IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
That's exactly what it does, and it's Jon. Thanks for the info, what does IACV stand for and how will I know it when I see it? Thanks.

I just went and looked at it and it's not easy to look into the throttle body. I'm going to take off the air intake where it meets the throttle body and spray some TB cleaner in there while it's running.

I found this article using a search:
www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/billb/29498.doc
Good document that I don't think I would have found without .

Jon,
Idle Air Control Valve.
The IACV is actually bolted on to the underside of the TB. It has a dedicated air line and electrical connector. You can see it easier if you look from the driver's side of the engine bay.
Don't bother trying to keep the engine running if you pull the air intake off of the TB. Once you've pulled the air intake off you've taken the MAF out of the control loop and the ECU isn't going to know what to think Just go ahead and use a clean shop rag to wipe out the TB after you've sprayed it. As far as cleaning the IACV, you've really only got two choices - take it off and clean it or spray cleaner down its air feed hose.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm not taking anything apart today, it's too cold outside. If I can reach it I'll take the hose off the IACV and spray some cleaner in there a little later. If that doesn't work I'll take everything apart when it warms up a little.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM

I lied, I took everything apart today.

Here's a tip: Rubber hoses don't do well at 35 degrees.

I snapped two of them, one that connected to the top drivers side of the throttle body and one that connected to the drivers side of the air intake. Tomorrow I have to figure out where they went and order them.

Good news though, when I got the IACV off and cleaned it a big chunk of dirt fell out. I think that was clogging it and I'm hopefull it will fix the problem. The throttle body was also pretty clean, I'll clean it out tomorrow though. Where's a good place to get hoses?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
I lied, I took everything apart today.

Here's a tip: Rubber hoses don't do well at 35 degrees.

I snapped two of them, one that connected to the top drivers side of the throttle body and one that connected to the drivers side of the air intake. Tomorrow I have to figure out where they went and order them.

Good news though, when I got the IACV off and cleaned it a big chunk of dirt fell out. I think that was clogging it and I'm hopefull it will fix the problem. The throttle body was also pretty clean, I'll clean it out tomorrow though. Where's a good place to get hoses?
Jon
You can just get a length of Viton tubing for the line to the top of the TB (or the prepackaged lengths at Advance Auto). Sounds like you also broke the PCV hose that goes over to the top of the valve cover. You'll need to go to Subaru for this hose. Try Annapolis Subaru - ask for Jackie (443-837-1422) and make sure to mention you're a member of the SVX Network, she should give you a discount.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Jon
You can just get a length of Viton tubing for the line to the top of the TB (or the prepackaged lengths at Advance Auto). Sounds like you also broke the PCV hose that goes over to the top of the valve cover. You'll need to go to Subaru for this hose. Try Annapolis Subaru - ask for Jackie (443-837-1422) and make sure to mention you're a member of the SVX Network, she should give you a discount.
-Bill

I was going to repair the hoses with duct tape for today and then take pictures to try to identify them and order replcement parts.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM

All that jazz and it's still not fixed, just took it for a test drive and it stalled out on my twice once it was warmed up. Just like before it happened when I was coming to a stop. Now I'm back to MAF Sensor as the main suspect. I guess I'll order one and if that fixes the problem then I'm golden. If not then we'll see.