Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

strut mount / top hat stiffening possibility?

i have my struts off and i noticed there is a gap in the top hat that has rubber around it but looks like if it were filled all the way with rubber it would decrease body roll any one tried some window weld rtv in there? it's hard to explain where i'm talking about so i'll post pics later. does anybody know what was changed from the original top hat and the revised one they sell now? i'm trying to figure out which ones i have.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
you really don't get body roll from top hats... stiffening the rest of the suspension might help

Tom
Old 03-20-2008, 01:39 AM

Registered SVX
You should read up on the MacPherson strut and you will then understand how what you suggest could have no affect. Google will provide loads of info.

I hope you are not influenced by blurb from after marker strut brace manufactures. Claims are made when a brace can have no affect and also in order to sell useless bow like, decorations.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 AM

Have a look in the first pages of this thread and you will see a set of top strut filled as you discribed. They are mine I don't think they make much difference about body roll you will get more effect from harder springs.
Tony
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41096
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You should read up on the MacPherson strut and you will then understand how what you suggest could have no affect. Google will provide loads of info.

I hope you are not influenced by blurb from after marker strut brace manufactures. Claims are made when a brace can have no affect and also in order to sell useless bow like, decorations.
Unless you're getting flex between towers/engine bay.
Think old school mustangs in particular.
If you want to stiffen whole front end from flex they'll make a difference, like if ya wanna be a racer boy.
I laught cuz you're all the same."
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM

yup tony that's what i'm talking about. i'm not saying this is going to make a dramatic difference, just get rid of some slop. i'm actually looking for that difference in the first defective struts design bec/ i've got cluncking and this seems like the only spot that has any vertical play. but from what it looks like off the car it seems filling that void would have some type of stiffening effect because it does flex there. well, i'll do the guinea pig thing and report back, bec/ speculating isn't going to get us anywhere.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Some custom camber/caster plates would fix that up for you
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM

I think it make the front stiffer for sure because you can feel the difference just driving alonag the road, so thinking about it I would have to accept you are most likly right.
The one pice of advise is you need to find the right kind of fill the one in my strut mounts is coming out and breaking away.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 PM

i used 3m window weld RTV. i have used this stuff on a few other bushings and mounts with far greater results than stock, it's locally avalible for $10 you can't go wrong if it makes any improvement at all. so those are drying right now, we'll see tomarrow.