Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2001, 10:13 PM
sith

dying transmission?

So, had the svx about 5 days now, time for something to go wrong...

Driving home tonight, I noticed that, while in second, when I got to about 2700 rpms (~27mph), the car would lurch forward a bit, revs would jump up a bit then settle back at about 2700. This wasn't under hard acceleration or anything. Took it up on the highway, and did similar things, I *think* at the 2-3 shift point, and it revved to about 4500 rpms before upshifting, without having the peddle floored or anything. Once I reached about 70mph, it seemed to shift ok and settle at 2500rpm while cruising.

Flooring the peddle at like 65, it hit power mode and down shifted just fine, then upshifted at the redline like it should.

Is my transmission dying?
Old 05-16-2001, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Unhappy Hmmm

Hmm.. Does it do this on the 3-4 shift? Mine started with the 3-4 shift slipping, and within a month 2-3 started slipping, leaving me with only 1st and 2nd gears.

I only noticed it under light throttle, but since the 3-4 shift takes place at about 124 MPH under full throttle I didn't get to check

However, I think most owners would tell you that the 2-3 shift is a little odd at times even on a normal SVX.

What year do you have again? I don't want to sound the panic horn, but if it is dying there isn't anything you can do, unfortunately.

Just in case you haven't, look and make sure you're not low on ATF.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-17-2001, 10:03 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sith, this scenario also signaled the beginning of the end of my first (Legacy) tranny, however, it didn't take long for the long "flare" to dissipate and turn into a full fledged, "Nope, I ain't goin' there" response.

If it were happening under load, I'd suggest cleaning the TPS. Might not help, but couldn't hurt.

The 2-3 does have a tendency to "hold on" longer than any other shift. As I described in another thread, my 1-2 is almost immediate and "thunky." The 2-3 is rather long (not the 4-5 seconds described by one member, maybe 2 seconds), while the 3-4 is "perfect."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-17-2001, 07:55 PM
sith

Well, its getting worse, now I've gotten it to flare about 2000 rpms before shifting, so, well, damn.

Taking it in on monday, hopefully it will get me to work tomorrow, beyond that I'll be ok.

The subaru mechanic at the dealer here drives an svx himself and has done svx tranny rebuilds before (including his own), so I think I'm in good hands. Its just kind of a downer after only having the car 5 days. On the plus side, the previous owner said she'll pay for it, she feels bad and is.. not lacking for cash, so at least it will be fixed.

I must say though, even with a failing transmission, its a really really great car.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<On the plus side, the previous owner said she'll pay for it, she feels bad and is.. not lacking for cash>>

Ask her if she wants to adopt a fat 45-year-old Kentucky Redneck! Man, you are a lucky duck. It is a good news/bad news type of thing though. Just don't let 'em keep it for 24 days!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-19-2001, 08:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Sith, this scenario also signaled the beginning of the end of my first (Legacy) tranny, however, it didn't take long for the long "flare" to dissipate and turn into a full fledged, "Nope, I ain't goin' there" response.

If it were happening under load, I'd suggest cleaning the TPS. Might not help, but couldn't hurt.

The 2-3 does have a tendency to "hold on" longer than any other shift. As I described in another thread, my 1-2 is almost immediate and "thunky." The 2-3 is rather long (not the 4-5 seconds described by one member, maybe 2 seconds), while the 3-4 is "perfect."
Man, the LONGEST my 2-3 shift takes is about 2 seconds (with no jump in revs) and I've been worried about it.

I'm thinking that I need to have someone with a new transmission drive my SVX and tell me if there's any difference. But your description of your new transmission makes me feel better about mine with 119k on it.

In other related news, I may be picking up a beater car so I can garage the SVX and not worry about this stuff. The car has given the previous owner and myself flawless service for nearly 120k miles. I think it's done its time.

The beater, providing it's drivable from Ft. Wayne, will be an '85 GL with about 250k miles on it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE