SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Ya, but Bugatti has a reputation as a premier supercar builder. Subaru build rally cars. People bought the Veyron because of what it is, the most expensive 4 wheeled bragging card you can find.

Build a 1.2 mil, 260 MPH Subbie and see what happens.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
To revive the svx woud be going backward in subaru evolution. Lets face it, subaru has always been econobox oriented...its jsut somewhere down the line someone decided to go off roading with their mom's beater DL and holy moly! it worked! Suddenly subaru is winning world rallys and stuff with their suped up refridgerators with giant wings, and people decide"Hey, mabey his thing works on pavement too" Somewhre in there the svx was all "Hey, Im luxourious and cost twice as much as all the other new subies. Oh, and I have rounded corners" (A very strange concept for subaru then, AND now)

The logical step would be a roadster or some sort.Small, quick, dependable. Very limited options..Offer like, powr windows and ocks, air conditioning, power steering, cd player w/ mp3...and thats about all.Picture something along the lines of an awd miata on steroids (With no round corners, of course..to stay within subaru niche standards) Mabey something on a comprable market as the honda S-2000 or a porche boxter

Having all the world's psudo technilogical luxuries and alot of "Hey! Look at me! I cant open my doors in a parking garage!" will easilly put the car out of the price range for anyone wiling to buy something with the stars of palades on it.Dont think that wont happen either...It already has.The idea of a hand made lambroghini-like car from subaru is exactly the kind of absurd idea the svx was in it's time. and anyone thinkign they can land such a car in the 40k price range is out of their mind. The svx retailed for 36,000 15 years ago..with inflation thats like purchasing a 50,000 car now. if you had 50,000$, would you spend it on a SUBARU!? (Yes, i know Im asking a biased crowd. But also keep in mind the STI special edition, 7 pannenger tribecca, and legacy spec B start at 33k msrp.)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jwd45535
True and hilarious Its Just Eric and Crazy Pilot. Maybe if it was planed right it could succeed. The major problem is that it would take a long time. At least if the introduce it as an econo car and build it over the years. However that would introduce the rice crowd.

However (I just remembered) on speed channel I do recall that they are now having any car in rice except it ain't no beater from your parents. I've seen Jags, Lambos, Ferraris, and many more dragged into rice from the earlier rice generations who have built their careers up and have a big salary to fill the need they want. These are nice cars but I would hate to see a non-race Subaru SVX to have to have to put up with it. I guess I, personally, could and most likely would add engine up grade for the rush of speed and the feeling of you being pushed back into to your seat. Also don't think because the SVX is rare (I'm sounding like such an annoying know-it-all lol) doesn't mean there are people who built there own body mods and bought upgrade parts. I have seen quite a few on cardomain.com. Plus, lately Subaru is really getting into the aftermarket parts as all of us probably know.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
to author

I don't think the market is ready for a $50,000 Subaru.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Based on what the designers for the 2008+ WRX have done I would hate to see what they would do for a new SVX
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM

I know the market is not ready which is why the SVX should start a a cheap coupe. They currently don't have a coupe to market so this would be great. Hopefully they don't add that ugly trianglular nose and keep it looking like a sports car. Once the SVX starts to sell well, Subaru can up the anti by improving it and making it the cool car it deserves to be.

Well are there any ideas on what the new SVX should look like?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd45535
Well are there any ideas on what the new SVX should look like?
Exactly like the 92-97's, nobody's ever done that before.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo3185
but you understand that it wouldn't be called a SVX..it would be the 3rd generation Alcyone...

and each generation has had a X in the title

XT
SVX

so maybe we should call it the Subaru Alcyone (???)-TT (twin turbo 320BHP monster! )

think of a name for it ppl

6 cylinder, twin turbo'ed, Horizontally opposed love machine
I'd go RSX - subaru had the 'performance' liberty/legacy as RS in past.

To me, Subaru really does need to come out with a updated SVX - otherwise they will only become know as impressa (small) / legacy (medium) car makers and over time will loose customer base as people change brands due to lack of choice.

Is Subaru so small it can not come up with something equal/better than Mazda RX8, Nissan 350?

