Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
is this the same as the 15/15 mod or is this something different?
No, this is the twenty minute (underestimated) $20.00 mod that stiffens the rear anti-sway bar even more!
If you allready have the fifteen minute, $15.00 mod AND polyurothane
anti-sway bar bushings then you WILL notice a differance with this easy to install (reasonably priced) mod.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
In that case, spill the beans! And tell me where to buy the pieces... I'm assuming I could send you money...

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 08-31-2007, 08:48 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777
In that case, spill the beans! And tell me where to buy the pieces... I'm assuming I could send you money...
Yes YOU can always send us money!
And its usually worth it!
Question, I see that you have "Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, (soon to come) PolyUrethane rear sway bar bushings. "
Do you have either the fifteen minute mod, or earthworms rear differential mounts?
If so, then you would feel a quicker "turn in" with the twenty minute, $20.00 mod.
If you still had/have the original factory soft bushings, and mounts, you will probably not notice the difference.
Because the factory system was designed to cushion, and isolate the driver from the road.
These rebuildable, replacement upgraded bushings have less than half the flex of the stock bushings, thicker, stronger mounting bolts, and self locking nuts.
You only need an electric drill with a 3/8" drill bit, a 5/16" allen wrench, a pair of 12mm wrenches, and a 9/16" or 14mm wrench for the job.
The bushings, bolts, nuts are all included.
More later,
Tom

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 03-01-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I have the bushings for the rear, I just haven't installed em yet. And I do plan on doing the $15/15min mod, I just have to find the pieces, as the local autozone does not have them. Plus, I was waiting to hear about the hockey puck idea for a bit, but that ended up getting shot down. I've PM'ed Earthworm (he hasn't responded) in terms of getting the Diff mounts, but they will not be installed until the tranny swap is done (spring next year probably), I'm just starting to collect pieces...

So I do think its a worth while thing to do, yes. Especially if it really DOES only cost me $20, though you're so keen on me sending you money, you might charge me extra...

I've got all the tools, don't worry. I've got a garage full of more tools than I'll probably ever use. I even have a lift! Haha. Unfortunately the '59 Vette is up on it right now, so I can't use it. Not that I need it.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777
1)I have the bushings for the rear, I just haven't installed em yet.
2)And I do plan on doing the $15/15min mod, I just have to find the pieces, as the local autozone does not have them.
3)Plus, I was waiting to hear about the hockey puck idea for a bit, but that ended up getting shot down.
4)I've PM'ed Earthworm (he hasn't responded) in terms of getting the Diff mounts, but they will not be installed until the tranny swap is done (spring next year probably), I'm just starting to collect pieces...

5)So I do think its a worth while thing to do, yes.
6)Especially if it really DOES only cost me $20, though you're so keen on me sending you money, you might charge me extra...

7)I've got all the tools, don't worry.
8)I've got a garage full of more tools than I'll probably ever use.
9)I even have a lift! Haha.
10) Unfortunately the '59 Vette is up on it right now, so I can't use it.
Not that I need it.
1) It takes about 1/2 hour, and it will quicker your steering response, and help limit lean in a turn.
2) I can send them to you. Or, at Advance Auto Parts its part# 31000 in the help section.
3) I specifically wanted an aproximately 80-90 durometer rubber for this mod, so that it did not squeek or crack in the cold.
4) earthworms diff mounts will almost eliminate the need for the Fifteen minute/$15.00 mod, but for the price, both could not hurt.
5) You know, for the price of four good fast food burgers, (somehow that statement is just wrong! ) you can improve your handeling.
6) For YOU I'll include shipping.
7) Its my job as a father to worry.
8) I need more tools, a frame machine, a tire ballancer, a tire machine, an allignment rack, maybe a paper towel holder...
9) Good for you! If I did not have a rack working more than Young Tom would be hard on my back!
10) If the 59 Vette is a problem, then maybe I could just GIVE you the bushings, and mounts, installed mind you and say,

Crap! you would never go for it!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Haha. Tom you are too funny. Not only would I not go for giving you the Vette, but it's not mine to give away... A little snag, yes.

