How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX
Just bought my first SVX!

Hey there guys and gals, this is my first post here because as of last friday I am the proud owner of my very first SVX. I've always liked the cars, but never knew much about them. I would just see one every now and again and comment on how much I liked the styling. Well, I work at a Honda/Nissan dealership as a mechanic, and last week someone traded in an SVX. The sales department decided to wholesale it since they said there isn't a market for a car like that where I live, and it needs some work. So, I picked it up for $1200. It's a '95 L AWD with 155K miles. Has a really bad exhaust leak from the cat, so it sounds terrible, contributing to why the sales department decided to wholesale it. Other than that, the only thing I've found wrong so far is the cruise control doesn't work, a cv axle boot is ripped open, and it needs front brakes (big suprise right?). It needs some bodywork, but I'm good friends with the body guy my dealership goes through and he owes me some work, so he already said he'll take care of the stuff for me. So I think I got a pretty good deal. What do you all think?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Very nice! what are the body issues?

you have a wheel on backwards.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Will

Sounds like a good deal, aslong as the transmission isnt about to take a dump on you. I thought I got a good deal with mine till the tranny went out the first to weeks I drove it. But all else aside I love the damn car, expecially since no one knows what the hell it is. Also there are quit a few mods you can do that just improve the car. If your Transmission does go out might i suggest a 5 speed manual transmission swap. It takes some doing but its way better than the slush box autos.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Registered SVX
Arrow Congrats!

Congrats, and Welcome to the SVX Family where our home is your home. Sounds and looks like a good deal for $1200. When you do the brakes, I would highly recommend slotted and or dimpled rotors from raceconcepts, as well as SS brake lines and good brake pads. I recommend the Akebono ProAct ceramic pads. Also you will want to change your transmission fluid, drop the pan and remove the internal filter/screen and blow out the cooler lines, and add fresh Synthetic ATF. I would also recommend draining the front and rear differentials and also adding Synthetic gear oil, and of course fresh engine oil and filter. Good Luck, and dont be afraid to ask anything, thats what this community is here for, and one of the best around.

Dan
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Aren't they sweet cars?? Congrats!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Welcome to "the Club!"

For the cruise control, first check under the hood on the drivers side firewall for a disconnected vacuum line to the cruise diaphram.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks for all the tips. I bought the car on friday, and sunday headed down here to denver for a weeks worth of Honda training. I figured I might as well take her for a drive and see if she's road worthy. I'm just hoping she makes it and I don't get stranded down here! I changed the oil, diffs, and tranny fluid before I left. I'm a little unsure if the tranny will live much longer, as the fluid I took out of it was really black. What type of synthetic tranny fluid do you guys recommend? The 5sp swap sounds fun, but not until the auto dies. These are really fun cars though, I'm already enjoying it.

As far as the body work, the rear bumper was hit, no real damage to it other than needing to be repainted. The drivers door has some body filler on it that's falling out becuase it was put on waaayyy too thick. And there's one more dent on the passanger's rear quarter that shouldn't take much to work out. I need to run a carfax on it sometime and see if was ever reported in any accident, and I'd like to know how many owners it's had. I'll have to see if our sales department car run that for me when I get back.

The site is great guys, lots of info I've been taking in and you guys seem really welcoming and helpful. Thanks for having a great community!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Congratulations on teh killer deal you got and welcome to the joint!!!

Todd
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
1992 Pearlie original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar_head View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I bought the car on friday, and sunday headed down here to denver for a weeks worth of Honda training. I figured I might as well take her for a drive and see if she's road worthy. I'm just hoping she makes it and I don't get stranded down here! I changed the oil, diffs, and tranny fluid before I left. I'm a little unsure if the tranny will live much longer, as the fluid I took out of it was really black. What type of synthetic tranny fluid do you guys recommend? The 5sp swap sounds fun, but not until the auto dies. These are really fun cars though, I'm already enjoying it.

As far as the body work, the rear bumper was hit, no real damage to it other than needing to be repainted. The drivers door has some body filler on it that's falling out becuase it was put on waaayyy too thick. And there's one more dent on the passanger's rear quarter that shouldn't take much to work out. I need to run a carfax on it sometime and see if was ever reported in any accident, and I'd like to know how many owners it's had. I'll have to see if our sales department car run that for me when I get back.

The site is great guys, lots of info I've been taking in and you guys seem really welcoming and helpful. Thanks for having a great community!
Welcome to the "greatest" community of SVX lovers. Be sure to check out the SVX Calendar that is for sale on this site. It is really great, shows all different colors.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the car.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Welcome to the board! How long have you been in Laramie? I used to live there, September of 04 to March of 06 while I was at Wyotech, but my wife didn't want to live in Laramie so we moved back to Oregon. Replace the inline filter that's under the battery as well, they aren't that expensive. If the tranny shifts smoothly you should be okay, the 94+ cars weren't as bad for cooking the tranny as the older ones were. I've got a 92, but it's got a brand new factory rebuilt tranny in it! That's a good deal, you have any connections at Kotby for parts? I've put all OEM parts on mine.. Which exhaust gasket is blown? I have an OEM doughnut gasket for the cat inlet, I ordered the big one for the cat outlet and the parts guy ordered the wrong one, but I've got it if you need it :-) $25 shipped and it's yours! (It's like $35 from the dealership...)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Registered SVX
Hey that's cool, a fellow techer! I went to tech from January 04 to January 05. I got a job here after I graduated and have been here ever since. One of our old techs from my work is now a service writer at Kotbys, so he'll hook me up. I may take you up on that gasket, but I'm going to see if any of our honda ones in stock will work. I just got back from a week long trip to Denver with the SVX, and it did pretty well so I think the tranny's going to hold up alright.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
That's cool, what did you drive while you were @ tech? I had a white turbo GL with a black hood, although I usually drove my white-and-silver Dodge truck if the weather was nasty... I also had a very rusty orange and brown Ford (75), and a POS Honda Civic lol.. I lived in the trailer park right next to the McCue techer dorms..

That dude that owns Kotby is a stingy bastard, only dealership in town that didn't offer any sort of discount to students... Glad you like your SVX! That gasket is still here if ya need it... Let me know if you need any Polo Green parts, that are shippable, as there's one in the junkyard here, I'll be goin on Wednesday.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM

Registered SVX
When I was at tech I had either my grey 87 Dodge Dakota, or my white and black 84 Mustang. Yeah the owners of Kotbys are not all that well liked in town. I haven't had to deal with them, but everyone at my dealership hates them.Thanks for the offer on the gasket, but I ended up finding some free Honda parts that worked. The only thing I can think of I need right now is a driver's master window switch. Those are kind of hard to come by though, and usually go for $60-$80 on ebay. If they do happen to have one for cheaper than that, it would be cool if you could pick it up for me and I can paypal you the money.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600