Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-12-2002, 04:58 PM
museumquality

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

This is in answer to the question, "Why is there no exterior marking on the vehicle stating it has LoJack? Couldn't a sticker saying I have LoJack act as a theft deterrent?"
I totally believe it could, i believe it would be much more effective than "protected by subaru" which i might add is simply locatable through a manual, and is very easy to rip into.

And for those in areas of high theft this is and should be a concern. As the popularity of Subaru grows with the wrx and sti version soon to come. The older school (svx) will begin to retain value, get more notoriety and may even see a slight improvement on its depreciation. I think the SVX will become a very appreciated vehicle in time.

A friend had lo jack installed on his Ford Lightning, he wasn't supplied with decals. He asked me to produce a few for him for the purpose of making a thief hesitate before finding out the hard way. It may not stop them all, but it is the best of the best systems out there, its got to be intimidating. Perhaps one day i will actually install the system.

For now decals for the concerned if you wish.

Jimi the paranoid svx lover
Old 06-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I can understand your response. However I'd hazard to guess that the thief has ample time to locate the device and disable it before the owner even knows it is missing. A car is only so big and there are only so many places the device cold be hidden. The system, the last I heard, had to be activated by the local PD to be tracked. So there is a valid point in not 'advertising' that the vehicle is so equipped.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:45 PM
museumquality

The idea is to perhaps deter a good percentage , any theif thinking he has ample time will just find himself troubled when he comes up with nothing, because i do not have the system. So perhaps if one tried to search for it, may end up walking away frustrated. THough as Pockets quoted and i have found, they do hide the unit in different loactions, - locations where it could take quite along time to find, and could be close to impossibe.

In conjunction with your standard alarm i think it would be a big mess on anyone considering the snag.

As i stated this is a big concern for us in high risk areas. I unfortunatley am in that area. So it concerns me in a big way.
I may just eventually break down and put the system in the car.

I can though understand a bit of your view Beav, especially for the areas that do not know much or anything about lo jack. I suppose this could be possible.

jimi installing the freshly painted 97 grill tonight, man i'm excited!!!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Good grief, get a grip

Gee, it's nice to know that people in LA think Louisville is a backwater community...ahhh, forget it. This isn't worth the effort.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:45 PM
museumquality

a grip on what???

you posted in question of the idea? just sharing what i know and feel, -a contribution to the board. as far as your comment on your area, i have no idea what it's like there. i simply say this, lo jack isn't available everywhere, therefore some may not know of.

Beav, i appologize if i came across in a rude way.

i don't want a debate, those interested in this topic will be for a good reason.

jimi- out and onward-
Old 06-12-2002, 07:48 PM
Really Senior Member

When I purchased my 1st SVX in 1995 from a dealer in NJ, there was a Lojack transmitter installed. The first owner discontinued paying for service when she turned the car in on a lease. I moved to an area in PA that didn't have Lojack service so I never reactivated it but the transmitter is still in the car. I just sold it to another SVX Club member and forgot to mention it because I had the car for over 6 years and totally forgot that it even had the system until I just happened to look at the dealer's papers from the purchase.
Anyway, if you go to www.lojack.com you can read about the system by looking for the FAQ's. Note that they do not supply stickers because they would rather guarantee you will get the car back if stolen. I often wondered about that logic. Wouldn't it be better to prevent the car from being stolen in the first place? Also, since the transmitter is about the size of a deck of cards, it would be pretty tough to quickly locate the transmitter. I asked my Subaru dealer to let me look under the chassis when it was on a lift and the mechanic and I couldn't find it.
Hope this helps.

Sold 92 Pearlie in 2002 and 96 Polo in 2009, both to Earl Steele. Currently driving 2004 Acura TL
Old 06-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
The SVX is its own theft deterrent system - generally no one wants them (except a few enthusiasts).
Old 06-13-2002, 04:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I know that this is a thread about Lo-Jack.
However, the boys in the Brooklyn SVX Club have a competing service. It's called "Hi-Jack".
If you register your car with Uncle Vito and cousin Bruno, they guarantee that your car will not be stolen. If it ever is, they can get you an SVX to your specs. They also have a parts service with super discount prices. You can specify brand new parts or slightly used ones.

Lorenzo di tre
Old 06-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I know that this is a thread about Lo-Jack.
However, the boys in the Brooklyn SVX Club have a competing service. It's called "Hi-Jack".
If you register your car with Uncle Vito and cousin Bruno, they guarantee that your car will not be stolen. If it ever is, they can get you an SVX to your specs. They also have a parts service with super discount prices. You can specify brand new parts or slightly used ones.

Lorenzo di tre
I thought we had an 'agreement' not to talk about my 'family' business... I guess I will have to send the 'boys' down to pay you a 'visit'... sheesh, there is NO loyalty these days...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

I thought we had an 'agreement' not to talk about my 'family' business... I guess I will have to send the 'boys' down to pay you a 'visit'... sheesh, there is NO loyalty these days...

Yo Ponzini, you talkin' ta me ?
Show some respect !!
I'm a direct descendant of the New York Family.
So watch whatya' say or fahgetaboutit !!!

Lorenzo Contare' (aka Lorenzo di tre')
Old 06-13-2002, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Yo Ponzini, you talkin' ta me ?
Show some respect !!
I'm a direct descendant of the New York Family.
So watch whatya' say or fahgetaboutit !!!

Lorenzo Contare' (aka Lorenzo di tre')
'I don't know what you're talking about...'
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 06-14-2002, 04:36 AM

Registered SVX
Chris,

Italians have a very close-knit, family oriented culture. The Brooklyn side of my family has started a charitable organization. It is the Mothers And Fathers Italian Association.
It helps needy people in various ways. They have chapters in every major US city.
I could put in a good word for you, if you'd like to join.

Larry
Old 06-14-2002, 01:59 PM

OK, I know about the close knit Italian family culture, but I am not sure if you are extending the joke here, or what...

I dont just carry the name, my great grand parents came over 'on the boat' if you will...

Old 06-14-2002, 02:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
How many SVX's have been stolen?
\

There was one that I know of that was stolen. It was recovered a week later and the only things missing were the windows (smashed) and all the wheels were gone.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-14-2002, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX
Chris,

That's the best type of humor. My grandparents came from the old country. They were from Palermo. That's on the island that the boot keeps kicking.

Larry III