That's all good news. Maybe I can get the plates for the $15/15min mod shipped with this fabled $20/20min mod? Let me know on a timeframe and a paypal total.

Oh and the other bushings will get installed, don't worry. Possibly tomorrow, depending on if our meet gets pushed back. Speaking of which, you interested in a mini-meet tomorrow?? Check the Northeast section of the forum, we're goin' to the seacoast...

Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Haha. Tom you are too funny. Not only would I not go for giving you the Vette, but it's not mine to give away... A little snag, yes.

That's all good news. Maybe I can get the plates for the $15/15min mod shipped with this fabled $20/20min mod? Let me know on a timeframe and a paypal total.

Oh and the other bushings will get installed, don't worry. Possibly tomorrow, depending on if our meet gets pushed back. Speaking of which, you interested in a mini-meet tomorrow?? Check the Northeast section of the forum, we're goin' to the seacoast...
Craig, I sent out the Fifteen Minute Mod spacers, and the Twenty Minute $20.00 Mod today USPS, First Class.
So you should get it by Friday.
More later,
Tom

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
There's a storm coming.

Twenty Minute, $20.00 Mod.

I found a way to make the stock SVX rear anti-sway bar more responsive.
And by making the rear anti-sway bar effectively firmer, the SVX "turns in" better.
What you do is replace the bar end bushings with ones that I have made up.
The $20.00 covers two self lubricating bronze bushings, two grade 5 allen head 3/8" X 2" bolts, two self locking nuts, two rubber sleeves, packaging and mailing/shipping, in the lower 48.
When I first tried this mod on my polyurethane bushing, Koni, 15 min mod , special spring and spacer equipped Claret, I was very surprised at the difference.
Unless you have the poly bushings, don't bother, get them first!

Here is what you do.

Safely lift the rear of your SVX and install jackstands.
As always, SAFETY FIRST!

With two 12mm wrenches, remove the bolts that attach the rear anti-sway bar to the anti-sway bar links.

Pivot the bar down out of the way.

Grab the links, one at a time with Vice Grips, and with an electric or air drill, enlarge the existing holes to 3/8".

Pry the old black rubber bushings out of the ends of the anti-sway bar.
A 1/4" thick phillips screwdriver works well.

Wet the bushings with water and push them into place.

It seems to work best if you install the rubber bushing first, and then push in the bronze bushing.

Now swing the anti-sway bar into place, and push the allen head bolts into the links with the self locking nuts on the outside of the car.

Torque/tighten the bolts to 35 foot/pounds.

That's it.
Now go drive carefully and enjoy the greater control, and improved response!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 09-10-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
tom... great writeup... Maybe next time I am down that way we can slap some on my ride

Tom
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
tom... great writeup... Maybe next time I am down that way we can slap some on my ride

Tom
Great idea YT, maybe after Jerry spanks you at the Subaru Challange with MY car we can install them at the picnic!

Of course if YOU install them its a 6 minute $20.00 mod!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 09-10-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...this one's goin on the wishlist. Saw the install done at the meet..It is pretty painless. Though,admitedly, I need a haircut...so I can go job hunting....so this might be a few weeks off
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 PM

We'll see how it goes when I get mine in. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up, as thats the main thing lacking in the write up.

I'm doing my rear stab. bushings at the same time. Hopefully they'll get here in time for the weekend and I'll get some good weather, maybe get it all done on friday.

Updates to come,
Craig

Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
OT - to get both kits shipped ground how much do we need to send you in paypal dollars?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
OT - to get both kits shipped ground how much do we need to send you in paypal dollars?
If you mean the $15.00 mod and the $20.00 mod, then $35.00 will do.
You can buy the $15.00 mod from Advanced Auto Parts (part #31000) for about $14.62 for the two parts.
The $20.00 mod is a combination of grade 5 bolts, self locking nuts, self lubricating bushings and easily replaceably rubber bushings, (that don't actually cost me $20.00,) But they DO give a nice response in the handeling, well worth the money!
Tom

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Grab the links, one at a time with Vice Grips, and with an electric or air drill, enlarge the existing holes to 3/8".

Drilling freaks me out...

Is that something I could potentially screw up?
2012 Camry V6 SE