SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Unhappy Bad day for my Alfa....

Hi,

Today when I am driving back from Fremont to my place on I-880, I dont know what happened underneath, but I heard a big whack and I am driving at 75mph... So I am not able to stop and have a look. Once I am at home, I checked it and to my bad luck I saw a part of my middle passenger side skirt near to rear wheel has flown away . So now I need the passenger side skirt.

I still didn't figure out how tht happened.... . It did hit pretty hard on the control arm, but luckily it didn't bend....

thanks,

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 12-17-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Looks like a dent in the rocker panel too. Maybe you ran over something that popped up and whacked the underside of your car? Must have been something pretty solid.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Looks like a dent in the rocker panel too. Maybe you ran over something that popped up and whacked the underside of your car? Must have been something pretty solid.
But I didn't feel any bumps when I heard tht whack.... Anyway good thing is there is no dent, but u may be right will have a close look tommorow.

-Pavan
Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Hmmm. maybe it was broken and fixed before you bought it pav, and now it broke again???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Hmmm. maybe it was broken and fixed before you bought it pav, and now it broke again???
Naaa.... its all one piece. The skirt, door sills its all one. If it was broken before, it would have fallen earlier due to my hard driving .

-Pavan.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

She's an Alfa, at least it wasn't the floorboard that fell out! Only car that was worse for loosing body parts in that era was the Sterling. Good luck trying to find a replacement man. www.car-part.com would be a good place to start.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
She's an Alfa, at least it wasn't the floorboard that fell out! Only car that was worse for loosing body parts in that era was the Sterling. Good luck trying to find a replacement man. www.car-part.com would be a good place to start.
Plz... dont be soo rude on Alfas . They do give you lots of driving pleasure along with their distinctive engine note and engine response which attracts any true driver's attention giving atmost fun. I am not saying it is as reliable as our cars, but good care and prompt/regular maintainence will give you a lot in return .

I have already searched on car-part. At present I have contacted one of our Alfa members from Sacramento who is having access to a couple of parting out 164s and he is gonna check for me.

-Pavan.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
Plz... dont be soo rude on Alfas . They do give you lots of driving pleasure along with their distinctive engine note and engine response which attracts any true driver's attention giving atmost fun. I am not saying it is as reliable as our cars, but good care and prompt/regular maintainence will give you a lot in return .

I have already searched on car-part. At present I have contacted one of our Alfa members from Sacramento who is having access to a couple of parting out 164s and he is gonna check for me.

-Pavan.

Not making fun at all, just stating the truth on 'em. They're not your average Chevy in both good and bad ways. I almost had my mom talked into one back at the end of 92. They had 3 left at the Jeep/Alfa Stealership. You had your choice if you gave 'em $19995. I think the cheapest sticker was 29500 but the others were in the mid 30k range. Instead she got a Legacy Turbo for about $500 more.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Not making fun at all, just stating the truth on 'em. They're not your average Chevy in both good and bad ways. I almost had my mom talked into one back at the end of 92. They had 3 left at the Jeep/Alfa Stealership. You had your choice if you gave 'em $19995. I think the cheapest sticker was 29500 but the others were in the mid 30k range. Instead she got a Legacy Turbo for about $500 more.
Hmm maybe thats your impression on them. But from the time I owned it, I never had any major problems and it never stranded me in the middle. On the other hand, I am having lots of fun driving it as a daily driver and I love it.

I just keep checking my engine oil level as often as I can since it burns almost a quart oil for every 800-1000miles, but who cares for it when I am enjoying it. Your Mom made right choice by going for Subaru rather than Alfa .

-Pavan.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
Hmm maybe thats your impression on them. But from the time I owned it, I never had any major problems and it never stranded me in the middle. On the other hand, I am having lots of fun driving it as a daily driver and I love it.

I just keep checking my engine oil level as often as I can since it burns almost a quart oil for every 800-1000miles, but who cares for it when I am enjoying it. Your Mom made right choice by going for Subaru rather than Alfa .

-Pavan.
I said they have a very high likelyhood of things falling off. If you read it instead of jumping down my throat you'd see that I said nothing about major problems or stranding issues. I remember reading 3 different tests back in the day and all of them had body bits disappear over the test. Yours did the exact same thing. Me no think that was a coinkieedink since there were what maybe 20k 164ls shipped here?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
That happened to my daughter's Honda Civic not long ago. She thinks it was some road trash kicked up by the wheels. In city interstate traffic you can't see what's coming up. Still trying to find an "inexpensive" replacment.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)