How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
MacArthur

Re: bizzare leakage on rear passenger floor

I had the same problem. My mechanic said the water vapour barrier inside the door had separated from the door because the sealant that holds the water vapour barrier onto the door had become old and the water vapour barrier had separated from the sealant and was more or less only hanging there without doing anything. That separated clear flimsy 25 cent plastic water barrier allowed water to enter the car and ruined by ABS control module and soaked the carpets, too, and ruined the speaker in the door, too. Anyway, that's what he told me.

~ Robert
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

i had this problem but it was coolant and ended up being the heater core had a hole eroded in it somewhere . quick bypass and its fixed tho it does get cold sometimes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
i had this problem but it was coolant and ended up being the heater core had a hole eroded in it somewhere . quick bypass and its fixed tho it does get cold sometimes
I have exactly the same problem and currently also have the heater core bypassed.

The source of the leak was very, very difficult to locate. It happens that there is a natural path, due to accidental formation of the floor sections, in the firewall, cross brace and the rear floor well. After much frustrating investigation, I found that mine did not leak and then only as a trickle, unless the car was in use and the heater system under pressure. Pressurising the cooling system with the front floor and firewall area exposed, at long last exposed the problem.

Even after finding what was happening, it is difficult to accept how the flow path could exist. This could be one for the "how too" section.

As our winter is nearly here I have the job of getting to the leak, Has anyone some helpful advice, concerning the anticipated grief expected in removing all the decorative clobber.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous

I had this issue, and it was a bad seal around the permanent glass on that side.

Some caulking and never had another problem.

Whatever you do, take the carpet out and let it dry. I had to replace a whole carpet because the water was standing and grew mold under it. Not to mention the formation of rust on the floorboards will lead to eventual floor rot. Needless to say I just gutted the car and cleaned everything nicely, sanded and painted any rusted areas and called it a day. A very expensive one.

-sz
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
As our winter is nearly here I have the job of getting to the leak, Has anyone some helpful advice, concerning the anticipated grief expected in removing all the decorative clobber.
Trevor,
I pulled mine without removing the front seats. I think that it would have been a much easier job had I removed them also.
Other than that, it's just a job that involves much patience. Lots of bolts and nuts to remove. If you do it inside a garage make sure you have enough room to have a door that can swing fully open. The dashboard is large and one piece making it difficult to extract if the door can't get all the way opened.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.