How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Hi Everyone!!

Hello Peoples, My name is Jade.. I'm currently livin in MA. And I can't stand it.. It's only temporary though.. Anywayz, as you can tell I'm new to the site.. So I thought I'd introduce myself..
I'm a certified engine machinist, and I'm wastin my time and skills doin nothing up here in new england..
I do not own an SVX.. I do own a suby though.. I got a gc8, 99 rs coupe.. The RS is basically all stock, I have a custom intake box, suspension, and some other look-good parts.. I have a turbo from a wrx thats goin on, but I'm waiting till I decide what I'm using for management before I put it on...
I also have an old skool accord, that has custom ITB's and ALOT of engine work!!

Well the reason I join your communty is Knowledge!!.. I'm goin to be buying a good condition svx in the next 6 months hopefully, only so I can rip it to peices ..

My plan.. Built H-6 twin turbo, 5speed 4.11FD drivetrain into a Honda!!
lol, yes I know it's sac-relige but, it hasn't been done either! Imagine an STI owners face when I run him from a launch in an old skool honda and beat him!! It WILL BE GREAT, lol...

But anywayz, as I said I"m here to learn, I got quite a bit to do to..

So I got one question to start out with..
Is it true the 3.3 is the same bore and stroke as the 2.2?

Thanx for any help...

And Hi again to everyone!!

Thanx,
Jade
Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
O noe's not the honda ^^;. If you can do the twin turbo go for it and welcome to the site. I am sure if you are just looking for an EG33 you can buy one, as I am sure someone has one on here. No need to grab up a whole SVX if you are just after the engine.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I am sure if you are just looking for an EG33 you can buy one, as I am sure someone has one on here. No need to grab up a whole SVX if you are just after the engine.
Agreed.

Welcome to the site.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jade,
Welcome! You might want to take some measurements to make sure the EG33 will fit in the Honda's engine bay. Given the "boxer" config, it's a little wider than you might thing.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanx to all.. Actually I have done quite a bit of research for the project..
From what I've read..
-The eg33 is 1.5" longer then my ej25.. Even then, it's still super short, (front to back), in the honda engine compartment.
- Remember, honda engines sit "sideways" as they are front wheel drive, which really leaves plent of room for the motor plus piping..
- The honda it is going into is remarkably close to the same dimensions as my gc8
- The reason I compare to the gc8 is because I plan on using drivetrain and suspension components from that car, because the dimensions are so close..
- I know that people have put eg33s into gc8's so as far as fitment, that is not an issue, the actual issue is mounting points and securing everything efficiently and safely...

I'd prefer to buy the whole car because I will need the wire harness and other spare parts..
I am not 100% sure as to what I'll be using for management, thats one of the reasons I'm here..
-Are there any regular forum members that have successfully TT'd their eg33?

I don't know if I'll go full stand alone.. I'd like to make the vehicle appear as stock as possible as if it came from the factory, so i'd like to use the factory/tuned with piggyback ecu, if possible.

I'm also concerned about interfacing the subaru ecu and sensors with the honda dashboard, therefore I want the subaru dash components so can modify them to fit in the honda if needed..

To be honest, I'm only in the planning stages of this project. But it WILL happen. I strive to be different, and this is up there..

Over the next year I will be gathering up everything need for the project..
Vehicles I'm buying for the project
-Wrecked 2004 STI
- 93-99 Impreza L (chasis and suspension only)
- 86-89 Honda Accord DX (Shell only)

Also can anyone answer this question for me?
Is it true the 3.3 is the same bore and stroke as the 2.2?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
There is a member or two with single turbos, but no current TT setups. There are also a few members running superchargers. The reason noone has mad serious effort on the TT front is because there is no room under the hood of the SVX for 2 turbos. There have been a few EG33's popping up in other vehicles with TT's however. Check ECUTune.com for possible ECU tuning needs.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM

even the guys with single turbos will be of great assistance..
Thanx for the help..
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Dude, just build the *$&@ out of an SVX, the Honduh kids will be like WTF is that car with the funny windows that just blew our doors off???

Better idea, find a Cadillac with either a 4.9 V8 or the 32V Northstar, stuff that in a Honda with a fart can on one bank and a quiet exhaust on the other (so it sounds like a four banger), and then run dual dumps into dual flowmasters, so at the flick of a switch you go from sounding like your standard ricer with his grapefruit shooter, to all out V8 muscle, should be enough to make anyone go WTF.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Dude, just build the *$&@ out of an SVX, the Honduh kids will be like WTF is that car with the funny windows that just blew our doors off???

