Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Resident Filmmaker

Those silly windows! (Not what you're thinking))

Alright, so as owners of this particular vehicle, we get commented on the windows ALL the time. But after the novelty wears off, and your friends are used to them, they notice other things...

...like why the hell did Subaru feel it was necessary to put child-safe windows in the back when an ordinary person couldn't fit their head through the space provided in the first place?!?

One of my friends just pointed it out while riding back there, citing the fact he felt a bit claustrophobic and the only thing that made him feel better was the abundance of windows in the back makes it bright and airy compared to other coupe back seats. He was happy to learn the back windows even roll down, but as soon as the window stopped rolling down he instantly became a wiseguy and started making fun of the fact it's completely idiotic to have a window that tiny and not even have it roll down all the way

The point i'm trying to get at here is that I'd like to know if there are any cheap, effective, minimally-intrusive ways of modifying the back window so that the darn thing rolls down all the way?

or would that require moving the motors and all that and totally not worth the effort?

I just got my glass tinted, so it's understandable he felt cramped back there, but being 6'3" doesn't help him much either haha

"BMW is the pioneer of character lines?
Whatever. Take a look at my Subaru's windows
and tell me those lines don't have character.
Punk."
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
lol

i was wondering the same thing when my friend tried to stick his head out the back window and just ended up hurting his ear. (he likes to yell at girls that pass by) oh by the way i saw your video on youtube. thats pretty kool man
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Not sure about the modification, but may take a look at the regulator the next time I have a chance, though I doubt its possible to make the rears lower completely.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
The tricky bit is going to be stretching the car a few inches to accommodate the mechanism and window, methinks.

There are plenty of car windows that have been dubbed "child safe" that those shorties in the back seat can jump through like nobody's business. I'll blame the space under the back window (body or door) first.

The power window locks and the door locks? For the kids, for sure. I'll throw down the gauntlet and challenge anyone to show me a partial window car that has plenty of room for the window to disappear!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane View Post
...like why the hell did Subaru feel it was necessary to put child-safe windows in the back when an ordinary person couldn't fit their head through the space provided in the first place?!?
If memory serves correct from the last time I had those panels out.. that is as far as they can go!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
If memory serves correct from the last time I had those panels out.. that is as far as they can go!
That would be my bet too. I think if they go down any farther you'll just end up with glass hitting the wheel arches. That's the case in a lot of back windows that only go half-way down, they can't physically go down any farther or the window will bottom out. A lot of sedans have a fixed window on the rear doors to make the moving part shorter so it can lower all the way, or at least farther.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Resident Filmmaker

That all seems very true now that I've looked back at it. What a bummer! haha, I was hoping it was a possibility but that doesn't seem to be the case. At least I know that no one can pop their head out it without some unpleasant repercussions

"BMW is the pioneer of character lines?
Whatever. Take a look at my Subaru's windows
and tell me those lines don't have character.
Punk."
Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
I bet they dont go down because there's no room for them inside the panels
Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmmm.....so who's gonna be the first to put a legacy rear window regulator in an svx? I love how the legacys windows go down in a broken-looking fasion (but, they GO DOWN)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
They put Child Safe windows in for the same reason that they put an "emergency trunk release" glow in the dark pull-tab thing in the "trunk" of my fathers '03 911 Turbo. It's essentially large enough for a small brief case, nothing more
Old 06-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
They put Child Safe windows in for the same reason that they put an "emergency trunk release" glow in the dark pull-tab thing in the "trunk" of my fathers '03 911 Turbo. It's essentially large enough for a small brief case, nothing more
lol that would be good for when your kid is being bad lol jk
Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
There are plenty of car windows that have been dubbed "child safe" that those shorties in the back seat can jump through like nobody's business. I'll blame the space under the back window (body or door) first.

The power window locks and the door locks? For the kids, for sure. I'll throw down the gauntlet and challenge anyone to show me a partial window car that has plenty of room for the window to disappear!
Still waiting for that picture, folks. "Child safe" is a ridiculous concept.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
what if Mini Me could got locked in there?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Still waiting for that picture, folks. "Child safe" is a ridiculous concept.
Welcome to the world of automotive "spin"

Certain software companies have insisted to my team that illogical limitations in the software are "features" aswell (ongoing headache)
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 06-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane View Post
I just got my glass tinted, so it's understandable he felt cramped back there, but being 6'3" doesn't help him much either haha
The only people I let ride in the back of the SVX is my 12 year old son. I understand that it can be cramped back there and even difficult to get in and out. I also understand that people will probably complain about getting in and out from back there (Like my wife did when she got back there recently and she's only 5'4). If I now people are going to get in the back, I get another car for them or ride in there's if necessary. No issues!

I think that it is not necessarily a 'child-proof' feature. It may be a compromise of the window/car design itself but instead of saying that, Subaru decided to stay on the 'positive' side and say the window design has a reason behind it.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)