Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Alternator wire modification question

Hello- I have done the alternator wire mod from the How To Documents, works great with the John Deere HIR 9011 bulbs. I have an aftermarket stereo with Sirius Sat. Radio and amplifier in my 92 LS Pearl. My dilemma is, now that the weather is warm here in Boise, ID, when running the AC I get the whine associated with poor grounding through my stereo. Stereo installation was completed by a reputable shop in town. The amp is grounded to the chassis in the trunk, and the alternator mod was done exactly as shown in the write-up, with nice audio 4 gauge wire and great connectors. Everything is quite snug. Can I get away without the 2nd wire in the write-up, the AC compressor bolt to the negative on the battery? I'm thinking this may remove the whine. Thought I'd ask before possibly damaging the alternator. Or should I move the 3rd wire, the additional ground, to another place on the chassis? Or replace the factory ground with better gauge wire? Thanks for any advice. BIRD

P.S. I thoroughly enjoy the information provided on the website, it has enabled me to maintain and enhance a very nice automobile.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Phil & Belha

Maybe the alternator mod is causing the problem. Why don't you just try removing it completely and cleaning up the connections on the stock wiring?

It has been suggested, that if your charging system is working properly then you don't need the alternator mod - and if it isn't then you should fix it rather than trying to mod around the problem. Do a search for the many posts that Trevor has made on this subject.

I tried the mod a long time ago when it was first suggested and could find no measurable benefit, so I removed it.

I have that whine when running an mp3 player off the cigarette lighter in my Legacy. I didn't know that it was caused by poor grounding. I thought it was produced by a periodic fluctuation in the voltage produced by the alternator.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 05-15-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
your alternator could be going bad (?)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX
Bird,

Please read the data in my locker regarding the alternator mod.

Grounding in respect of audio components can produce ground/earth loops. (Do a on this.) If your original connections are not 100%, the extra ground wires could be producing/increasing this problem, but I have not investigated this possibility.

Slightly suspect rotary contact within an alternator, will produce noise on line. Electronic outlets will supply you with a capacitor to instal at the main outlet terminal on your alternator, as a means of noise suppression.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Bird,

Please read the data in my locker regarding the alternator mod.

Grounding in respect of audio components can produce ground/earth loops. (Do a on this.) If your original connections are not 100%, the extra ground wires could be producing/increasing this problem, but I have not investigated this possibility.

Slightly suspect rotary contact within an alternator, will produce noise on line. Electronic outlets will supply you with a capacitor to instal at the main outlet terminal on your alternator, as a means of noise suppression.
Trevor,
Do you know of any Internet-based sources for the capacitor? My local RadioShack is a bit "dim" on the topic.
Thanks.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Find a small shop that does auto stereo and alarm installs.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Trevor,
Do you know of any Internet-based sources for the capacitor? My local RadioShack is a bit "dim" on the topic.
Thanks.
-Bill
Bill,
I got once got one from the largest producer of automotive crap - JCWhitney - and it worked great. This one was just spliced inline at the power line to the radio - not at the alternator. Worked great and is still in the wagon 15 years later. Probably too small to plumb in front of an amplifier, but worked fine on the radio.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 AM

Registered SVX
The sort of animal described by Bill, comprises a coaxial capacitor and sometimes a choke and will certainly do the job. But it should be fitted in line, close to the audio/radio unit, which mean difficulties of access.

The capacitor I had in mind, is connected close to, and in parallel with the offending appliance, so that it is simple to fit. Cutting wiring is not required. This would be your first option and the most economical. If it does not do the job, go for an inline noise suppressor, as mentioned by Bill.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the alternator mod and it is better, less of a whine through the radio, but I have not had the chance to do anything further. I intend to look into the capacitor. BIRD
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRD
Thanks for the feedback. I removed the alternator mod and it is better, less of a whine through the radio, but I have not had the chance to do anything further. I intend to look into the capacitor. BIRD
I sincerely hope that others will take note of your experiences.