How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 10:39 AM

ANOTHER dead alternator

Ok, I dont know what the problem is, but my SVX is killing alternators. when I got it alittle over a year ago, the alternator had just been replaced with a duralast one from autozone. About 2 months later, it died. I had a re-built one installed, and it was fine for about 10 months. Then it died. I put in a used one from Budfreaks parted out SVX, and that was ok for a month, and now htis one died. Im heading to the dealsership to get a genuine Subaru remanufactured one. But what is killing these? Its costing me a fortune. The battery has also been replaced a few times.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:18 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
But what is killing these?
Virtually all alternators come with a warranty. Only the first one should cost you anything.

I'd measure the voltage at all points along the charging system.
That means measure:
1.) Between the battery terminals
2.) Between the negative battery terminal and the alternator case
3.) Between the positive battery terminal and the alternator charging wire stud
4.) Between the charging wire stud and the alternator case.

There should be about 14ish volts between the terminals (1) and the charging wire stud and case (4).
There should be almost no voltage differential along the cables (2) and (3). Excessive voltage differential along (2) and (3) indicates resistance in the charging or engine ground wire, and that can cook your alternator. Also, if the alternator is working that hard, it will generate lots of heat somewhere in the system. Feel the cables, the battery, and the alternator to see it anything gets especially warm.

Last edited by UberRoo; 08-26-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
the parts store ones never seem to hold up what have you done with the other alternators? why not give rebuilding one a shot
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-26-2006, 05:13 PM

In terms of the warranties and rebuilding them, here has been my situations so far:
first dead one: Back when I had no knowledge of cars, didnt know why my car shut off while driving. Towed it to a shop, they put in a remanufactured one, with no warranty on it at all. also put in a new battery. This one survived for 10 months.

Second dead one: I had a job interview coming up in 2 days, and needed to have my SVX running soon. I got Budfreaks used one from his parts car, and had him send it to me ASAP. This one lived for a month and a half.

Third dead one: Last night, while I was about 70 miles form home visiting some friends, all of the warning lights came on again, but I had enough battery power to make it back to my friend street. I had to work today at 2:00, and HAD TO BE HERE! I searched all over the internet, but all of the cheap used alternators in Colorado were located way too far away, and my only choice was a dealrship about 10 miles form my frineds house, who just happened to have 2 alternators. I got my friend to drive me there, switched my alternators out, and made it to work only 5 minutes late.

So, now I have a good new one under the hood, and 2 bad ones. I have to return one of the bad ones to the dealership for a $50 core refund. The other one I am goign to rebuild and keep as a backup in the car, so that if this happens again, I wont need to spend $285 for a new one. I would have re-built the other ones, but unfortunately, I just needed my car running at that time, and had to put money aside so that I could get to certain places on time.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:04 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
...all of the warning lights came on again...
What do you mean by "all" and "again"? A bad alternator won't cause all the warning lights to come on. You might get a battery / alternator warning light, but nothing else. If you get a bunch of warning lights, that's usually just a broken belt. Have you had any of these old alternators tested? You might have to call around to find an auto parts store that has a testing machine, but they'll test it for free. Also, just 'cause you have a new battery doesn't necessarily mean it's any good. Battery impedance testers are probably the best tester available, and again, if the auto parts store has the equipment, they'll test it at no charge.

Still, do the voltage differential test before you blow a ton of money on more parts. You can pick up a cheap multimeter for a few bucks on the internet, and not a whole lot more from a local store.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
I went through 2 "new" alternators from Autozone right after I got my SVX. They both lasted about 3 months and I had to wait for delivery for about 2 weeks on both of them. Never again. Each of the three times my alternator failed I got the "Christmas Tree" of idot lights. This is just a faulty circuit design and not an indication of catastrophic failure!

I then bought a 95A remanufacture Excel alternator from discountautoparts.com and had it shipped overnight.

Additionally, I installed a giant 850CCA? (not sure) battery and fully charged it prior to starting the car cleaned and check all the grounds I could find. Everything seems to work better, windows etc.. and it's lasted about 18 months.

I'd make sure your battery is fully trickle charged before you start the car for the first time with a new alternator, and stay away from the parts store remanufactured ones.

Last edited by greggbzz; 08-26-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Quote:
A bad alternator won't cause all the warning lights to come on.
I've read in past threads that all the warning lights go on when the alternator goes bad. That was my experience too.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:58 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
If you still have the reciept for the Autozone one I'd take the remaining alternator back for a new rebuilt one. Take that rebuilt one to another Autozone and ask for a refund, take that money and do what gregg did minus the overnight shipping. Emphasis must be put on using a fully charged battery, I wouldn't recommend a dry or gel cell battery either. I think using a half charged battery really puts a strain on the alternator. Before doing all that follow UberRoo's advise. I too had to go through all of this, including the dealership no-no because of ignorance. Only it was $300 and some and they forgot to tighten my tensioner so it dug into the bracket. They also forgot to tighten the belt cover so the belt ripped through it. Live and learn I guess
Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 AM

A couple of responses:
First of all, a bad alternator WILL turn on all of the warning lights, not just the battery one. I am 100% positive of that, do a search, and you will find it referred to as a "christmas tree". also, The belt is not broken, and I did replace it only about 10,000 miles ago.
Second, I have had the alternators and battery tested a number of times. The alternators were all dead, but the battery was still good. After the first dead alternator, I got a new battery. When the second alternator died, I took the battery (only 1 year old) back to interstate, and they checked it out, and sent it back in working order.
Third, the Autozone alternator was put in by the previous owner. I have the reciept for it, but by now, that was about 16 months ago.
I am going to do the voltage measuring ASAP. If I cant find anything wrong, then I will move on from there.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:20 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
It should be a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Sorry to hear the alternator croaked on you.Good luck man. Hope you find something out in the testing.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:16 PM
SVX Appeal

The idiot light Christmas tree appears before the engine dies? Bizarre... I've lost an alternator before, and I didn't even get a charging system warning light. (I'm not sure the SVX has one for that.) I guess I never ran the battery low enough to get those special effects. I'm surprised that the engine would continue to run even if every other system on the car decided to throw a light on the tree.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
It should be a lifetime warranty.
I have never heard of Autozone alternators having a lifetime warranty, that just doesnt seem good for business, because eventually, all alternators WILL die, its just a matter of time and mileage. But you're saying if I still have the reciept, and I still have a dead alternator from them (technically, I do, but it was rebuilt, and then died) I can go in there and have them give me a new alternator?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
The idiot light Christmas tree appears before the engine dies? I'm surprised that the engine would continue to run even if every other system on the car decided to throw a light on the tree.
This is definetly true. When my first alternator died, only the ABS light came on, and then about 5 miles farther down the road, the other lights all came on. A minute later, the car died. Then when the second alternator died, I got a battery light that was ALWAYS on (even when the car was off), and then eventually, all of the lights on again, with just enough power to pull into my driveway. When this last one died, I had all of the lights come on, but had enough power to go another 3 miles or so to my frineds house. What is happening is that the system no longer has enough power to run the engine AND perform the checks it normally does ot say that the systems are ok. so it stops checking the systems, and the computer htinks that they all have problems, so it throw the lights on. Then you run out of all power and your engine dies.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Has anyone checked the battery condition? Its possible that the battery may have an internally shorted plate, or enough material inside the bottom of the battery that can temporarily short out the battery internally and take the altenator with it.
There arent many things here to go wrong, the altenator, the battery, or a dead short which would cause all sorts of smoke and angry wires.
Whe the altenator goes bad, you will get more then the batery light on depending upon the failure mode. Sometimes the bat light will never come on, but the brake light will.

nipper