Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Buying an SVX, but weird "thunking" sound... (Diff?)

After lurking for a month it's time to post something. D:

I've always loved SVX's! I joined this forum even though I don't actually have one... Yet! I'm only 15 right now, but I just finished getting my permit, and I have money saved up so that I could buy a car!

Naturally, I tried to find an SVX, and after some searching I did. It's one that's been in my neighborhood for as long as I can remember, my teacher drove it! I first saw it in elementary school in the parking lot, and that's when I started liking them. I got in contact with her again, and she said he'd be willing to part with it for $2,200. It's a 1992 LS-L that's he's had since he bought it new; It has 96,000 miles.

I jumped on the offer, but she said she hadn't been driving it recently because it had developed a weird "thunking" that came from the rear-ward of the car. She took me for a ride and let me drive, I'll try to explain the noise as best I can:

It only happens when you very first begin to take off from a stop, it emits a audible "thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk thunk" each accompanied by a little shudder, all from the rear of the car. After you get going to about 6-7MPH it stops and smooths out. It also on occasion does the thunk noise when coming to a stop, but I couldn't get it to happen often enough to get an accurate MPH that it happens at, I'd guess 5MPH or under.

Otherwise, the car is in very good shape! She has the receipts for the oil changes all the way back to 1994, the interior is very good, and even the paint doesn't have any damage yet. But the thunking has got me worried...

Does anyone have any idea what it may be, or how much it may cost to fix? It's hard to me to come up with money forvery quickly, as I can only work with a work permit at my current age. If she had more time, I would save up whatever it costs! But she said if I don't want the car, she already has another interested buyer for it, who's offering her 4,900 with the problem.

But she's giving me a chance first since I was one of her students in elementary school, and I think that we're good friends! So any quick help is appreciated!

Last edited by Anubis; 10-02-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Did you check to see if any of the exhaust pipes are hitting the underside or rattling from the cats?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Did you check to see if any of the exhaust pipes are hitting the underside or rattling from the cats?
I shook the muffler and pipes as far as I could reach when I first looked at the car, as a friend told me it's a good way to see if any of the hangers are missing or bent. It feels very firm, I don't think that could be it, but I'll check again tomorrow.

It's not so much of a metallic noise, as it it just a loud thump. It really almost feel like someone getting a bad start in a manual transmission car, where it shudders and then gets moving.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmmm.....Could it be something driveshaft related? mabey a bad u-joint or something? Backlash perhaps?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Hmmm.....Could it be something driveshaft related? mabey a bad u-joint or something? Backlash perhaps?
That sounds like it would be likely! Though, I'm not sure how I could go about checking something like that~
Old 10-03-2007, 05:15 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Put in the FWD fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and that should de-activate the AWD and power to the rear.(only the front wheels should have power now). See if the noise in the rear goes away then.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
The only "thunks" I have heard come from an SVX was when I drove one with some teeth chipped off the ring and pinion in the differential and when my transmission mount was bad on my 92 it would clunk when I put the car in gear. You can check the transmission mount by getting under the car and pushing up on the transmission. If you can easily push it up a few inches then the mount is bad.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Just fixed this problem not a month ago on mine.... though mine was from the front end.

Its you CV joint/halfshaft. Narrow down the side, put the car up in the air, pull the tire, and I am willing to bet alot of marbles if you look at the CV boot it will be torn or open somewhere, causing all of the grease to leak out (it's supposed to be packed with it). This causes a lack of proper lubrication and thunking. Mine did it up front only when I turned it to one side, and thats how I narrowed down the side it was coming from. In your case, I'd put the whole rear axel up and check em both

Craig

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Buying an SVX, but weird "thunking" sound... (Diff?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Just fixed this problem not a month ago on mine.... though mine was from the front end.

Its you CV joint/halfshaft. Narrow down the side, put the car up in the air, pull the tire, and I am willing to bet alot of marbles if you look at the CV boot it will be torn or open somewhere, causing all of the grease to leak out (it's supposed to be packed with it). This causes a lack of proper lubrication and thunking. Mine did it up front only when I turned it to one side, and thats how I narrowed down the side it was coming from. In your case, I'd put the whole rear axel up and check em both

Craig
Bringing this back from the dead. I believe my RR half shaft is going bad and making the same sounds as the op, went underneath the car and started to grab and shake things around and noticed the noise when I moved the half shaft.

So my rear bearings are going out and I need to replace them so I might as well do the axles also. My question is, I have a 4.44 xmsn from an Outback, do I need axles from an Outback or an SVX?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
she already has another interested buyer for it, who's offering her 4,900 with the problem.
i call BS on that
basically i've been looking around for SVX's in the bay area for a year now and even in here, which cars are over-priced, an SVX won't go for 4900...i've seen superclean and slightly tuned ones go for 5k

now i don't know much about the noise but i'm sure you can wait a few months to find a better one...trust me i've been there, it's worth it
(i bought mine at 17, with my own money, and i'm so lucky that i didn't buy the first one i found, but i strongly recommend getting a 300zx or 240sx...your choice though)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The thread is from 2007- I'm sure he's waited a few months already
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
but i strongly recommend getting a 300zx or 240sx...your choice though)
You recommend a 15 year old to get those cars?

I recommend you go jump off a bridge without a parachute/bungee cords.

That sounds aboot right, eh?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
You recommend a 15 year old to get those cars?

I recommend you go jump off a bridge without a parachute/bungee cords.

That sounds aboot right, eh?
when i was buying my SVX many people, both in this forum and from family, said the same thing and here's what i responded: NOT ALL TEENAGERS ARE DUMB
if you are one of those crazy ones, you can crash driving mom's minivan so stop already...
and what's with the Canadian accent?!?!
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoval View Post
Bringing this back from the dead. I believe my RR half shaft is going bad and making the same sounds as the op, went underneath the car and started to grab and shake things around and noticed the noise when I moved the half shaft.

So my rear bearings are going out and I need to replace them so I might as well do the axles also. My question is, I have a 4.44 xmsn from an Outback, do I need axles from an Outback or an SVX?
If it was done PROPERLY, normal SVX rear axles will be in order. If not, then you need outback/legacy rear axles.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
If it was done PROPERLY, normal SVX rear axles will be in order. If not, then you need outback/legacy rear axles.
Thanks Nate, I think it was done properly as it was Geoff old car. But how would I make sure?