How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Old Guy

Rear-Wheel-Steering: Myth or Miracle?

Anybody here an expert on rear-wheel-steering as rumored on JDM SVXs? I am wondering how complicated an active rws system has to be in order to be workable and practical. Was the JDM rws system active or passive, and if it was active, how was it powered and how did the system work? I may have posted this in the wrong section but wanted to scare up an expert if one exists on this forum. Thanks.
Preston
PS - I once had a swing-axle Corvair that essentially had passive rws that kicked in at just the wrong moment.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
We have at least 2 members here that have an AWS SVX. I'm not sure who they are, But I'm sure somebody will chime in.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The rear wheel steering on those ones are active. I believe they were operated by an electric motor and could turn the wheels up to 15° in a direction determined by vehicle speed. The rest of them have "passive" rear wheel steering.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation

[QUOTE=PDSides]Anybody here an expert on rear-wheel-steering as rumored on JDM SVXs?

Perhaps Aredubjay will emerge from his hiding place, & provide us with enlightenment on this once beaten-to-death subject

Ron. (Where for art thou, eddycat?)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Old Guy

"Perhaps Aredubjay will emerge from his hiding place, & provide us with enlightenment on this once beaten-to-death subject."

Ron, I'm sure it was "beaten-to-death" and I hesitated to bring it up again, but GM's use of rws on its light-duty pickup trucks and Lexus' use of rws on its "parks itself" LS450 has given me pause to wonder how an active rws system works. Seems to me that only low-speed use of such a system is practical because of all the position sensors and instant reaction mechanical gizmos that would be necessary for high-speed use. Passive, on the other hand, makes more sense to me for everyday driving, although I'm on the skeptical side when it comes to altering a car's "normal" steering response, especially at high speed. OK Aredubjay, send me something offline so we can trash this thread.
Preston
Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Can you read Japanese?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4WSVX.jpg (158.8 KB, 358 views)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Can you read Japanese?
No, I couldn't read it but it gave me a pretty good idea of how the rws was designed to work in the SVX. It read steering input, probably coupled with speed readings to determine the degree of rear-wheel turn out/in. This is pretty much what I suspected it to be but with fewer mechanical gizmos to do the job. I'm not a fan of such a system which, to my way of thinking is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. Again, I'm glad they didn't export this to the USA. I'll stick with low-speed rws as the practical application of such technology, for use in parking a trailer, getting into a very tight spot, or for parallel parking (maybe other low-speed uses - my list is not complete). Thanks for the info.
Preston
Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Can you read Japanese?
Yes I can. I have problems with English though

It basically says

Some SVX equipped with electric controlled AWS system. It only activates in mid-hi speed range, up to only 1.5 degrees.(rear steers same direction as front) Meaning it doensn't work when you are parking or etc. It was only meant for hi speed stability improvement. The steer angle is determined by the speed sensor.

Since it's not oil pressured pump system, it won't put any load on the engine.

When the system failed, it will cut the power to the motor immediately and hold the angle at that point. (means may not be streight)

Make sense?

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaRyu
Yes I can. I have problems with English though

It basically says

Some SVX equipped with electric controlled AWS system. It only activates in mid-hi speed range, up to only 1.5 degrees.(rear steers same direction as front) Meaning it doensn't work when you are parking or etc. It was only meant for hi speed stability improvement. The steer angle is determined by the speed sensor.

Since it's not oil pressured pump system, it won't put any load on the engine.

When the system failed, it will cut the power to the motor immediately and hold the angle at that point. (means may not be streight)

Make sense?
I was told several years ago, by the wife of an SVX owner with AWS, that she hated the car, because the AWS caused complete confusion when trying to park, particularly when reversing into a space..

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
[
Perhaps Aredubjay will emerge from his hiding place, & provide us with enlightenment on this once beaten-to-death subject

Ron. (Where for art thou, eddycat?)
The skateboard theory!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I was told several years ago, by the wife of an SVX owner with AWS, that she hated the car, because the AWS caused complete confusion when trying to park, particularly when reversing into a space..
Perhaps that happens when you try to reverse into a space at more than 40km/h (the speed at which the 4WS activates)

There is some technical info in my locker about the Mitsubishi 4WS system. They use a hydraulic rather than our electrical system but the principles are the same.

I much prefer the handling of our 4WS car over that of our non-4WS car. It feels more stable at speed and can change direction very quickly.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Prelude to disaster

Quote:
I wonder Trevor if that lady had ever driven an early 90s Honda Prelude with 4ws? And then convinced herself the SVX was behaving the same?

The Prelude, at least some of them, had also a 4ws set-up.

The control system in the Honda was set to turn the wheels the same direction as the front steer axle beyond certain speeds, maybe about 50km/h, not sure on that. As Phil mentions, this makes for rapid lane changes on the motorway, and good stability.

At parking speeds, the rear wheels in the Honda turned the opposite way to the front steer axle. In theory this meant the car could turn quickly into a tight space. In practice, particularly if you were not a good parker, it meant you might be put out a little by the car turning in faster than you expected.

It is possible she may have had trouble with a Honda, then changed to an SVX with 4ws, and convinced herself she did not like it, knowing it had also got 4ws, but not knowing it was different.

I have seen ads for the SVX describing that it accelerates quickly when the "turbo" comes in I'd say these people genuinely think the SVX has a turbo, because the Power mode comes on.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I wonder Trevor if that lady had ever driven an early 90s Honda Prelude with 4ws? And then convinced herself the SVX was behaving the same?

The Prelude, at least some of them, had also a 4ws set-up.

The control system in the Honda was set to turn the wheels the same direction as the front steer axle beyond certain speeds, maybe about 50km/h, not sure on that. As Phil mentions, this makes for rapid lane changes on the motorway, and good stability.

At parking speeds, the rear wheels in the Honda turned the opposite way to the front steer axle. In theory this meant the car could turn quickly into a tight space. In practice, particularly if you were not a good parker, it meant you might be put out a little by the car turning in faster than you expected.

It is possible she may have had trouble with a Honda, then changed to an SVX with 4ws, and convinced herself she did not like it, knowing it had also got 4ws, but not knowing it was different.

I have seen ads for the SVX describing that it accelerates quickly when the "turbo" comes in I'd say these people genuinely think the SVX has a turbo, because the Power mode comes on.

Joe
Merry Christmas Joe,

There was no confusion with a Honda and as it was described to me the SVX is the same in reverse. No one took to this stuff and the sales depts quickly took note.

I had a friend who had a Honda with AWS and I tried it for handling, by way of interest. As a result there is no way I would own an AWS vehicle and I had this in mind when I purchased my SVX.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Merry Christmas Joe,

There was no confusion with a Honda and as it was described to me the SVX is the same in reverse. No one took to this stuff and the sales depts quickly took note.

I had a friend who had a Honda with AWS and I tried it for handling, by way of interest. As a result there is no way I would own an AWS vehicle and I had this in mind when I purchased my SVX.

Cheers, Trevor.
Hello Trevor, Merry Christmas to you and family as well.

That is interesting what you say. Maybe the reverse steering happens at parking speeds in reverse then?

Phil likes his and has put many miles on it. not having driven one, I'll reserve judgment.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Merry Christmas Joe,

Cheers, Trevor.
Not wishing to disagree with you Trevor, and incur your poetic wrath , but I haven't experienced the problem you are talking about. Our system seems to work exactly as described in the Subaru document translated by SubaRyu above.

However, if your friends 4WS system had failed then it is possible that the back wheels may have become stuck at 1.5 degrees left or right. I imagine that would cause the car to steer in a rather unusual manner.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II