SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Pontiac/Holden...Vauxhall?

So I just watched some Tope Gear footage of a Vauxhall Monaro... ok so let me get this straight... all u do is take a Holden Monaro and put a Pontiac badge on it and you get a GTO... BUT if you put Vauxhall badges on it you get a Monaro as well??? Seriously, someone needs to be shot for changing the name of a car so much yet leave the headlights, taillights and even the interior completely the same.... how stupid....Not to mention how could the British not see through this crap and love the Vauxhall? Hell its got the same crappy lackluster pushrod 5.7L in it. How much you wanna bet the old Goat lovers are scrambling to get the body parts from the Vauxhall lol So when do we get the Falcon from Australia? lol

Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
In 'Her Magesty's country....

The 'duty's are so high, that only PARTS are imported. Then the 'in country' auto manufacturers build something 'different' out of the parts. They apply the 'badge' from their company and call cat a dog.

I have pics of a 1970 'Crown', assembled out of Dodge Dart parts, with a different grill and taillights, but they can escape the Confiscatory dutys by building the car out of imported parts. ( instead of the assembled product).
This makes for some very different animals that exist out of, shall we say, the same bloodlines as what we are USED to seeing.

The cars I speak of were built in New Z and Austrailia. Holden is a major player 'Down Under', and has the means to import whatever 'parts' they want to.

I think Trevor can testify here..

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

My point mainly being that I dont see why Pontiac felt it was unique in rebadging a Holden Monaro as a GTO and noone would recognize it.. seems like a cheap shortcut and its pathetic to me. Cheating whereas other manufacturers bring something in-house. How can anyone be proud to have a GTO... All i see is a Monaro. It doesnt even look like a GTO. At least the Mustang looks like a Mustang and the Charger looks like a Charger lol
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Hater

are you just now realizing that the GTO is a re-badged Monaro from GM's Australian division?

is the GTO even still in production?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Network Design Administrator

hmmm lets see here... Grand Marquis/Crown Vic...

Lincoln Navigator/Ford Explorer...

its by no means something that hasnt been done before...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX

Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition

Fixed your post

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Network Design Administrator

neat
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Hater

ok, what is this?:

concept car? body kit? this should have been what the GTO looked like.

....not this crappy Grand Am looking turd:
[/QUOTE]

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX

Lincoln Navigator/Ford Explorer...

Yeah, but I was always ranting about how they went about doing it as well.
You don't take a car using old technology and play it off as the latest best engineered NEW sport coupe. I would rather see them dump the biggest v8 they could find in the G6 coupe and call it a "revolution".

The GTO sparked the muscle car deal and the new one is just an insult. I don't have any personal reservations on the HoldenGTO... but hate them for how they went about marketing it... It is sortof how I get all "" every time I see a SAAB commercial bragging about it's aircraft engineer's latest creation... cou-rebadge-ough
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Quote:
concept car? body kit? this should have been what the GTO looked like.
At least Lincoln and Mercury are in house Ford. GM just saw an opportunity to try and capitalize on Fords Mustang... and look at the sales of the GTO.. its like an almost Aztek magntude disaster. How you dont profit form rebadging is beyond me haha. Let me put some Porsche badges on a Festiva and lets market it... such crap. isnt GM capable of creating its OWN GTO like theyre doing with the Camaro? I might not be fan of camaro's but i admit the new concept Camaro is very bold, maybe even surpasing the benchmark Ford set with the throwback badass retro styling and performance. Too bad the GTO was a halfa** sorry attepmt at the same thing... GTOs dont need projector headlights... its not a modern era car... Dont pass it off as one.... geez

Holden made a great car... no logical reason a BIG manufacturer cant create a brand new platform.. theyre doing it with the G8 and the Solstice which by the way I think stuffing an LS7 into a Solstice is like Shelby Cobra level insanity and I love it!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...16b84d3ed2.htm
Old 02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
At least Lincoln and Mercury are in house Ford. GM just saw an opportunity to try and capitalize on Fords Mustang... and look at the sales of the GTO.. its like an almost Aztek magntude disaster. How you dont profit form rebadging is beyond me haha. Let me put some Porsche badges on a Festiva and lets market it... such crap. isnt GM capable of creating its OWN GTO like theyre doing with the Camaro? I might not be fan of camaro's but i admit the new concept Camaro is very bold, maybe even surpasing the benchmark Ford set with the throwback badass retro styling and performance. Too bad the GTO was a halfa** sorry attepmt at the same thing... GTOs dont need projector headlights... its not a modern era car... Dont pass it off as one.... geez

