Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Colorado SVX shop

I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a shop in Colorado that is fairly cheap price with decent work.

I have a lot of things I need/want to do to my car, and can't find anyone that has any idea what they're talking about.

Anyone near Greeley would be best, but i could go to denver too.

BTW, any input on silicon hoses and tubes? I have been toying with that idea for awhile, and was wondering what you all thought.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM

I can never find a reliable shop to work with, other then a dealership. Thats why I try to do most of my own work. With the knowledge available to us onb this network, and alittle bit of basic mechanical skill, you can do just baout anything short of tranny swaps or engine rebuilds. With the right tools, you could probably even do those! Ordering parts online is easy enough, but if you need them quickly, Burt Subarus parts department is by far the best. They have always gone way out of their way to make things quick, easy, and as cheap as possible.
Sorry I cant provide with with more information abotu shops, but the only shop that I have ever used was up here in Fort Collins, and they totally sucked. Working on the SVX really isnt teribly difficult, and trust me, I have had ALOT of problems on mine.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM

I've only used some subaru shops in denver, and they sucked too, so i'm not sure at this point.

I don't have a garage or anything so I can't really do any of my own work. I always get harassed when I do any audio installs on the street, i hate it. I did find a place in boulder that has good parts and actually comes across SVXs every once in a while, but it's soo far of a drive, i hate to go there unless I absolutely have to.

Any responses on silicon hoses/vacuum tubes?

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I don't understand what type of response you are looking for with the silicon hoses / vaccuum tubes. Typically you can purchase OEM parts at a fraction of the aftermarket price. For example if you bought a inlet radiator hose from subaruparts.com it would cost $9.11 - the same part made out of "silicon" (most rubber has silicon in it) would cost $120. The amazing thing is that they provide the same function. I like to save money so I would buy the OEM part.

Chris
Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Silicone radiator hoses....Dunno what the hub-bub was abnout them, but I have em. Supposedly they are indestructable, but then again, how often do radiator hoses burst? If it aitn broke, dont fix it. If it breaks, use inferior engineering as an excuse to shell out extra cash
No as for silicone vacuum lines...thats probly jsut a load of malarky
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
What work do you need done on your SVX? I might be available to lend a hand.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
What work do you need done on your SVX? I might be available to lend a hand.
ohhhhhhhh?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Problems with my car.

I have a problem with my rear whiper fluid sprayer
possibly my fuel pump. (something that gives lots of problems starting it)
some vacuum hoses/intake hose
oil change (it's hard to do it at school, and I hate the shops here)

that's all i can think of right now, but i'm sure there's more.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by etz bseder
I have a problem with my rear whiper fluid sprayer
possibly my fuel pump. (something that gives lots of problems starting it)
some vacuum hoses/intake hose
oil change (it's hard to do it at school, and I hate the shops here)

that's all i can think of right now, but i'm sure there's more.
Anybody can do an oil change for you.. With the starting problems, is it only hard to start when the engine is cold? If you turn the car off and try to start it right back up, does it give the same problems? If it's only when the car sits for awhile, it could be the O-ring on the fuel pump that's torn. When that O-ring tears, it allows the pressure from the fuel lines to bleed out.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM

hard start

It's usually when the car sits half a day or more, but sometimes happens just after turning off. What it does is basically just a long hard start, and to make it start faster, i can pump the gas while the key is turned, and the engine cranking.

as for the oil change, I've never done one myself and everywhere I've gone is trying to charge 25 bucks or more for the standard oil change, and i wanted to put a better oil but for cheaper, i DON'T need a new filter, but they always want to give me one.

Any ideas on a rear wiper fluid not spraying. I hear the pump, and the reservoir is full. the rear speaker shelf is off, and i can access all of the pump, but can't figure out what it is that's clogged or how to clear it.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sounds like it may be a temp sensor... When they go bad, it chokes the fuel when the car is cold so it cannot idle where it wants to... It happens all the time and is a relatively simple fix

Tom
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Oh, that's the first I've heard of it. How would I go about doing that, or finding out for sure if it is that.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Maniac modifier

just do a search for temp sensor... there used to be a million billion questions about it

Tom
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 AM

I looked on herre, and in my chiltons, and i can't find a picture of where to look, or a quick explanaition of how to tell if the temp sensors aren't working. I don't know much about cars, but I am a wiz with electronics. i just need guidance. If i could get a pic, that would be great.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Maniac modifier

in this diagram attached you are looking for #8. It is the two prong plug under the intake in the rear driver's side corner of the engine

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 07-18-2008 at 01:03 PM.