Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Locking AWD

Anyone ever eliminated this clutch system and just locked in your AWD? The car will not be driven much, ever.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Graphic Artist

I think that would be ill advised, unless the car will only be driven in a straight line.

Locking the mechanism would not allow any slippage between the front and rear differentials, at best, this would present issues while turning on dry pavement (extreme shuttering/binding, axle/cv/differential failure). At worst it would in all likelyhood cause a wreck on wet/slippery surfaces during cornering. Think of an uncontrolled awd drift at 60 on an on ramp.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

my duty C solinoid was bad keeping it locked in 50/50 awd, if thats what you're wondering, unhooking the duty C wire would lock it up.... however parking lots/driveways/u-turns are not very fun at all, as it hopped/binded in tight turns, it felt very bad for the drive terrain.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
You'll never get it to corner well with a solid 50/50 split. It'll push severely on turn in & snap loose on exit.
Knowing you want to run this SVX in the 24hrs of LeMons, I'd reccommend a 4.44 swap. Also a tranny cooler is a MUST. The 4EAT will not survive that kind of abuse without one. I don't know if you can fit that into your budget, but it's your best bet to make it to the finish line.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
You'll never get it to corner well with a solid 50/50 split. It'll push severely on turn in & snap loose on exit.
Knowing you want to run this SVX in the 24hrs of LeMons, I'd reccommend a 4.44 swap. Also a tranny cooler is a MUST. The 4EAT will not survive that kind of abuse without one. I don't know if you can fit that into your budget, but it's your best bet to make it to the finish line.

If the car doesnt receive "the people's curse" at the race, and get crushed, I plan on using it at SCCA rally events and at that point want to try a manual swap. That, on the other hand, is completely out of the question for the LeMons race. I have an trans cooler that I am going to install, and am thinking about a second. Luckily I am able to mount them in very conspicious locations (lots of air getting to them) that someone on the street would never do.

Now, where is this "Duty C solenoid" fuse? (if this works, it would be excellent for rally)
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Facing the front of the car, under the hood on the right behind the battery. There's a fusebox. The one you're looking for is labeled FWD. It takes a 15A fuse.

As fancy & fast as the SVX is, it's a shoo-in for the people's curse!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

the FWD fuse won't lock it in 50/50. it puts it in front wheel drive, for diagnostics. the duty C solinoid is in the tail end of the transmission housing, in the output shaft housing. it is kinda labor extensive, drain tranny, disconnect drive line, pull apart housing....PITA. there should be some other way to kill power to it, but it will require a bit of home work, try a search for "duty C"
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerful View Post
Anyone ever eliminated this clutch system and just locked in your AWD? The car will not be driven much, ever.
Yes. Make it rear wheel drive. its a nice option for when your front diff explodes.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post

As fancy & fast as the SVX is, it's a shoo-in for the people's curse!
I'm kinda afraid of that. Hopefully there will be some obvious ringers there.