How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 AM

SVX Value

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
What's so "advanced" about them? They have and engine, wheels, and air conditioning. The awd system hardly works, stopping power is weak, mpg blows, they're slow, and they need premium fuel which isn't cheap anymore. What normal person would go out looking for a car and say this is the right one for them, especially if the kbb listed them for high prices?

I don't mean to totally down the car that I own, just stating the facts. Now that mine has a manual transmission and upgraded brakes I'm sure I'll fall back in love with it.. but I don't expect to get back what I put into it. I guess we should be glad they're cheap, that means we can buy them all
Old 03-21-2007, 04:20 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
What's so "advanced" about them? They have and engine, wheels, and air conditioning. The awd system hardly works, stopping power is weak, mpg blows, they're slow, and they need premium fuel which isn't cheap anymore. What normal person would go out looking for a car and say this is the right one for them, especially if the kbb listed them for high prices?

I don't mean to totally down the car that I own, just stating the facts. Now that mine has a manual transmission and upgraded brakes I'm sure I'll fall back in love with it.. but I don't expect to get back what I put into it. I guess we should be glad they're cheap, that means we can buy them all

Well said,

I have two on the road and I would love more. I love my cars love to show them off, but honestly it will take a very long time for collectors to be interested in them. Take a look at Austin Healey’s they are kind of unique and still not too many collectors are after them. My husband and father in-law both had one. I could sell all three of my svx's and have a down payment on a 500 hp vehicle. Honestly one car with 500hp would be a hole lot of fun to drive. But I cannot afford the payments and really love the svx’s as they were once a dream car of mine.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 03-21-2007, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
"When someone inquires here about the value of a purchase they are considering I have never seen this appreciation mentioned. Often multiple voices will opine that the asking price is too high. This not only fails to recognize the inevitable trend, but goes against the interest of any current owners, which appears to include many of those making the comments." cdvs

I believe that we are doing what this site is designed to do, we are passing on information to others on this site. I would feel really bad if someone got soaked by a used car dealer. If you were in the grocery store and someone about to pay $12 for a gal. of milk, wouldn't you speak up. If more people in this country would look out for thier fellow man, we would all be a lot better off.

Now everyone make room so I can climb down off my soapbox.

Last edited by budbaer; 03-21-2007 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 AM

It may become a collector car, but it's going to be a lot of years before it does. I think a lot of the imports from the mid 90's are going to become collectors, but it's going to be about 15-20 more years before they do. I think in that time your going to see the Supra, 3000gt, RX-7, 300zx, and maybe SVX become classics. They will bring a lot of money, but only in really nice condition and I don't think they are going to compare to the chrome corvettes for collectors.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 AM

It's easy to see both sides of the evaluation issue. No one really wants anybody here get taken to the cleaners by an SVX seller asking an inflated price, but then again, these cars will never be worth anything if enthusiasts perpetually diminish their value. Frankly, if I were to decide to sell I figure I'd do better trading with a local dealership than offering here, and that's too bad.

What's so special about an SVX? The limited production numbers, for a start. These aren't specially-equipped Legacys, but unique vehicles from the ground-up. Peruse eBay, for example, and you see all sorts of claims about how this Mustang or that 'Cuda have "the rare 351 Cleveland V-8" or whatnot, which makes them more exclusive. Yes, well, how many Mustangs came off the line that year?

For the record, both of my cars are plenty fast, the brakes work fine, the AWD systems do their thing, and I'm not the least bit disappointed in the fuel economy they return, all things considered. Were interested in smokin' everyone at traffic lights, I reckon I'd buy one of those 500-hp Hemi-Whatevers. Hey, to each his or her own.

I went with a buddy of mine yesterday to check-out an '05 (or 6?) Eddie Bauer Outback on a local dealer's lot (not something we see around here often). Forty thousand miles, twenty thousand dollars. That's TWENTY thousand dollars. I've spent $5250 to buy two rare and unusual cars that are my sole means of transport, and that have caused me little in the way of trouble. I've walked once, when a battery died. (I should have replaced it when I bought the car, as it had no date stamp.)

Twenty five years ago at a Mustang swap meet, I overheard one fellow telling another:

"These cars will never be worth anything. There were too many made."

dcb

Edit: Umm, make that an LL Bean Outback.

Last edited by dcarrb; 03-21-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
I think in that time your going to see the Supra, 3000gt, RX-7, 300zx, and maybe SVX become classics.
Apple, apple, apple, apple, orange.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
the only svx's what would be worth anything are the high end models. with the spoilers, heated seats, folding mirrors, tilting headlights(alot of these things mentioned in my owners manual. that i dont have)
the standard SVX, wont increase in value. it may get to the $8000AUD, and sit there for years..
i cant see these cars being worth more to be honest. 25,000 worldwide right? how many would be on the roads these days,,, estimated??
Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger
the only svx's what would be worth anything are the high end models. with the spoilers, heated seats, folding mirrors, tilting headlights(alot of these things mentioned in my owners manual. that i dont have)
the standard SVX, wont increase in value. it may get to the $8000AUD, and sit there for years..
i cant see these cars being worth more to be honest. 25,000 worldwide right? how many would be on the roads these days,,, estimated??

heated seats? you got heated seats?

Any yes, in 25 years a SVX in very nice condition with 60k miles will probably bring $25000 because it's very rare. In 10 years when I have 250k miles on mine and everything is getting worn out because of age I'm going to sell mine for $1500.

I do think that an SVX is a bargin right now, I picked mine up for a good price and it's as good or better then my dad's 01 A4 that he paid $30+k for.

Last edited by joburnet; 03-21-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Apple, apple, apple, apple, orange.
Not so sure about that.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carp...r/other094.jpg

At least, they consider it to be in the same class as the 300ZX and 3000GT.

EDIT: Carfax is useful, but not an end-all-be-all. If Carfax were omniscient, it would know that my car was in some sort of incident from its last owner, which it didn't know. Carfax only knows what gets reported. If reports drop off the face of the Earth, so does Carfax's ability to show you what's up.

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 03-21-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I brought some ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
Any yes, in 25 years a SVX in very nice condition with 60k miles will probably bring $25000 because it's very rare.
Green poop is rare, paypal me $400 and I'll send you some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Not so sure about that.

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/carp...r/other094.jpg

At least, they consider it to be in the same class as the 300ZX and 3000GT.
The SVX never had a twin-turbo manual transmission model offered. A naturally aspirated 300zx even in mint condition will soon only be worth its weight in scrap metal, along with our cars. Seems most of you have tunnel vision just because you own an svx. It's a nice car, kinda rare, but will never be worth anything. Sorry.

Last edited by Ricochet; 03-21-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Green poop is rare, paypal me $400 and I'll send you some.
So you don't understand how being rare increases the value of a car?

Anyone can make green poop for 10 cents and sometimes free depending on what you eat but nobody can make a 40 year old classic car for 10 cents.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
The SVX never had a twin-turbo manual transmission model offered. A naturally aspirated 300zx even in mint condition will soon only be worth its weight in scrap metal, along with our cars. Seems most of you have tunnel vision just because you own an svx. It's a nice car, kinda rare, but will never be worth anything. Sorry.
The NA 300ZX will still be worth something as parts for a twin turbo Z.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I brought some ham.

You're missing my point.. rarity and value aren't directly proportional. Would someone buy a beat up classic musclecar for big bucks? Happens every day, they're american icons. The only stamp left by the svx was how bad Subaru screwed up by making an unreliable, overpriced car. Again I don't mean to down the car so much but it isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has funny windows - cool, but not $25k cool.