Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
With respect to the 245's issue. My winter tires are 225/50-16 Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S, and my summer and track day tires are 245/40-17 BFG G-Force KDW2's. The other day (on my winter tires), I beat out a stop light, making a left turn, and wound up making the turn at a comparatively high rate of speed. PZero's lost sideways traction and slid a little bit. No real drama, or anything, but I was a bit surprised, being used to the KDW's in turns. With my 245's that speed in a turn wouldn't even have resulted in noise, much less loss of grip.

Resulting opinion is that over-tired is not bad. I don't think the extent to which my 245's slow me down on the straights is detectable, whereas the enhanced grips in turns is clearly detectable. It's a heavy car, lateral forces are large. More tire is good.

As for more grip, less fun, powering through a sweeper with about half or 2/3 accelerator, controlling the line with my right foot, and tires screaming at me is about as much fun as I can stand.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 01-23-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourConfused
S.S. lines? Really that high up on the list of mods, above good pads? I have noticed a lack of bite from these oem pads. Hmmm
I have cf pads and they are fantastic. Sometimes they squeal during the summer in really slow traffic, but I really don't think I need to do anything else to the brakes until I start making a lot of 120mph stops, which could potentially be never.
They shudder above that speed.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourConfused
What has been the best 1K spent on your car?
thanks,
Shaun
Shaun, flat out, no question, the best $1000.00 mod I have ever done to a SVX is the 4.44 4EAT, automatic trans upgrade.
37% more torque in first,
31% more torque in second,
25% more in third, and
25% more in fourth!

I've done Supercharging, headers, springs, Big Brakes, bigger wheels and tires SS lines, lightened the car, etc, etc, etc,

We have 4.44s on four of our SVXi, and will do it to more!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Will LAN's tranny kit work with the 4.44's?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
Will LAN's tranny kit work with the 4.44's?
Yes!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Shaun, flat out, no question, the best $1000.00 mod I have ever done to a SVX is the 4.44 4EAT, automatic trans upgrade.
25% more in third, and
25% more in fourth!

I've done Supercharging, headers, springs, Big Brakes, bigger wheels and tires SS lines, lightened the car, etc, etc, etc,

AGREED.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:22 AM

The 4.44 deal sounds like it would be really fun to drive, but too mesy for the driveway, and too time consumeing. My SVX is about to become my only mode of transportation, so I'll stick witth stock gears for now. btw, what is stock diff gearing? I saw r180 in someones sig. Is that as in nissan r180 rear diff? That's got me thinkin about my 240z and how it needs a lsd. The diff and axles are the week point of that car, so why would someone want to convert to them?

Anyway, after doing the exhaust last night (took way too long) , I realized that my struts seem to be ok'ish a far as dampning, but the springs are just rather weak, (struts not ok and lost all their gas?) so that may be my next endevor.

Tom: just in envy of a tig at home. If I had one I could...

anyone on the ground control coilovers? feedback. worth the money over regular motorsport lowering spriings?

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Your probubly talking about mine and
tomsSVX's cars. We use an STi drivetrain(tranny and diff). The STi's use an R180 rear diff.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
We use an STi drivetrain(tranny and diff). The STi's use an R180 rear diff.
So does Sov13t.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
25% more in third, and
25% more in fourth!

I agree with Tom, this is the best way to spend money and get better performance from the car without breaking the bank.

I'm going to change both my SVX's to 4.11. I had this ratio before, it comes as standard on the Legacy Twin Turbo which I owned. It was pretty quick 0-60 or 0-100 if you floored it. This is the bonus. More importantly for everyday use, it cruised at only 500 rpm more than the SVX, which for us is 3.7 final as you all know. Perfectly acceptable.

Now my brother has a JDM Forester. It has a biggish turbo, makes about 240hp, and 4.44 final. For a jeep-like car it seriously hauls a$$. I find in driving that car that high speed means highish revs, a little tiring. If acceleration is your god, go for the 4.44.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Choices

To each his own based on his driving habits and environment.

As for me, I prefer the dead stock lower RPM cruising on our wide open, high speed limit interstates. Well, some secondary roads are nice and curvy for some driving fun, but stock still handles them nicely.

I could care less about speeds between stop lights.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
To each his own based on his driving habits and environment.

As for me, I prefer the dead stock lower RPM cruising on our wide open, high speed limit interstates. Well, some secondary roads are nice and curvy for some driving fun, but stock still handles them nicely.

I could care less about speeds between stop lights.

Lee
That's so true Lee.

It's a "horses for courses" thing. If I was in your neck of the woods, and the roads were all long and straight, I would be more influenced by quiet high-speed cruising. This is a strength of the SVX.

Over here congestion is so bad, and roads are so narrow, the ideal car would be a rally car with comfortable suspension and quiet cruise ability.

The SVX is that car, but with the exception of the "rally" bit. Pickup is leisurely.

If the SVX has one major fault, it is that of deceptive appearance. It may look like a quick car, but it is not a quick car. Lowering the gearing can help.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist

If the SVX has one major fault, it is that of deceptive appearance. It may look like a quick car, but it is not a quick car. Lowering the gearing can help.

Joe
Joe, our roads a very seldom straight and given the excellent handling and performance of my JDM SVX, I find the first limiting factor is the now so common, slanting forward mounting door pillars, which obstruct the view in respect of tight RH corners. The second is the steering ratio.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well, you know I am a committed fan of the car Trevor, so I don't lightly pick holes in its armour.

The steering is too slow and does not communicate, I would agree that. My main wish list would be for more torque, more power.

One the one end of the driving machine scale are the Lotus Elise type and the Caterham 7s. These are built so light and designed for racing, their power to weight and handling are in front of everything else.

At a severe cost. They have little or no creature comforts, nice for a Sunday drive like a motorbike, noisy and a pain in the t!t for everyday use.

On the other end of the driving machine scale are the likes of the Monaro VXR, which overcome their necessary bulk by having huge power and big brakes. This has drawbacks, because weight x speed = inertia, and this has to be handled to make them corner and stop.

I know which end of this spectrum the SVX is closest to. And I know which end of the spectrum I would prefer to be driving, unless I'm doing a hillclimb or something, which is a hobby, not an everyday lifestyle.

So for me the injection the SVX needs most is power. I would dread to think what figure the SVX would post in the 0-100-0 dash, which for me defines what all cars need, power with control. I'll bet most small turbodiesels these days would hammer it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM

So for me the injection the SVX needs most is power. I would dread to think what figure the SVX would post in the 0-100-0 dash, which for me defines what all cars need, power with control. I'll bet most small turbodiesels these days would hammer it.

That's sad Joe.