Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
power loss

ok folks. I was driving home from work today. on the hwy cruising along at 120 km/hr when I started to lose power and eventually came to a complete stop with all my dash lights on. I shut the car down, restarted it and drove home with no problems.
In the past month or so I noticed the car "whistles" whenever I give it gas... almost sounds like a fuel pump or fuel injector problem.
When I first got in the car this evening I noticed the whistling was a little louder than usual.
After the car stalled and I restarted it on the hwy. the whistling seems to have stopped.
Any ideas what may have caused this power loss and eventual stall....
thanks
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
ok had to take the dog to the vet this morning and once again the car had no power. I made it over and back but that's about it. If I hit the gas the tach goes higher but the speed does not.... ohoh starting to look a little like it might be a tranny issue. Any suggestions?
I've been searching the list and originally thought it was the MAF and I guess it still could be but I'm also starting to think tranny even though the tranny has never given me a problem. Oh, it was raining both last night and today so I wonder if the dampness might be playing a role...
94 LSI with 170,000 kilometres

Last edited by Subie59; 05-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 AM

Sounds like a transmission issue based on your second post. When my high clutch went out it had similar symptoms. I'd be driving along on the highway and it would feel like something was slipping since I could increase my rmps but I wouldn't go any faster. Eventually it couldn't even go into third or fourth and I ended up replacing the transmission.
Not saying this is what's wrong with your car but it's certainly a possibility and probably the worst case scenario.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Thanks Maxo. Worst case scenario for sure... I'm going to take the car out on the weekend and do some tests to see what happens. Should be able to get a better feel for the problem then.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM

hmm... first post sounds like an alternator possibly going out but probably not based on the second post. I thought when the light christmas treed' it was usually the alt. Just a thought. If the alt had no power coming out of it and the battery was dead it wouldnt have enough juice to power the coils or anything else for that matter. Atleast thats how jeeps are when the battery is toast. Got to feather the pedal just to get it to stay running. Sorry wish i could help more but thats all i got.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Registered SVX
Your description is not conclusive, and it would appear that adjusting the brake band is worth a shot.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM

were all the dash lits on...

just when the engine died-was not running?? and the key was still on?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Yes christmas lights just as it died. no sputtering or anything like that just a slow and steady death. 30 seconds later I restarted it and off we went.... Based on this I really am questioning if it's the tranny. If it was the tranny I don't think the engine would just slow down and eventually die. It would keep running but the car would not be able to move forward...???
Alternator may be a possibilty, but would the car continue to start after that... Come to think of it the car has not started quite as easily in the past week...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
after extensive searches into the archives I have come to the conclusion that the car is in drive home mode and the likely cause of the problem is a sensor issue. Because the car powered down slowly [almost like it was running out of gas] I think the problem might be fuel related. In addition, both my wife and I were getting a smell of gas from the car both when it was driving and even when it was parked in the driveway. It was also making an odd noise (like a faulty fuel pump or injectors) when I touched the gas. It is going into the dealership for diagnosis Monday, so I will keep everyone informed about what they say.
Any suggestions about how to approach this and if I should make any suggestions to the dealership would be appreciated....
thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM

the reason I asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
Yes christmas lights just as it died. no sputtering or anything like that just a slow and steady death. 30 seconds later I restarted it and off we went.... Based on this I really am questioning if it's the tranny. If it was the tranny I don't think the engine would just slow down and eventually die. It would keep running but the car would not be able to move forward...???
Alternator may be a possibilty, but would the car continue to start after that... Come to think of it the car has not started quite as easily in the past week...
The lights would come on if the car died... not related to any alternator problem... a normal thing. thought the bad engine performance might have distracted you. Doesn't sound like an alternator problem but I am anxious to find out what your problem is... real anxious.
Keith
Old 05-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Maybe two different troubles.

First this bit that you said.
"If I hit the gas the tach goes higher but the speed does not.."
If this is the way it happens. it can only be a slipping something.

But then you say in your last post that you"both can smell fuel", and that there is a "knocking noise when you hit the throttle".

