Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Any lawyers on the Board?

Dont know whether to call the company or get a lawyer first.
Was digging into a bag of Halloween candybars and when I was on the 5th one I discovered a piece of metal. Looks like the end off a rivet possibly. Luckily it didnt damage a tooth and I can only imagine what it might have done to my innards if I had swallowed it. Not to mention if a child had swallowed something like this.
I hate people who file frivolous lawsuits, the ones that dont take responsibility for spilling hot coffee in their crotches and sue the resturaunts. And I know I will be put thru the grinder by the company lawyers trying to prove I put the metal in there.
So I'm in a quandry as to what I should do here?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Certified Porschephile

We once found a rusty screw in a box of cereal. Just called the company and they thanked us and sent a free coupon. I didn't think it was anything then a machine malfunction. No big deal.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Would you have thought or acted different if you had found it in your mouth?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Cool nobody's perfect

not even porsche owners. it was probably some disgruntled employee getting deported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Was digging into a bag of Halloween candybars and when I was on the 5th one I discovered a piece of metal. Looks like the end off a rivet possibly. Luckily it didnt damage a tooth and I can only imagine what it might have done to my innards if I had swallowed it. Not to mention if a child had swallowed something like this.
I hate people who file frivolous lawsuits, the ones that dont take responsibility for spilling hot coffee in their crotches and sue the resturaunts. And I know I will be put thru the grinder by the company lawyers trying to prove I put the metal in there.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Certified Porschephile

Maybe, but part of any lawsuit is to show malice on their part, or outright negligence. It's an uphill battle, and I don't want or need the hassle to hope for out of court settlement down the road.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Maybe, but part of any lawsuit is to show malice on their part, or outright negligence. It's an uphill battle, and I don't want or need the hassle to hope for out of court settlement down the road.
We had cans of Rago (Sp) tomato sauce or whatever and 5 out of 6 cans had maggots in them eating away at stuff in it. We called the company and basically they didn't care kept transferring us around and around. Just got so annoyed we went to the store who sold it to us and they promptly took the cans off the shelf.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
We had cans of Rago (Sp) tomato sauce or whatever and 5 out of 6 cans had maggots in them eating away at stuff in it. We called the company and basically they didn't care kept transferring us around and around. Just got so annoyed we went to the store who sold it to us and they promptly took the cans off the shelf.
Ew that is sick.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post

i'll refer you to my lawyers: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I would contact the store or company and let them know what happened. I would not bother with an attorney. Would I have done something different if I had that in my mouth. Maybe, but I didn't, so I would not go to that trouble.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Since no harm was done, contact the company first. If they are unsympathetic, then take it further. There could be other problems with the same batch of candy, and I'm sure they wouldn't want something happening to a Trick or Treater.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo View Post
Since no harm was done, contact the company first. If they are unsympathetic, then take it further. There could be other problems with the same batch of candy, and I'm sure they wouldn't want something happening to a Trick or Treater.
Pretty much what I was thinking also.

Earl, I can bring the evidence with me this Sat and you can experience it as much as you want

JK
Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I made Kraft Dinner once and was starving as ****. Downed an entire bowl before anyone else started eating. Then one of my younger brothers looks down at his bowl and discovers it's full of little maggots. They looked at my bowl and up at me in shock and I just got up and went "Mmm lots of extra protein! Eat up, guys!" Was quite disgusting I suppose but ya. Tasted normal lol.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 AM

I agree with the contact-the-company angle. Food manufacturers and retailers deal with these sort of claims all the time, and a good number of them are surely found to be the result of consumer tampering. (Remember the woman who "found" a fingertip in her Wendy's chili?) It's your word against theirs. You'll probably receive a letter of apology, a refund, and some coupons for your trouble.

Had you swallowed the offending object and incurred medical bills as a direct result, then it would be worth your while to have an attorney attempt to cover damages.

dcb
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM

I'd talk to the company first. Make sure no one gets hurt by alerting them to the problem.

Slightly off topic...
I believe in the US you can sue and you don't pay the lawyer? The person you're suing pays them, or something along those lines? I was watching a documentary a few years ago, and it said the US is the only (??) country with this law, which is why there are so many lawsuits in the States. I'd always wondered how burglars would and could sue the person they burgled if they got hurt "on the job" ...
Here in Canada, in most provinces, you pay your lawyer up front, so you have to be pretty sure you're going to win, or have deep pockets and commitment to the cause, if you sue.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
I'd talk to the company first. Make sure no one gets hurt by alerting them to the problem.

Slightly off topic...
I believe in the US you can sue and you don't pay the lawyer? The person you're suing pays them, or something along those lines? I was watching a documentary a few years ago, and it said the US is the only (??) country with this law, which is why there are so many lawsuits in the States. I'd always wondered how burglars would and could sue the person they burgled if they got hurt "on the job" ...
Here in Canada, in most provinces, you pay your lawyer up front, so you have to be pretty sure you're going to win, or have deep pockets and commitment to the cause, if you sue.
Most lawyers work on a contigency. Meaning they get paid when the case is over. BUT, if you loose, YOU pay. And you also pay the other persons legal fees.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: