SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
There are two prices for everything.

What you buy it for and what you sell it for.

Does that equate into value? Perceived value?

The only thing that will cause the price of the SVX to go up is more interest in it.

Can you get a buying collector interested in a nice car that was a commercial flop? Possibly. It has happened, but rarely. Avanti from Studebaker is a good example of a low production, nice car which failed commercially and has relatively low value, yet has a fanatical all be it small following.

I think there is a parallel.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Lover of Alcyones

Perceived value, awesome

My AZ showed the original purchase value. 34,500 in 95. Now 07 and i paid 4,000 for it... You may still be paying payments if you bought one brand new

But i still love it, i'm willing to put the extra TLC into my cars, because i love having an uncommon car

Had:
91 xt auto awd(lt blue)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(blue/white)
86 xt 2wd turbo 5sp(black)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(silver/white)
89 xt AWD 5sp (white)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5 sp sold to Zukiru (silver)
86 xt turbo 2wd 5sp (silver/black)
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
There are two prices for everything.

What you buy it for and what you sell it for.

Does that equate into value? Perceived value?

The only thing that will cause the price of the SVX to go up is more interest in it.

Can you get a buying collector interested in a nice car that was a commercial flop? Possibly. It has happened, but rarely. Avanti from Studebaker is a good example of a low production, nice car which failed commercially and has relatively low value, yet has a fanatical all be it small following.

I think there is a parallel.
There must be a parallel, because I love Avanti's too. I am one of those people that loves to have something out of the ordinary. No matter what the resale value of my SVX, it was worth it to me.

I don't think that you can buy any car, drive it regularly, and not lose money on the resale. If you want to make money on it you need to buy it, park it, and in twenty to thirty years, maybe it will be worth something. If you took that money and put it into a savings account with modest interest, it would most likely be worth more than the car in thirty years. I say drive 'em and enjoy 'em.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Old Guy

There's a saying among car collectors: "You never pay too much, you only buy too soon."
Preston
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
I just bought one, here is why...

A close friend of mine used to sell these things brand new back in the day. He loved them and when he started his own used car dealership, bought and sold around 4 of them.

Around 1997 we took one to the Detroit Auto show from Dayton Ohio. I got to drive the car on the way up. I fell in love with the SVX. I just liked everything about it. I said to myself......"some day"....!!!

I also just recently sold a Sunbeam Tiger II which I had had for 22 years. I paid $3200 for it which by some, was $400 to high, but it WAS a nice car. Over the years I put around another $800 in for this and that. I also had bought my son a TR6 to drive in high school. We had a few 240Z along the way also.

I really did like that TR6...came into a little (I did say little) money and bought myself another TR6 to speculate and enjoy. Now the more I found out about this 6, the more it became a keeper. If I could just figure out how to make it fast, I would like it better than the Tiger. The Tiger handled like a pig, and the 6 was great and I was into autocrossing bigtime at that time in my life.

I found this guy in Landcaster Pa who could make them fly....long story short the 6 became a 14.2 car and I sold the Tiger a few years ago after having both of them at the same time for about 8 of those years. Sold the Tiger for $22,500. Now that same car is worth around $50k six years later. My TR6 three years ago I turned down $18000 twice.

Bottom line....I still like the TR6 better. I made it what I wanted in a sportscar and I am happy. Would never again own a Tiger at todays inflated prices even if I could afford the $50k. I know what the car is NOT!!! For $50 k I could buy my buddy's (same guy that had the SVXs) Viper GTS Coupe. Now THAT is a NICE car worth $50k. These guys paying $200k for Camaros and Mopars are NUTS!! You could buy a nice Ford GT for $160K and have a modern car that is REALLY fast. A Z06 used is a good bargain, also a used Z3 coupe or even BMW M3....might need supercharged though.

I digress however....the SVX. We were looking for another Acura Integra and it looked like I was going to have to pay $6 or $7k for a nice one. Then I thought.....I wonder what SVXs are going for. I lucked onto a 93 AEdition (77k miles) for $3800 in Indiana. Took my buddy with me (remember him, he had had 4 of them) for advise. He almost bought it out from under me, while I was dickering for another $200 off. Their asking price was $6000 but had had it for 9 months and wanted rid of it....took a loss (a dealership).

We both fell in love with it all over again. 10 years later and we both still thought this car was NICE. It has become my favorite driver....now I am used to getting looks with my TR6 and even the 300Ztwin turbo. (425hp 12.6 quarter) This thing gets me all of the same attention as those. At $3800 I can afford another tranny in the future. I think it is a bargain at twice the price and probably what it is really worth.

My son just bought a BMW 540i Sport 6-speed for $15k, my brother in law a BMW convertible for $28 grand. Another buddy a Porsche Boxster S for $28k. Take all of them to the local cruise....I guarantee you the one that will get the most looks will be the SVX!! Also on the road. Now two of those ARE faster...who cares!!! I have fast cars already. I truely love the drive the SVX offers and its features....love the looks and so do most others by the way it gets attention. I will not see myself coming and going....somebody that has a bigger checkbook than I and willing to put it in the engine, wheels etc.

I have a rare car I love and that is why I bought it! The guy who just paid $11k for his 27k mile SVX must have thought so too...how about the guy he outbid? These guys have a lot of choices at that kind of money...and I dare say they are savy car guys (or at least the one that got it is).

I think the nice ones are going to go up. Too good a bargain for what you get. Are they going to reach $25k some day.....I think not. Then again I never thought the Tiger would get there either. I still don't think they are worth that kind of money for what you can get for $25k otherwise....like I would have my eye on a Z3 coupe instead let alone $50k.

I think $6k to $11k for the SVX and proper inflation each year thereafter.

Sorry to be so longwinded, but that is the way I am.

Dave

Last edited by Dayton-Dave; 03-21-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yes but prices have gone up and down in the past... Not to be confused with a consistant market shift. KBB is also worth donkey crap when it comes to buying an SVX because there are far too many variables such as transmission and wheel bearings that cannot be counted if they are close to failure and not yet diagnosed... Just some food for thought. granted, while some people keep parting them out and others just wrap them around strange objects of course their rarity will increase their worth but not as drastically as you presume

tom
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
What's so "advanced" about them? They have and engine, wheels, and air conditioning. The awd system hardly works, stopping power is weak, mpg blows, they're slow, and they need premium fuel which isn't cheap anymore. What normal person would go out looking for a car and say this is the right one for them, especially if the kbb listed them for high prices?

I don't mean to totally down the car that I own, just stating the facts. Now that mine has a manual transmission and upgraded brakes I'm sure I'll fall back in love with it.. but I don't expect to get back what I put into it. I guess we should be glad they're cheap, that means we can buy them all
What is so advanced? You hear over and over that they were ahead of their time. Marketing was one of the biggest problems and even today, most people don't know what the heck they are. That is what I like about them. You don't see 12 of them on the way to work or a weekend drive unless you are at a meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I love the thing, (hell I just dumped 5 grand into it) but I love it as a relatively cheap, comfortable daily driver - not an investment
You cold have fooled me! You seem to be the first to insult the car with everything that could be wrong with it. None of us have purchased these to make money or to invest in them for the future. We buy them because we like them and appreciate the car for what it is. If you take care of them, they will run for many many miles. Those who abuse them, end up walking before the end of their trip.

My $.02

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i love my svx, now just rolling over 32,000 miles on it i fully intend to enjoy it, i also do not see loosing any money on it when i do decide to sell it
"not any time soon so back off !!" lol

i just ordered the cloud side skirts the nice deep dish stagered wheels HIDs this car looks like something from last years models,

i always say if you put alot of time and money into the "design of a car" it will last the test of time, and the svx does that well,
Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 AM

An Objective View

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:58 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Well okay listen, glad to have you as a member and all but if you fully read this article then this author does not have all the facts. He is clearly mistaken when he mentions the models to avoid. (copied from the article)” Several models were offered over the course of the SVX's lifetime. Initially, there was an LS and an LS-L model. The LS-L, which sold for several thousand more than the base model, came with a "Touring Package" consisting of leather, more power options, a better stereo, and the like. The only models to stay away from are the 1994 L and LS models, and the 1995 L, as these were front-wheel drive only.” I have a 95 L AWD model. Even before purchase I had to ask the great members here if it was indeed possible and it is.

I chose not to read any further as it proves to me this guy has an opinion and not researched.
You have formulated your opinion, most would have to disagree and that’s about that. Unless you are hurting for numerical amount of posts then find a different topic please. I assume this article clearly made you all excited about the car. You cannot believe all you read just drive the car and find out for your self.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 AM

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
[QUOTE=ensteele]What is so advanced? You hear over and over that they were ahead of their time. Marketing was one of the biggest problems and even today, most people don't know what the heck they are. That is what I like about them. You don't see 12 of them on the way to work or a weekend drive unless you are at a meet.

UNLESS YOUR PASSING EARLS HOUSE!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM

I thought the Sports Car Market article was a terrific encapsulation of the SVX. The appropriation of the Jaguar motto, "grace, space, pace" is entirely fitting. As to the models-to-avoid blurb, FWD vs. AWD is a subjective matter and thus hardly a point of contention, really.

dcb
Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvs
Published articles frequently contain small errors, like the one you point out. They are rarely the fault of the author, more likely this is the result of poor editing. It is self-serving to conclude the person failed to do research.

It is also hypocritical, you have failed to do any research yourself. If you had you would know I've got 3, right now. Although you couldn't have researched this, I've known about SVX's from when they were being sold. I can't be sure when that was exactly. I only recently discovered this article, after we acquired the 3rd.

I don't understand your comment about number of posts, but I don't 'need' any of this. Especially, mistaken advice and assumptions.

Similar to the Golden Rule, I never ask someone to do what I'm unwilling to do myself.

What is this entertainment (?????) okay, I had done a web based research and have looked on Joe Spitz information about this wonderful car. I could not clearly figure out just how an L model could be an AWD. Indeed if you research my posts you would be gain knowledge on just how I received word that in fact it was an option. Now that I am the second owner of the 95 L AWD, I can guarantee it with the original window sticker.

Honestly we have hit the niggling load. I must say enjoy driving the car, which is all you really need. The website here is a wonderful one, and for a family of svx owners we love just love our cars. The rest of the world could wish to agree or not. We know we do.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
My first concern after owning the car was the VIN number. I too have a 95 L with AWD when I first researched this vehicle and the year, I got worried it was only FWD. I think there were option packages because I'm not supposed to have leather seats, but I do. I can check the VIN number and my car options definately do not agree.