I remember the the XT was designred in US? - was the SVX was well or a whole Japan job? I personally like the B11s - just change the nose so people would want to look at it
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
In a conversation between Eric and I, these words sum it up:

-a) itd be really cool to see subaru come out with a quick little awd roadster

-b) Subaru really needs a new platform other than the Impreza or Legacy

-c) It better not look like a rhinocerous with a flying V for a face
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
In my opinion, I would really love to see a roadster/coupe combo from Subaru
(It would fit somewhere between the TT and the 350Z) (meaning you could take the option for a roadster or coupe)

-It could have options for packages and motor/trans choices as the Impreza line
(2.0,2.0T,2.5T) and trans choices as the (5spd man, auto w sportshift, 6speed)

This would be desirable to me, instead of all this fast sedan "hoo-ha" , you'd be putting what really makes those cars desireable in a body that is equally attractive.

Subaru would get two cars out of the same platform/basis and much as the Saturn Sky/ Pontiac Solstice stirred things up at GM, Subaru could have their own shot at a midlife crisis/youthful market.

(Edit: And I would Buy it! -provided it didnt look liek a two door turbocharged chinese take out box with a flying v for a FACE )
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Exactly like the 92-97's, nobody's ever done that before.
That sounds good, and we could also upgrade the electronics and fetures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64
I'd go RSX - subaru had the 'performance' liberty/legacy as RS in past.

To me, Subaru really does need to come out with a updated SVX - otherwise they will only become know as impressa (small) / legacy (medium) car makers and over time will loose customer base as people change brands due to lack of choice.

Is Subaru so small it can not come up with something equal/better than Mazda RX8, Nissan 350?

I remember the the XT was designred in US? - was the SVX was well or a whole Japan job? I personally like the B11s - just change the nose so people would want to look at it
I agree. The only problem is Acura already has the RSX model name. I still think the SVX should also rival Nissan's all-wheel drive Skyline.

Mike621, I agree with y'all. That nose is uglier than than an old rust bucket. I don't know the sales stats for the Impreza or B9 Tribeca, but it has got to be low.

However I would like to see the H6 engine stay. Maybe have the Impreza's H4 engine in a cheaper model. I would also like to see a future version that include an H8 engine and a 6 speed electronic tranny with a manual shift mode to catch the upper-class market. Maybe Porsche's Sportronic transmission.

An SVX that has GM's new coupe would be neat, but I imagined that the it would be bigger than that.

Any more ideas? The more we have, the more we could get an idea. If not to convince Subaru, then to just imagine a Subaru better than whats out.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd45535
I still think the SVX should also rival Nissan's all-wheel drive Skyline.
And be another $80,000 car you'll only see in magazines showing what a car company is capable of making? No thanks. The SVX was a sports luxury car affordable to a lot of people when it came out, but only bought by few who could appreciate what it was. I'd rather it be rereleased as the same thing; another weird but affordable car so when I buy one it's not just to show how much money I have, but to set me apart from the normals in their Honda Accords.

You all know this thread is just wishful thinking anyways. Have you seen any of the latest Subaru ads? They're aiming their boring lineup at the people the SVX was never meant to carry.. normal people driving their kids to soccer practice with a sense of safety and a slightly rebelistic feeling when they battle traffic alone in the mornings. Every company has some kind of awd luxury contraption rolling out their plants nowadays, and Subaru will never shoot outside the box again.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64
http://www.svx-iw.com/svxiw/road_track/

SVX was made in Japan.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:09 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Yes, but every car company produces a two-door sports/sporty model.
Subaru may or may not still be stinging from the failure of the SVX, but this segment is too important to ignore. I'm not saying it has to be priced out of normal poeple's range, a quality AWD car with power and refinment can be produced in the mid-30k range.

I like the roadster idea, as long as it has the looks.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Like I've mentioned elsewhere, Subaru may be reducing current trim levels to broaden model lineup. We know they are thinking of introducing both a roadster and grand touring 2 door sedan.

What would make this thread interesting are some SVXN user concept drawings.
I did one for the day-dreamed revival of the XT6 a couple days before they unveiled he B11s, then I concluded my concept drawing days out of shock of them being so similar.
Subaru knows what to do.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.