Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info, any idea where I can find the MAFS cleaner locally?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
just about any parts store will have it... Grey can with a black cap... cannot miss it

tom
Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

Assuming you get your bearing & drivability woes out of the way prior to mid-April, go take a peek at the Reading, PA meet thread. Join the gang of SVX nutcases. Plenty to choose from. Welcome aboard.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Assuming you get your bearing & drivability woes out of the way prior to mid-April, go take a peek at the Reading, PA meet thread. Join the gang of SVX nutcases. Plenty to choose from. Welcome aboard.

Ron.

Thanks, I checked the threads, what's the official date? Mid april should work but I'm travelling the end of April. I'm pretty anxious to get this on the road so I don't think it's gonna take too long.

I'll be at advance auto parts tomorrow to pick up the cleaner, I'd be there now if they were open. Too bad the weather is going to be crappy.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
.....the gang of SVX nutcases.
HEY!!! I (we) resemble that remark!

Signed,

The entire SVX World Network Community.........

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM

I just got back from advance auto parts and cleaned the MAFS with some MAFS cleaner. I'm making sure it's dry before I go back out on the road but it was already pretty clean. The air filter looks new and the inside of the airbox was very clean.

I just noticed that I'm going to be needed a new radiator. Someone fixed mine with what looks like super glue and it's got a small leak. Anyone have a good source for radiators?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
I just got back from advance auto parts and cleaned the MAFS with some MAFS cleaner. I'm making sure it's dry before I go back out on the road but it was already pretty clean. The air filter looks new and the inside of the airbox was very clean.

I just noticed that I'm going to be needed a new radiator. Someone fixed mine with what looks like super glue and it's got a small leak. Anyone have a good source for radiators?

People have had success with the Silla (sp?) radiators. Use the "search" feature of the network to get the phone number (or just go to Ebay and bid on one). The MAF can look clean and still be fouled, as it is a hot wire sensor. I'd still recommend getting some Throttle Body cleaner spray and going at the TB. An easy way is to pull one of the PCV lines off of the "Snorkle" and spray the TB cleaner into the Snorkle while keeping the engine speed up by working the throttle cable with your free hand.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM

I test drove it and cleaning the MAFS helped becuase it didn't stall at all. A couple times it came close but didn't actually shut off. I cleaned it again when I got back so hopefully that will be the end of that problem.

I did a search and found that motorsport-svx sell the radiators for around $165 shipped so I'll give him a call later to order.

I think I'm going to replace the wheel bearing myself when the weather gets warmer next week. What I need to know is what parts do I have to order online and what parts can I get locally. I found this one for $51 shipped, does it have everything I need?

http://www.innerauto.com/browse/bran...+94+Subaru+SVX
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Well cleaning certainly didn't fix it. I was on the highway when traffic slowed to a near stop and it stalled out on me. What are the chances that the MAFS just needs to be replaced? What else could it be?

Sometimes it idle's just fine like everything is perfect and sometimes it has trouble. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Maniac modifier

clean out the TB and all that good stuff first.

tom
Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 PM

Tomorrow is cold but sunny so I should be able to do minor stuff then. I'm pretty limited to what I'm willing to do while it's snowing. Would be nice to have a garage.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Maniac modifier

thats why i pay $225 a month for one good luck

tom
Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM

I cleaned the MAF overnight in some vinegar and no dice. I don't know if it is what's causeing problems but if it is bad it needs to be replaced and can't be cleaned.

Is there a way to get one of these locally? I've called all the dealerships, one of which wanted to charge me nearly $600 for the part, and none of them have it in stock. I'd like to get this figured out today if possible.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Joe (?)
If I'm reading your posts correctly, the car is stalling as it drops down to idle. Assuming you get to idle without stalling, it's fine. Once it stalls, it starts right back up without any problem. Have I got it right?
Assuming I've got it right, it sounds like your IACV is sticking or your AACV is acting up. The IACV is what controls the amount of air coming into the engine when the throttle plates are closed (at idle). If it gets stuck, you can end up with no air/not enough air coming into the engine when the throttle plates close. The IACV is mounted to the underside of the Throttle Body. It has a dedicated air line that goes into it (other end taps into the "Snorkle"). You might try disconnecting the line from the "Snorkle" and spraying TB cleaner into it while the car is running. It will try to cut out on you, just work the throttle.
I ended up having to remove my IACV and clean it - spraying TB cleaner into it while I worked the little "window" that opens and closes to vary the amount of air flow.
Hope this helps.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Joe (?)
If I'm reading your posts correctly, the car is stalling as it drops down to idle. Assuming you get to idle without stalling, it's fine. Once it stalls, it starts right back up without any problem. Have I got it right?
Assuming I've got it right, it sounds like your IACV is sticking or your AACV is acting up. The IACV is what controls the amount of air coming into the engine when the throttle plates are closed (at idle). If it gets stuck, you can end up with no air/not enough air coming into the engine when the throttle plates close. The IACV is mounted to the underside of the Throttle Body. It has a dedicated air line that goes into it (other end taps into the "Snorkle"). You might try disconnecting the line from the "Snorkle" and spraying TB cleaner into it while the car is running. It will try to cut out on you, just work the throttle.
I ended up having to remove my IACV and clean it - spraying TB cleaner into it while I worked the little "window" that opens and closes to vary the amount of air flow.
Hope this helps.
-Bill

That's exactly what it does, and it's Jon. Thanks for the info, what does IACV stand for and how will I know it when I see it? Thanks.

I just went and looked at it and it's not easy to look into the throttle body. I'm going to take off the air intake where it meets the throttle body and spray some TB cleaner in there while it's running.

I found this article using a search:
www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/billb/29498.doc
Good document that I don't think I would have found without .

Last edited by joburnet; 03-08-2007 at 09:16 AM.