Better idea, find a Cadillac with either a 4.9 V8 or the 32V Northstar, stuff that in a Honda with a fart can on one bank and a quiet exhaust on the other (so it sounds like a four banger), and then run dual dumps into dual flowmasters, so at the flick of a switch you go from sounding like your standard ricer with his grapefruit shooter, to all out V8 muscle, should be enough to make anyone go WTF.
/\ wHaT hE sAiD
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...your honestly better off using the wrx engine. youll find that theres a magical thing called an aftermrket for it, AND with a turbo and piping, its about 40 lbs lighter than the eg33. Its also shorter, leaving you less weight at the front AND not so far forward.

if your using the eg3 for budget pourposes..get yourself one of them twin turbo 2.0l's and work from there. As far as I know, they are the same as the single turbo wrx motors, just with diffent headers ect. on them. The money you spend on making the eg33 turboworthy will be much more than that of upgrading an already good motor

just my two cents
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post

Buildin the Sh*ste out of an SVX would be no fun to me for quite a few reasons.
1. Its been done
2. Anyone and there mom can do it
3. Yall said it yourself not to much aftermarket support (I'm a hard core suspension hog)

So thats 3 plenty good reasons there why I wouldn't build an SVX itself

Now maybe after project #1, if I felt froggy I might throw a LS1 in the SVX chasis just for kicks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian View Post
/\ wHaT hE sAiD
Thanx for the negativity.. Do you treat all your noobs with that much respect?.. I really hope these forums aint like them stuck up sh*te bags at NA**OC..
They like to flame everyone! and shoot down all ideas and topics if it aint brought up by their elite 20..
I know my momma said if I ain't got nothin nice to say don't say it at all.. I heeded that info, and if it ain't nice, but pertinent and on topic then it can't hurt, I come here with that respect for all of you. I ask you do the same..

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
...your honestly better off using the wrx engine. youll find that theres a magical thing called an aftermrket for it, AND with a turbo and piping, its about 40 lbs lighter than the eg33. Its also shorter, leaving you less weight at the front AND not so far forward.

if your using the eg3 for budget pourposes..get yourself one of them twin turbo 2.0l's and work from there. As far as I know, they are the same as the single turbo wrx motors, just with diffent headers ect. on them. The money you spend on making the eg33 turboworthy will be much more than that of upgrading an already good motor

just my two cents
True in some aspects, except a nice ej20t, ej22t, ej257 cost plenty of coin.. True the ej20tt's are cheap and have two turbos, But the power they make still isn't all that great compared to its single turbo counter parts..
So right off the bat I'm payin $1200 for motor only, minus wire harnesses, trans, possible accessories. To $2700 for a swap..
For $1200 I can get 2 more cyclinders plus a whole car.
In the end, I believe total cost is gonna be relatively equal if not less then the 2.0 2.2 or 2.5..

With the build I plan for the motor and drivetrain, in the end,(not the first build), weight will not be an issue.. If I was concerned about weight, I wouldn't us this motor coupled with awd drivetrain, because that itself outways a metro, or crx..

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
The money you spend on making the eg33 turboworthy will be much more than that of upgrading an already good motor
just my two cents
Keep in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftToCarz View Post
I'm a certified engine machinist,
With that said, even though I'm not currently workin at a shop, I still have my own knowledge, and tools.. And I still have my connections, So building the motor will not be cheap, (I've been researching internal parts for eg33, OUCH) but it will not be as expensive as it would for the "average shmoe" off of this forum to build..

I'm doing this build for me.. But not only for me.. I'm doing it to show people that there are still untapped Ideas out there to be dun!! It's different! It has a WOW factor to it..
Thats why I want an H-6, with TWO turbos in a HONDA..
I know there's alot of people that wanna shoot the idea down, for those people all I can say is "happy shootin" you'll miss me all day.. The more people doubt it, The more I strive to complete it..
This build is a true project, definately not for the faint at heart, your novice builder, average ricer, or notorious forum techy (you know, the ones that know it all on the internet, but couldn't break a crank pulley loose, Or the ones who act like they know it all on the forum, but still take there car to a shop to get work done).
It will not meant for daily driving, but I'd like it street legal.. I know it's gonna cost a purdy penny, and take a buttload of time.. But since I've been in the biz long enough, I know what to expect, and I know to expect the unexpected...

