How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 AM
SVXless

Exclamation I have leaks.

Recently took the car in to have the brakes and rotors looked at and to get the car checked out for new tires, blah, blah, blah. And I come to find out (after seeing 4 mechanics swarmed under my car... bad sight) that I have both a cam seal and a crank seal leak. The car just rolled over 110k miles which is good considering its a 92. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some info as to how extensive a repair both of these are and what all would have to be done (i.e. pulling the motor, etc.) to get the car fully fixed. Any help from y'all would be greatly appreciated.

I must admit though... the local Subaru/Acura dealership that usually does the oil change is gonna get hell for not telling me about the leak as the car was in their shop less than a week before I found out.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
As long as you keep the oil level checked and don't mind the drips on the driveway or smoke, neither are a major problem.

Do you know any of the maintenance history of the car. Any idea when the timing belt or water pump were changed?

The crank and cam seals can be bought for under $15. To get to them you need to remove the timing belt so if you're unsure of it's history it makes sense to change that and the water pump while you're in there. Do a search, for a write up and parts list, but you should be able to get the seals, water pump, timing belt and pulleys for around $300.

For someone that's done it before, it can be done in about an hour. Someone with decent wrenching experience should be able to do there first one in an afternoon.

One other thing, this wouldn't be the first time that a shop over exaggerated a leak looking for an additional job. Do you trust this shop? Do you have to add any oil? For consistency, make sure that you have it parked level and wait for 10 minutes or more after the car is turned off.

Last edited by Hocrest; 01-14-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 AM
SVXless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
As long as you keep the oil level checked and don't mind the drips on the driveway or smoke, neither are a major problem.

Do you know any of the maintenance history of the car. Any idea when the timing belt or water pump were changed?

The crank and cam seals can be bought for under $15. To get to them you need to remove the timing belt so if you're unsure of it's history it makes sense to change that and the water pump while you're in there. Do a search, for a write up and parts list, but you should be able to get the seals, water pump, timing belt and pulleys for around $300.

For someone that's done it before, it can be done in about an hour. Someone with decent wrenching experience should be able to do there first one in an afternoon.

One other thing, this wouldn't be the first time that a shop over exaggerated a leak looking for an additional job. Do you trust this shop? Do you have to add any oil? For consistency, make sure that you have it parked level and wait for 10 minutes or more after the car is turned off.
You posed very good points. I've never experienced any problems. Yes, I trust the shop but I have never seen any oil drops on the street or driveway. I've also never had to add oil either. The car was owned by an older lady before me so apart from getting the oil changed on time and other small routine things there is nothing wrong. I was just wanted to make sure that the situation was something that could either be fixed or wasn't a great big deal.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
They could be seeing old oil from before the PO had the seals replaced????

I'd keep an eye on it and go from there...
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
SVXless

Okay! Thanks for your help. I just wanted to make sure everything was going to be okay. I didn't really think it was a problem because I'm not losing any/much oil at all.