Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
The battery is coming on 4 years old. My alternator resurrected itself this morning, wasn't working on the drive back home, until the last 5 miles, when all my dash lights suddenly disappeared.

Measuring the battery output while the car was running was 13.6, while the alternater was working (i think).

intermittent alternator, intermittent connection problem?
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by htyei
The battery is coming on 4 years old. My alternator resurrected itself this morning, wasn't working on the drive back home, until the last 5 miles, when all my dash lights suddenly disappeared.

Measuring the battery output while the car was running was 13.6, while the alternater was working (i think).

intermittent alternator, intermittent connection problem?
Intermittent alternator problem, possibly an internal connection e.g. dry soldered joint in the diode pack, or whatever.

The dash indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Intermittent alternator problem, possibly an internal connection e.g. dry soldered joint in the diode pack, or whatever.

The dash indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights.
trevor dont you ever get tired of posting the same thing over and over?
have you checked the belt tention on the alt?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivman1243
trevor dont you ever get tired of posting the same thing over and over?
have you checked the belt tention on the alt?
Yes I do, but I find this necessary as do my very best to provide correct information and make sure my posts are exactly understandable. This does require time and effort.

Now why would I check my alternator belt tension? Most certainly not, as a result of experiencing the symptoms described here.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by htyei
Hi Trevor, I've been busy reading all the electrical threads ( I dont pretend to understand them all), and youre posts have been very helpful.

On a whim, I decided to take the car to Autozone and get the alternator checked. According to them, there is no response from the alternator, and it could be a ground problem...or does that just mean the alternator is dead as a doorknob?

I've measure the the car off voltage difference between the battery posts (12.46 on a charged battery) and from the positive battery post to the end of of the tan connector on the alternator and measure 12.20, so it doesnt seem to be a connection problem to me, but then my electronics experience is pretty shaky.

Anything else I can check easily with a 10 dollar multimeter?
I am sure that you will find that your cheap multi meter is much more reiiable than some monkey at Autozone. That said, from what you have reported here it would appear certain that you have a faulty alternator.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't think Trevor is an actual person...just a very accurate auto-responder script