How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
just some advice

NEVER EVER EVER drive your svx, or any car, with a ripped cv joint for very long, once you hear the clicking GET IT REPLACED!!!!! i made the mistake of driving mine even though the sound was terrible. today while driving the joint just broke. i guess it popped out of place, not exactly sure what happened as i didnt look at it. i was planning on replacing it next weekend too!!! now i have to pay 80 bucks to get it replaced! (i have the part already) i would still do it myself except we had a snow storm and there is about a foot of snow on the ground... hold on..... its snowing again!! i definitely cant do it now! luckily i was driving around on my land in the snow just having some fun when it happened so i didnt have to get towed or anything. just get it fixed if yours is clicking! just some advice!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
You have a clicking CV joint and you drive it round in the snow?

Thanks man, I can picture that, it made my day.

Very sound advice.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Had to

I really had no choice, since my '92 was all I had to drive with when it started. I guess I went about 3 weeks, but just the clicking.
I got the parts from SVXfiles, and did the job myself. I also went on to add my PermaCool, and pull the pan, and do the internal Tranny Filter.
So, I lotta things got dood this time around. Now, the next big concern is the RattleTrap deal from the front end. What a Bugger.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I had some FWD cars go into clicking mode for me, no bad results. At the time I was poor, so I drove for thousands of miles with the loose joint.

However, you can drive with a bad joint for a long time provided you always apply power while the wheels are pointing straight ahead, and the joint is in its tightest configuration.

One belt of power while the wheels are on full or half lock, and the ball bearings will just pop, and the joint dis-assembles.

That's why I think it's funny to be running a clicking joint in the snow, where on lock driving is going to happen anyway.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
You have a clicking CV joint and you drive it round in the snow?

Thanks man, I can picture that, it made my day.

Very sound advice.

heck yeah! thats what i bought the car for! i tried doing it with my saturn i used to have and i got it stuck about 3 feet into the snow past my parking area, had to dig it out, thats no fun! haha. sometimes i just cant resist driving through that fresh powder, its like snowboarding, if i see fresh powder in the woods i gotta be the first tracks haha. it pains me to wake up in the morning after a snow storm and see people have already driven down my road, it might be only 1 set of tracks but dont they realize my svx has first dibs???? yesterday i was taking my gf home and a jeep pulled over to let me by on the back roads! at least someone knows the rules!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Haha.

Been driving with a clicking joint since January...

I just cant bring myself to work on the car in this cold weather! I already replaced the one, I hoped the other side would make it through the winter. We'll see...

I'm actually planning on contacting OT about getting a new halfshaft... I need to get around to that!

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM

i just had mine swapped out with one i had today. took them 2 hours, paid 80 bucks, but hey, i got the axle for 25 so im not complaining. my old one is in 2 peices haha. im just glad thats done, one more thing to cross of the to-do list.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
i just had mine swapped out with one i had today. took them 2 hours, paid 80 bucks, but hey, i got the axle for 25 so im not complaining. my old one is in 2 peices haha. im just glad thats done, one more thing to cross of the to-do list.
Both front axles replaced this week by OT and i hadn't gotten to the clicking noise yet but the boots were torn so it was just a matter of time...
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I had some FWD cars go into clicking mode for me, no bad results. At the time I was poor, so I drove for thousands of miles with the loose joint.

My 87 turbowagon has had clicking front axles for like, 4 years but they only really make a bunch of noise if it's in 4WD so I haven;t been too worried about it, but I do need to get new axles for it... And since they're XT6 axles, they're hard to find... I think I need to swap to Impreza knuckles so I can use the more commonly available Impreza axles.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta