult is it to do this???
Old 12-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
Very interesting and exciting! I'm glad to see things are working out!

Do you use the stock plugs n wiring harnesses to plug into the Hydra? I would assume this is the case since you said it takes minutes to switch back to stock.

When you said... few things I need to move forward.

1. air temp sensor
2. Bung to weld in for the wideband

What are these and how difficult is it to do this???
Right now, I have the wideband wired into the system, I dug up a bung to weld into Mike's exhaust.

The air temp sensor is need for a couple reasons. Most important, the use of the stock MAF sensor is gone. We are using an MAP sensor. The MAF is able to calculate air temp and flow all in one, but the MAP can only measure the manifold vacuum/pressure and we need a way to monitor air temperature, so we need to fit an air temp sensor. I have not bothered to get one yet and have zeroed out the ait temp correction tables. This will be up to the end user to get one. I will post a link later for the sensor itself

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Fuel and timing maps are done... Now to tackle it for a better idle speed

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Maniac modifier

I have already taken the unit out of Mike's car and called it quits on the base maps. They are good enough to let the car run, and run well.

Also, I have installed it onto my SVX w/ the stage3 on it... Honestly, I am at a loss for words.

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Is that good or bad?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Is that good or bad?
Depends on who is reading it, for me... Its very good

Tom
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

That's great news then.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress