Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 PM

installing a transmission cooler... HELP!

is the in line filter the last thing for the fluid to go through on the way back to the transmission or the first thing inline for fluid to come through on the way out of the transmission.
Not sure how to hook up the cooler

I would lean to in series with the radiator cooler, not in parallel, but I want mine to cool after the radiator. No problem here in the winter with fluid temp getting too cool!

Need some input please...
Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: installing a transmission cooler... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
is the in line filter the last thing for the fluid to go through on the way back to the transmission or the first thing inline for fluid to come through on the way out of the transmission.

I would lean to in series with the radiator cooler, not in parallel, but I want mine to cool after the radiator. No problem here in the winter with fluid temp getting too cool!

Thanks,
Keith

Actually in series i your best option... I would suggest having the fluid run out of the trans---cooler---radiator---return to trans...

The trans is meant to operate at ~190* So what the external cooler will do it cool the fluid down... then it can hit the rad to maintain the 190*F which is normal operating temp and not cause issues... Keeping it too cold can cause the trans to never engage the torque converter lockup. So keeping it at an ideal temp by running it through the radiator last is prob the best bet...

Just so you know... Fluid flows from the front left corner of the trans, out to the coolers and returns into the back of the transmission on the left side.

Tom
Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM

Thank you Tom!
You are a lifesaver!!!!

Keith
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX
Lightbulb Re: installing a transmission cooler... HELP!

Keith,

How old is your radiator? What is the GVW of your new cooler. Where do you plan to place the cooler.

Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
Keith,

How old is your radiator? What is the GVW of your new cooler. Where do you plan to place the cooler.

Dave
I sandwiched the cooler between the air conditioner condenser... (not the Compressor) lol... and the radiator.
My radiator is Subaru svx from a dealer (ouch) between 1 and 2 years old... closer to one year.

I just came on to ask if that was a good place to put it and say your reply!

Thanks for the interest!!!

Keith
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Tom,

I'm looking at the tech info on the back of a Hayden stack cooler box, it lists temperatures and the expected tranny life, at 175*, 100,000 miles, at 195*, 50,000 miles, at 220*, 20,000, at 240*, 10,000, at 260, 5,000. It lists higher temps, I don't want to even go there. Also, for every 20* drop you double the life of the fluid and the tranny.

My torque converter will lock up around 130* and I wish it would stay there. On the hottest days here in the desert I have reached 230*, not for long, usually while going through the gears prior to the TC lock up.

I have a Hayden 30,000 GVW & I am about to stick another one beside it, behind the condenser I get 75% efficency=45,000 GVW. My 17 year old tranny has 117xxx miles, no rebuilds.

Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I sandwiched the cooler between the air conditioner condenser... (not the Compressor) lol... and the radiator.
My radiator is Subaru svx from a dealer (ouch) between 1 and 2 years old... closer to one year.

I just came on to ask if that was a good place to put it and say your reply!

Thanks for the interest!!!

Keith
My radiator was 9 years old when I installed the cooler. I by passed the radiator cooler & the temp dropped 20*

Behind the condenser the cooler is 75% efficient, in front 100%.

I asked about the size of your cooler because I believe bigger is better.

Dave
Old 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Tom,

I'm looking at the tech info on the back of a Hayden stack cooler box, it lists temperatures and the expected tranny life, at 175*, 100,000 miles, at 195*, 50,000 miles, at 220*, 20,000, at 240*, 10,000, at 260, 5,000. It lists higher temps, I don't want to even go there. Also, for every 20* drop you double the life of the fluid and the tranny.

My torque converter will lock up around 130* and I wish it would stay there. On the hottest days here in the desert I have reached 230*, not for long, usually while going through the gears prior to the TC lock up.

I have a Hayden 30,000 GVW & I am about to stick another one beside it, behind the condenser I get 75% efficency=45,000 GVW. My 17 year old tranny has 117xxx miles, no rebuilds.

Dave
The 4eat is designed to operate between 180-190*F. It will not allow TC lockup until it reaches 150*F and will not allow overdrive until it reaches 50*F. You can try and use generic information but the more coolers they sell, the more money they make.

Tom
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Quote:

Thanks,
Keith
This is the way I have it installed:

When looking underneath the car, there are two pipes coming from the transmission. The one on the bottom is the outgoing, and the one on the top is the incoming. You take the outgoing pipe and connected it via tranny hoses to an external filter (Permacool in my case). The out from the filter into the OEM radiator, then out from the radiator into the external oil cooler, and from the external oil cooler into the transmission. In my case I use a Permacool oil cooler with a fan built-in, so I always have ventilation through it even when the car is not moving.
'05 Subaru Impreza STi, '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, '01 Toyota Celica GT, '98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, '96 Isuzu Rodeo, '95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD, '94 Plymouth Sundance, '94 Subaru SVX LSi, '93 Subaru Impreza, '92 Subaru SVX LS-L, 2003 Subaru Baja.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The 4eat is designed to operate between 180-190*F. It will not allow TC lockup until it reaches 150*F and will not allow overdrive until it reaches 50*F. You can try and use generic information but the more coolers they sell, the more money they make.

Tom
Tom,

Please, tell me where the 150* TC lock up comes from. I would love to run at 149*, are you saying I don't lock up at 130*? I have an electric temp gauge, it can't be lying at both ends of the spectrum.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Maniac modifier

your temp gauge is reading your cooler line temp, not your pan temp... which is what the TCU reads to determine how to run the transmission. The operating temps can be seen in the FSM

Tom
Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
your temp gauge is reading your cooler line temp, not your pan temp... which is what the TCU reads to determine how to run the transmission. The operating temps can be seen in the FSM

Tom
Tom,

My temp gauge senor is in a Perma Cool spin on filter housing in the line coming out of the tranny. The temp reading is what is coming out of the tranny, not the cooler. I still say cooler is better.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
My radiator was 9 years old when I installed the cooler. I by passed the radiator cooler & the temp dropped 20*

Dave
They had 4 sizes and the second up was for an automobile that also does towing. I elected for that one. Hopefully that will add some more years to the transmission.
We never really know do we. This is the 3rd transmission the dealer finally settled with during a 3 week period a couple of months ago and this one has some occasional slipping in circumstances where it is not supposed to have... And the car is not really being pushed when it happens. I may never push it again!

All good ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Dave
This particular one would not fit in front
Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Tom,

My temp gauge senor is in a Perma Cool spin on filter housing in the line coming out of the tranny. The temp reading is what is coming out of the tranny, not the cooler. I still say cooler is better.
Well, think what you like, I have no objections to a tranny that runs cooler as long as normal operation is not bothered.

Tom