How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Drivers side automatic seat belt acting up.

This promblem just started out of no where two days ago. I opened the door to get out and the seat belt just sat there for at least a minute before finally deciding to slide forward. I checked the passenger side and it is working just fine. I was thinking the motor might be going out on the drivers side so I'm planning on just throwing in another motor/track assembly. I just figured I'd post on here first and see if someone else had had this problem and how they fixed it? Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 AM

Automatic seat belt problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subru92svx
This problem just started out of no where two days ago. I opened the door to get out and the seat belt just sat there for at least a minute before finally deciding to slide forward. I checked the passenger side and it is working just fine. I was thinking the motor might be going out on the drivers side so I'm planning on just throwing in another motor/track assembly. I just figured I'd post on here first and see if someone else had had this problem and how they fixed it? Thanks
Actually there is nothing wrong with the way the seatbelt is working! It is designed to work like that! We all know that these cars were way ahead of their time in and this is a great example!! It sensed either your tiredness and know you wern't able to quickly get out of the car seat or realized you were getting older and compensated for that! Have you had a birthday lately? That could be what is happening.
Or one other thing... Maybe the goofey thing isn'y working right just like mine is doing now and I have no clue how to fix it. Maybe someone can help us both??
Keith
Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 AM

Hey Keith, I'm only 22 so I doubt its the fact that I'm getting old lol . It just started the other day when I drove to the bank tried to get out and had to sit there and wait for it to finally slide forward. I tried giggling it and etc. Nothing seemed to make it slide forward any faster. My pasenger side works fine so I doubt its the computer that controls them. I think the drivers side motor has just worn out. What exactly are your seat belts doing?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
My guess is the plunger in the door which detects that the door has opened is sticking. I've had that happen to me before, where you open the door, and then it takes a second before popping out. I would try lubricating and cleaning that up and see if it doesn't fix the problem. Also you can just look at it when the door opens to see if it pops out a second later.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Jiggling it had no effect? That's... odd. Can't help you then, sorry...

(why are there so many different problems with the auto belts?)
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
The switch to tell the computer to move the belts is in the door latch mechanism, not a plunger switch in the frame.

When you open the door, does the overhead light come on right away? Or does it wait and then come on when the seat belt moves? j

That track is a pain to get to, almost all of the trim on that side of the car has to come off, along with the back seat

I have a track and motor if you need, send me a PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Hmm, no plunger, guess that idea's out.

Not to thread hijack, but the svx has overhead lights??? Both of mine only have floor lights, no dome light. I thought that was just how the car was...
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
There's no dome light there? Or it doesn't come on? It uses switches in the sunroof control panel. "Room" turns it on/off while the doors are shut, "Door" controls whether it comes on when the doors open.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM

This sounds like the common relay problem. There are several threads about it. If you open the door while the car is still running, what happens? It will probably work fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb
This sounds like the common relay problem. There are several threads about it. If you open the door while the car is still running, what happens? It will probably work fine.
This whats happening to my car right now, as long as the cars on the seat belt works fine but with it shutoff i get nothing from the drivers side belt.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 PM

seat belts

Quote:
Hey Keith, I'm only 22 so I doubt its the fact that I'm getting old lol . It just started the other day when I drove to the bank tried to get out and had to sit there and wait for it to finally slide forward. I tried giggling it and etc. Nothing seemed to make it slide forward any faster. My pasenger side works fine so I doubt its the computer that controls them. I think the drivers side motor has just worn out. What exactly are your seat belts doing?
Mi drivers side wont go into the correct position when I start the car
I seriously doubt that your motor is bad. I think there actually is a computer that controls the seat belts. We will get to the bottom of your problem. You got me going on it now!
Take care
Keith
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM

no overhead lites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
Hmm, no plunger, guess that idea's out.

Not to thread hijack, but the svx has overhead lights??? Both of mine only have floor lights, no dome light. I thought that was just how the car was...
You must have the SVX sith the sun roof Those models do not have or need lights in the roof!
Kidding again!! can't imagine no top lites? Did you take a good look??
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM

I just went out and checked and yes the dome light comes on as soon as the door is opened. I didn't try the seatbelts with the car running yet, but I did check it with the key in accessory position and drivers seat belt works fine again. I opened and closed the door about 10 times and it worked perfectly. I will try it again with the car actually running later when I run to the store and let you guys know what it does. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
I just went out and checked and yes the dome light comes on as soon as the door is opened. I didn't try the seatbelts with the car running yet, but I did check it with the key in accessory position and drivers seat belt works fine again. I opened and closed the door about 10 times and it worked perfectly. I will try it again with the car actually running later when I run to the store and let you guys know what it does. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Sounds like the dreaded "seatbelt works with ignition on but not with ignition off" problem... I believe that was caused by a relay in the computer going bad. So you could replace the computer, or rig one of your window switches to control the seatbelt...
Old 07-24-2007, 04:24 AM

No need to try it with the engine on. Having the key on was really all you needed to do. Search this forum for "seat belt" and you'll find a huge thread all about this problem. It is a relay and there a number of fixes described in the thread.