It would say it may well be worth checking that the lnlet manifold is not loose, as does happen, for the latter, and check again that the "If I hit the gas the tach goes higher but the speed does not.." and we will know if there is a tranmission problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Thanks oab someone else suggested the manifold. I'll check as best as a guy that knows little about cars can check...
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Trasmission probably not slipping at all.

Not necessarily slipping…probably not slipping at all. Is probably down shifting, therefore increased the RPM, but would definitely give the feel of slipping.
Lord only knows how long the life of your transmission will be but this is not a transmission problem.

This sounds too similar to the problem I had with my SVX that began a couple of months ago. The smell of gas… drastic loss of powers… the rpm increasing when trying to accelerate but not gaining speed. . The really weird noise that the engine makes…not just weird, but real, scary weird noise.

Mine always started easy, ran great and a mile or so later has epileptic attack (no offense intended) that literally feels like half the engine fell off. The first time it happened, was going up a grade and in the SVX spirit, I gave it the petal to the metal thing. Not just to be doing it, but I am always in a hurry. The rpm jumped almost to red line but no increase in speed... the car had no power, but made a real scary noise. I thought I had blown the transmission. Scared the tar out of me!

I took mine to the Subaru dealer almost 6 weeks ago and they still are working on it. It will be 6 weeks this coming Monday May 5- 2008 and 3 transmission replacements later, (maybe 4 ) they haven't called me in a week but are still trying to work it out. Great people over there. I really appreciate them. If I ever buy a non svx, it will be from them. (serious)

My transmission is still under warranty from a previous replacement almost 2 years ago and replacement is free. They certainly weren’t trying to sell me something I didn’t need. The dealer treats me great and I can certainly understand why a mechanic that sees only one or two SVX’s in a lifetime could have a problem. . They have been in touch with the Subaru factory people to get guidance.

It was not my transmission at all and I only briefly thought it could have been. I spent a couple of days trying to work out the real problem with help from the great people on this form. Some spring snow was coming, a cold-no heat garage for me... so I just flipped a coin and the Dealer lost! I took it to them.

Therefore, I would love to find out what is really going on with yours… Subie59, I encourage you to spare no expense in getting to the bottom of this and get right back to us as I patently continue my “hope of a cure”.
If you can work this out, I will get up a petition to get you, not one, but two of those STI thingies!!!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 05-03-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: had to fix some stuff
Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Just a small update. I decided to drive the car over to the dealership today with my wife following in case of any problems. Boy was that an adventure. Before we left I tried to check the engine to see if there was anything obvious. When I revved the engine there was a rattling sound like a bolt was running around inside the engine. I'm sure it wasn't but that is the best description. Started out ok but very soon into the 15km trip the car lost power. I started out at about 40 km/hr went down to 30 and by the time I turned into the dealersip I was lucky to get over 5kms an hr. I did not think I was going to get there for a while and then I didn't think I could make the turn across three lanes of traffic to get her into the dealership.... Could be transmission still but the way the engine was running I think it is more likely an engine problem.... But I will find out soon enough
Old 05-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59 View Post
Just a small update. I decided to drive the car over to the dealership today with my wife following in case of any problems. Boy was that an adventure. Before we left I tried to check the engine to see if there was anything obvious. When I revved the engine there was a rattling sound like a bolt was running around inside the engine. I'm sure it wasn't but that is the best description. Started out ok but very soon into the 15km trip the car lost power. I started out at about 40 km/hr went down to 30 and by the time I turned into the dealersip I was lucky to get over 5kms an hr. I did not think I was going to get there for a while and then I didn't think I could make the turn across three lanes of traffic to get her into the dealership.... Could be transmission still but the way the engine was running I think it is more likely an engine problem.... But I will find out soon enough
You made it to the dealer ok!! I also drove mine to the dealer... about 12 miles or so over there.

mostly on the freeway. got it up to 75 on slight downgrades, but any hint of an upgrade, reverted to the freeway shoulder and about 30 mph tops!

An SVX gets some funny looks at 30 mph on the freeway and trying to get over to the shoulder.

Best of luck,
Keith