I really hope I'm not coming off as an arrogant a**hole, But I'm not some 18yo with a dream.. I've built a couple few different project cars, from 11 sec Fwd honda, to rb powered driftmachines.. I know I don't know it all, if I did I wouldn't be here.. I'm always open to constructive critism, but if your the one giving it, put yourself on the recievin end before you say it, if it hurts a little or makes you sound like an ass, you prolly be better off not saying it.. I am not open to being, persecuted, ridiculed or spoke down too, by anyone, especially someone I don't even know.. So with that said..
Hope everyone has a wonderful day..
Talk to yall lata
Jade
Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Sounds interesting. What transmission are you going to use?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
I don't think anyone was shooting down the idea of a TT EG33. Just they'd prefer the effort to be put in an TT in a SVX. Also I am still a little confused on why you want in an older Honda model? But this is your idea and I assume people will provide the information you seek if they have it them selfs.

As far as people already having a built SVX there is no one to my knowledge who has done a TT. Yes there is a few turbo's and superchargers. Not everyone can build an SVX it because very expensive as there is literally no real after market for an SVX. We have seen a few products like ECU Tune.

But if your dream is to but a TT EG33 in Honda to show up an STI owner go for it.. Wouldn't it be greater to see its Father car beat the crap out of them? Also I am assuming you want want in a Honda for weight and other stuff not looks right?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
Sounds interesting. What transmission are you going to use?
I think I may use a Version 4 jdm 4.11 wrx tranny with a ppg gear set, matched to the jdm 4.11 mech. LSD diff.

I'd like to use a new version 6sp, final drive 4.44 I think (may be wrong on FD), But I really don't wanna mess with the DCCD, I know you can just not wire it up.. But then it's kinda pointless..

If I use the version 4 drivetrain, that'll give me a wider range of brake and suspension goodie options.. And I will be able to utilize RS, WRX, and first gen STI suspension. Even upgrade the rear brakes from the SVX if I remember correct.

If I use a newer model, I will have to use new model hubs and all the other "newer, bigger" goodies, which easily triple the price of my other options..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I don't think anyone was shooting down the idea of a TT EG33. Just they'd prefer the effort to be put in an TT in a SVX. Also I am still a little confused on why you want in an older Honda model? But this is your idea and I assume people will provide the information you seek if they have it them selfs.

As far as people already having a built SVX there is no one to my knowledge who has done a TT. Yes there is a few turbo's and superchargers. Not everyone can build an SVX it because very expensive as there is literally no real after market for an SVX. We have seen a few products like ECU Tune.

But if your dream is to but a TT EG33 in Honda to show up an STI owner go for it.. Wouldn't it be greater to see its Father car beat the crap out of them? Also I am assuming you want want in a Honda for weight and other stuff not looks right?
I can completely understand that... And I don't mean to offend anyone by doing so.. I know I hate when people come to my 3rd gen accord forum and start talkin ish about the car..
And I know me coming here saying, "I wanna buy one of your cars, even tho theres not that many, and then I wanna rip it to peaces!", isnt a good thing for me to do. But, in my defense, it will be going towards a greater cause. It will be something that many people from many different forums will be able to appreciate when complete. It will give people new ideas and spark new creativety.
I am not dissing the SVX in anyway. Its just not my cup of tea. It is a gorgeous car, with great potential, however, IMHO it's kind of a pig, and I'm not a fan of the only option auto.. And the "luxury" aspect of the vehicle is not me..
As far as not havin After market support, trust me I understand!! I don't do civics.. They're a dime a dozen.. My 3rd gen accord has almost nil aftermarket support. When there is a part, not only are you payin an arm and a leg, you might as well send them your first born, if its a custom run.

I choose the accord for many reasons.. I had one way back in the day when I first started driving, back when I thought rice was cool .. But it's characteristics are great.
1. It is one of the most slept on hondas to this day.
2. It has a wide stance, with a low roof line and a naturally low center of gravity.
3. I LOVE flip up headlights!!
4. The square-ish, yet aerodynamic body is just beggin for fender-flares complimented by super deep dishes, yet would be pointless without being RWD or AWD..
5. And yes there is quite a benifit from the chasis weight. And placing a fuel cell in the right position we should be able to offset to get a good balance.
The H-6 is actually gonna sit back in the engine bay quite a bit..
Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
[hijack]^^ know anyone who wants to buy a 92 Acura Integra GS? I got one sitting in my backyard with a blow head gasket.[/hijack]
But I'd read the Mod mania forum here and consult the gurus. keep us informed on what you decide to do. Also If possible fine a SVX with a blow Transmissions ^^ as that wont be as missed as a road worthy one. Honestly check junkyards some might have a whole one that was in a wreck or something with engine and other components you want