Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

hey all new here

Hi everyone, (sorry for the run-on sentences, I'm thinking as I type) and this probably belongs in teh tech section but eh.

I work at a junkyard and I just saved a 92 SVX LS-L from becoming a shiny new spoon. It's black and has 145k miles on it. Its severly rusty and I will be using it for transportation for work aka daily beater. The car isn't really worth restoring because of the rust but its good enough of a car to keep from being junked. It has a few issues I am hoping to work out with some help from the SVX crowd.

I love all cars especially the odd balls, and my race car is a 92 Chevy Beretta GTZ with a 240hp high compression quad 4 motor. I also own a 91 Lexus LS400, and a bunch of other assorted gm junk from the 80s and 90s (if anyone is wants to know just ask and i'll list them) Anyways I have a lot to learn about my new car because its really a change from the cars im used to.

I have a couple problems I need to address before I can drive it. For the most part it runs and drives, BUT i test drove it when it was cold this morning and it really feels sluggish and not a car that has 230hp stock. the torque was there right off the bat then after a minute it was almost slower than a metro pushing a semi truck.

The first thing I noticed when I popped the hood was the radiator was patched together on the top tank with fiberglass resin or some other type of epoxy. There was a new alternator and the power steering made a little buzz. I read on here about the oring that goes bad and I suspect that is what is bad because there is ps fluid on the intake or whatever that is. I ordered the oring from my local suby dealer tonight.

There were about 10 empty bottles of power steering fluid and 2 bottles of coolant in the car. I checked the oil, it was clear, just a little brown (oil change sticker says change at 147k), tranny fluid looked ok not burnt but probably could be changed. the engine makes almost no noise cept for the ps pump, its probably the quiestest car I own. I just want it to be a powerful little rocket to drive to work everyday that might turn a head or two.

I used to be a mechanic so I am not afraid to get dirty on this thing. I am just not used to these weird opposed cylinders and japanese fuel injection/driveability (the lexus oddly enough only requires oil changes at 233k :P).

Thanks
Stephanie

Last edited by steph; 12-04-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: I put spaces in.. for easier reading.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Hater

i can't read that - it makes eyes hurt.

otherwise, welcome.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Welcome to the gang! The power steering O-ring fix is cheap, easy, and will solve a miriad of P/S problems. Be sure to check the How-To locker for a lot of good info.

As for the sluggish driving, I can't say a whole lot to that problem. I'm sure one of our SVX Uber-techs (the Toms) will chime in and help out.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

here are some pics, I know we all love pics on teh internet.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Looks a lot like mine. My doors are completely shot with rust, there's a 1"x1/4" hole in the pass door at the top of the plastic.

I think I see the coolant leak

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Rust, Schmust, POR-15 is your friend :-)

Although this car has 230 HP, they're 3500-3700 lbs, so they aren't a crotch rocket (But they'll give damn near anything with a naturally aspirated 4 banger a good view of the tail lights)

Lexus LS-400s are bad ass, I always thought it'd be cool to mate that engine to a Supra six speed and stuff it in like a 55 Chevy coupe or something (and watch the guys @ cars shows argue over what kind of motor it is)

and at the 240 HP quad 4!

Welcome to the board :-) And you don't have to apologize for ANYTHING, you are a female that doesn't mind getting greasy, works on cars, and saved an SVX from the crusher, so that means you are a hero/godsend to most of us on here!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I hope to god your not driving it like that... No radiator or fans, which means it has dumped all the coolant and tranny fluid onto the ground it if hasn't already, which means there's nothing going on to cool either of them.

Regardless, good luck, they're fun cars.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Does the CD player not work? What's with the walkman casette adapter?
Ghettooooooo.
Got about 15 different shades of grey in the interior. That's a paddlin'.

One thing to note, if you get it running (radiator) you might fall in love with it and want to restore it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph View Post
I also own a 91 Lexus LS400, and a bunch of other assorted gm junk from the 80s and 90s (if anyone is wants to know just ask and i'll list them)
I'm askin'.

Used to be a domestic die-hard till I drove a Subaru (2.5RS). Then all I could think about was turbo-charging that motor for some major power. But alas, when I tried to find one, they were crazy expensive. Tripped across the SVX for an amazing price, and the rest is history... Take it from me, to drive is to love. The SVX was just a great deal, but I've come to love it.

"Race Car Beretta" Good lord! I don't think I've ever heard those words uttered in the same sentence, and didn't think I ever would. I'll bet its fun though! And certainly obscure

I'd flush all the fluids if I were you, then see if the hesitation is still there. Odds are it's a sensor (TPS is what comes to mind given that it only happens when cold)... but as was stated earlier, one of the guru's will eventually come along and shed some light, I'm sure... Now where are "The Tom's" when you're looking for them?!?

I bet OT's getting acquainted with a bottle of Asti

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Not a bad lookin Junkyard Dog you got there steph.

Once you get the kinks ironed out you'll love it.

240HP Quad4? DO TELL!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM

I did the same thing with my 92 pearlie that I got a week or 2 ago.

The owner said if I didn't buy the car whis wife would have it taken to the scrap yard because "nobody would love it like she did".

cost so far is 800.00 for the car and under 100.00 for the new/used rear lateral arms it needed.

We lucked out.
Cheers to us!

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Does the CD player not work? What's with the walkman casette adapter?
Ghettooooooo.
that's how i used to play my iPod in teh svx until i replaced the headunit.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM

I took the rad out to get rebuilt, it looks like i'm just going to get a used one.

the CD player works great. the cassette thingy was for XM radio. It was full of cds and stuff.

I will post more later when I get off work.

later
steph
Old 12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Install a $50 tranny cooler
Replace tranny filter
Then swap tranny fluid
Replace radiator with a new stock one, or an expensive PWR
Then swap coolant

These sites will be your best friends:
www.1stsubaruparts.com
www.subaruparts.com
Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Old Guy

QUOTE: "...the lexus....only requires oil changes at 233k"

Come now! Are you saying the Lexus LS400 only requires oil changes every 233,000 miles, or 233,000 kilometers? That would equate to NO oil changes for the normal life of the car. Can any lubricant hold up to internal engine stresses/contaminants for such mileage? Maybe I misread your post.
Preston