Holden made a great car... no logical reason a BIG manufacturer cant create a brand new platform.. theyre doing it with the G8 and the Solstice which by the way I think stuffing an LS7 into a Solstice is like Shelby Cobra level insanity and I love it!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...16b84d3ed2.htm

You do realize Holden is a GM brand just as Pontiac is, just as Saturn is, just as Olds was. In other words they are from the same parts bin and the stock holders are the same.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Snore....

Buicks used to have Buick engines, and Chevys had Chevy engines, blah, blah, blah. In the '70s, GM (God's Mistake) was hit with a rather large suit by people that claimed to not have known they were being sold a Buick with an Oldsmobile engine, etc. Funny, they never complained about the fact that they had been buying Buicks with corporate transmissions for the past xx years. Also funny is that consumers seemed to always realize that their Mercury had a Ford engine, and that Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler shared the same running gear.

p.s. Does anyone have a question as to what I think of GM products? Don't get me wrong, I've worked on almost all makes, they all have their problems. And they all, some more than others, have their attributes. But to me, buying a GM is kin to buying a goose turd packaged in a Snickers wrapper. It looks dang good on the outside, it's what's inside that will...

And, no, I don't work where I do because I think they have the best product. Quite the opposite. Isn't it better to work something that is in constant need of repair?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
You do realize Holden is a GM brand just as Pontiac is, just as Saturn is, just as Olds was. In other words they are from the same parts bin and the stock holders are the same.
Don't agree with that. The Australian Holden is designed and built in Ozz, the car actually, goes, stops, and handles, unlike the US versions.

Harvey.

Ps. not that I would actually buy one though.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
p.s. Does anyone have a question as to what I think of GM products? Don't get me wrong, I've worked on almost all makes, they all have their problems. And they all, some more than others, have their attributes. But to me, buying a GM is kin to buying a goose turd packaged in a Snickers wrapper. It looks dang good on the outside, it's what's inside that will...

And, no, I don't work where I do because I think they have the best product. Quite the opposite. Isn't it better to work something that is in constant need of repair?
Beav,

I presume that you have never owned a Holden. I have owned several as hacks and they were bullet proof.

I last owned a 4.5 Ltr V8 Station wagon with outback suspension which was a delight to drive. Sure it was crudely put together, rusted as all cars of that era did, but it was reliable and did what it was designed for and a lot more besides.

I bashed it round a racing circuit for the hell of it, in a club event and it was vice free and lots of fun. On the road the handling was great. Moreover it was cheap and very, very cost affective.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
The 'duty's are so high, that only PARTS are imported. Then the 'in country' auto manufacturers build something 'different' out of the parts. They apply the 'badge' from their company and call cat a dog.

I have pics of a 1970 'Crown', assembled out of Dodge Dart parts, with a different grill and taillights, but they can escape the Confiscatory dutys by building the car out of imported parts. ( instead of the assembled product).
This makes for some very different animals that exist out of, shall we say, the same bloodlines as what we are USED to seeing.

The cars I speak of were built in New Z and Austrailia. Holden is a major player 'Down Under', and has the means to import whatever 'parts' they want to.

I think Trevor can testify here..
Sorry but I have only just picked up on this. The Crown/Dodge is something I have not heard of.

There is much more original manufacture down under than you may appreciate. Holdens in particular are certainly not simply an assembly of imported bits. Sure there is much interhouse trading on the basis of economics which is common world wide, but customs duty is not at the forefront.

There was once a large N.Z., assembly industry brought about by a shortage of overseas exchange, but this has gone by the board. The cars as assembled here were often altered considerably from the original, particularly in the handling department. Kiwis like to drive, rather than pander to looks.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Closed Thread